Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

By definition, when you are born there. I would even extend it to having your family go back a few generations. I'm from New York City, but my parents are not. While I consider myself a New Yorker, and consider it my 'home town', I do not consider myself a 'native' New Yorker even though I was technically born in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 01:54 PM

811 posts, read 1,053,701 times
I don't consider children of transplants natives, even though the children may have been born in the area.

Why?

Culturally, they're not native. They're more influenced by their parents and speak more in line like someone from another region.

It really takes two generations removed from the region from which the grandparent came to be called a native of another region.

Why?

Generation 1 (G1)-Grandparent: Culturally and linguistically like that of the other region.-not native
(G2)- Parent: Culturally and linguistically a hybrid, often closer to that of the grandparent.-not native.
(G3)- Grandchild: Culturally and linguistically somewhat closer to the transplanted region. Can claim native status.

If, however, one of the grandparents is a native of the transplanted region, then their children (G2) can be called natives. It's when both of the G1 generation are transplants when it takes two generations to claim native status, in my opinion.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:58 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,272 times
High-school is usually the bench mark. That's the school that shaped you most and you grew up.

If you spent your high-school years in several states then you're truly from nowhere

Old 09-03-2012, 02:01 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
I don't consider children of transplants natives, even though the children may have been born in the area.

Why?

Culturally, they're not native. They're more influenced by their parents and speak more in line like someone from another region.

It really takes two generations removed from the region from which the grandparent came to be called a native of another region.

Why?

Generation 1 (G1)-Grandparent: Culturally and linguistically like that of the other region.-not native
(G2)- Parent: Culturally and linguistically a hybrid, often closer to that of the grandparent.-not native.
(G3)- Grandchild: Culturally and linguistically somewhat closer to the transplanted region. Can claim native status.

If, however, one of the grandparents is a native of the transplanted region, then their children (G2) can be called natives. It's when both of the G1 generation are transplants when it takes two generations to claim native status, in my opinion.
You really think so? I think that if you're the child of transplants, like I was, you're still more like those of the region you're in as you grow up with more people from that area than from your parent's area, if that makes sense. I mean really, who has more influence: parents or friends and people you're surrounded with?

Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
well native is a rather ambiguous term, especially when it comes to US where everybody is descended from immigrants or immigrant themselves. I'm immigrant myself, but came at age 2 and grew up in NJ ever since.
No it's not. It has a very precise definition, namely that if you were born somewhere, you are a native of that place. You might be able to say you grew up in New Jersey, but you are not a native of New Jersey.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:24 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No it's not. It has a very precise definition, namely that if you were born somewhere, you are a native of that place. You might be able to say you grew up in New Jersey, but you are not a native of New Jersey.
The Webster's definition I posted earlier stated that a native is born or raised in the local area.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The Webster's definition I posted earlier stated that a native is born or raised in the local area.
Well, without dashing to my bookcase downstairs, here's what my computer's dictionary said:

noun
a person born in a specified place or associated with a place by birth, whether subsequently resident there or not: a native of Montreal | an eighteen-year-old Brooklyn native.

Or to Dictionary.com

a person born in a particular place or country: a native of Ohio.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:42 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, without dashing to my bookcase downstairs, here's what my computer's dictionary said:

noun
a person born in a specified place or associated with a place by birth, whether subsequently resident there or not: a native of Montreal | an eighteen-year-old Brooklyn native.

Or to Dictionary.com

a person born in a particular place or country: a native of Ohio.
There are obviously different definitions (as with nearly every other word in the English language). In my opinion, the modern meaning of native would include someone who was raised in a particular place as well as someone who is born there. If you disagree then okay.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
"Native" derives from the Latin "natus", meaning "born". Thus, a "native" of a particular place is one who was born there.

One's hometown or home state is not necessarily one's native town or state.

The only way one can be a "native" of two states would be if one were born on the state line! (there are a few places where this would be very possible, assuming the hospital delivery rooms in places such as Bristol TN/VA are right on the line).

Discussions such as this always remind me of my schoolteacher mother's story about her young student, who told her he didn't know where he was born (he was around 12, quite old enough to know such a thing). She pressed him further - at which he declared that he was "born on a steamboat, going down the Mississippi River!"

My mother told him just to list the state on the nearest bank on the required school form.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
There are obviously different definitions (as with nearly every other word in the English language). In my opinion, the modern meaning of native would include someone who was raised in a particular place as well as someone who is born there. If you disagree then okay.
I agree with the above. But someone can be from a place (although not a native) if one has lived in that place many years and has no intention of moving anywhere else (in particular not back to the place where they might be considered a native).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.