Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 12:07 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
He/she said you'd find them throughout the entire South. That's not true. You'll find plantations dotted throughout most of the South, this is true. But the entire South does not have "a lot of African Americans" throughout both the Upper South and Deep South:
Your map shows that, outside of Appalachia, there are a lot of black people throughout most of the South. At least that's the way I'm reading it...there are areas where there are less black people than others and some where there are more, of course. I'm not saying they are distributed equally.

I'm not arguing with you, but just agreeing that the Upper and Deep South are more alike than different. There are some differences of course, but more similarities. That's just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 12:10 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Your map shows that, outside of Appalachia, there are a lot of black people throughout the South. At least that's the way I'm reading it.
You're making it seem like Appalachia is just some tiny part of the South. It doesn't constitute the majority of the region, but it's still a HUGE area comprising a pretty big chunk of the Upper South where there are relatively little Blacks--namely almost all of KY and WV, half of AR and TN, and sizable portions of NC and VA and smaller portions of GA and AL. A large Black population is not characteristic of all areas of the South. The map makes that quite plain.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:12 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
You're making it seem like Appalachia is just some tiny part of the South. It doesn't constitute the majority of the region, but it's still a HUGE area comprising a pretty big chunk of the Upper South where there are relatively little Blacks. A large Black population is not characteristic of all areas of the South. The map makes that quite plain.
Those are your words, not mine. I'm not making it seem like anything. Maps are interpretive and not always "quite plain".

You get awfully aggressive when someone even slightly differs with you. I'm not interested in going back and forth with you again over some minute detail.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Those are your words, not mine. I'm not making it seem like anything.

You get awfully aggressive when someone even slightly differs with you. I'm not interested in going back and forth with you again.
LOL, there's absolutely no aggression on my part but I simply don't think your argument holds up; you are the one that seems to get upset when you have trouble defending your own argument (which is very different from anyone else I've encountered here in C-D, which has certainly been longer than you've been here). Anyway, I went back and added detail that explains why it's incorrect to say that the entire South has a lot of Black people. According to the map, there are counties with very small Black populations in almost all of KY and WV, half of AR and TN, and sizable portions of NC and VA and smaller portions of GA and AL. That's a huge chunk of the South and the map makes that highly evident. Furthermore, being a Black native of the Deep South myself and in recent years having worked in north Georgia in particular and seeing the phenomenon firsthand gives me a firsthand perspective on it.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:26 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
He/she said you'd find them throughout the entire South. That's not true. You'll find plantations dotted throughout most of the South, this is true. But the entire South does not have "a lot of African Americans" throughout both the Upper South and Deep South:
I would say that this map is the best indication of the line between the deep south and the upper south.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:31 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times
I guess a lot is relative. My hometown of Bristol va/tn was pretty mixed I feel. Upper south definitely has less but as a nationwide percentage I feel like it is higher. And we do have a LOT of plantation houses. My hometown of 20k people has 2 by itself.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I guess a lot is relative. My hometown of Bristol va/tn was pretty mixed I feel. Upper south definitely has less but as a nationwide percentage I feel like it is higher. And we do have a LOT of plantation houses. My hometown of 20k people has 2 by itself.
Plantation houses may be more clustered in the Deep South, but they are indeed scattered throughout the Upper South as well. But as far as Black populations go, definitely much less concentrated in the Upper South up through Appalachia with only a few exceptions. The Kingsport-Bristol metro area is less than 2% Black, Bristol, VA is 5.5% Black, and Bristol, TN is 3% Black. I don't think that's considered "a lot" by most standards, LOL.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:42 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times
Hm..maybe I just lived in a bad part of town lol

Old 09-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Hm..maybe I just lived in a bad part of town lol
Like really...

Old 09-15-2012, 12:59 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Plantation houses may be more clustered in the Deep South, but they are indeed scattered throughout the Upper South as well. But as far as Black populations go, definitely much less concentrated in the Upper South up through Appalachia with only a few exceptions. The Kingsport-Bristol metro area is less than 2% Black, Bristol, VA is 5.5% Black, and Bristol, TN is 3% Black. I don't think that's considered "a lot" by most standards, LOL.
What would be your dividing line? I think about >10% black population in a small town or rural area could begin to indicate that you may be in the south. Notice I said "MAY"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.