Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM

630 posts, read 1,264,802 times

Advertisements

The upper south/deep south divide isn't what it used to be. There used to be a very stark contrast that manifested itself in economics, politics, segregation and infrastructure. But that was back when almost the entire south was rural. If you had to live in the south, and you weren't a fan of modern day feudalism, you would have wanted to live in the upper south, because things weren't so clannish and oppressive up there.

But today, it seems like there's more of an urban/rural divide that doesn't discriminate between north and south. I'd much rather live in Atlanta or Charleston than Southern Appalachia or Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 PM

567 posts, read 1,012,201 times
I've lived in Eastern, NC my entire life. You have beautiful mountains, beautiful beaches and flat land if that's your thing. I will always call this home.

I think it was Southernman that stated that the south starts when you see spanish moss in the oaks? I've seen quite a few properties with spanish moss in the trees around here. Especially around old farm plantations.

From Wiki:
Due to its propensity for growing in humid southern locales like Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, Eastern North Carolina, southeastern Virginia, South Carolina, Texas, and Alabama, the plant is often associated with Southern Gothic imagery.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,621 times
I love my deep southern Louisiana lifestyle.
If I had to live out of state though, I would prefer to move into the Appalachians somewhere or in southern Maryland, which is still very South.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
In the early 20th century, you began seeing Upper South cities, with increasing industrial development (e.g., textile mills), surpass the Lower South cities in the coastal plain regions in population and importance as that region was more dependent on agrarian slave labor. However many Lower South (or Deep South) cities have since begun to come into their own once again, carving out unique niches based on their rich history and culture. The differences are rather interesting to note and I'm glad the South has both of these sorts of cities.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:09 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In the early 20th century, you began seeing Upper South cities, with increasing industrial development (e.g., textile mills), surpass the Lower South cities in the coastal plain regions in population and importance as that region was more dependent on agrarian slave labor. However many Lower South (or Deep South) cities have since begun to come into their own once again, carving out unique niches based on their rich history and culture. The differences are rather interesting to note and I'm glad the South has both of these sorts of cities.
You make a good point. A lot of southern cities in the deep south have come into their own in that they've actively marketed their southernness as a selling point as opposed to relying on other things. The state of Mississippi's travel website lists it's slogan as, "find your south." Whereas you don't typically see knoxville or roanoke or any other upland south marketing themselves as overly "southern." However you do see a lot of overtly "appalchian" marketing where I grew up in Southwest VA. The Virginia tourism website lists SWVA as the "Heart of Appalachia," and travel Appalachia's website has a big article on SWVA being the heart of appalachia. So they've definitely tried to sell it on that point as well. That being said I'm happy the south has such badass areas...it's nice to have all the diversity around and to not have to leave the cozy confines of dixie!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:26 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,551 times
The historic springs of the Virginias were the favorite vacation destinations of the Deep South. It was at Old Sweet Springs and the Old White in Greenbrier County that a young Henry Clay discovered the mint julep and popularized the Virginia drink in DC and Kentucky. The springs are undoubtedly responsible for the spread of the julep in the deep south, as returning visitors brought it back with them

A Driving Tour of Historic Springs in West Virginia and Virginia - On My Mind with Julie Register on DiscoverSpas.com

Greenbrier Culinary Community: The Story of The Mint Julep

Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I wouldn't live in either.
And I wouldn't live in Texas. What's it to any of you, anyway?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:58 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
The historic springs of the Virginias were the favorite vacation destinations of the Deep South. It was at Old Sweet Springs and the Old White in Greenbrier County that a young Henry Clay discovered the mint julep and popularized the Virginia drink in DC and Kentucky. The springs are undoubtedly responsible for the spread of the julep in the deep south, as returning visitors brought it back with them

A Driving Tour of Historic Springs in West Virginia and Virginia - On My Mind with Julie Register on DiscoverSpas.com

Greenbrier Culinary Community: The Story of The Mint Julep
I agree. I have taken some heat for this in other forums but I truly believe that Virginia's culture is one of the most important for what we now regard as a southern identity. I know that a lot of people disagree with that but I just can't get over the fact that some people have the audacity to claim that va isn't southern anymore yet the state itself is responsible for a large portion of what we regard as uniquely southern traits and history. Obviously civil war with R.E. Lee and all the battles on VA's soil which obviously seems like stuff that is so far gone but also more current traits. Sweet Tea, Cotton, Tobacco farming, Plantation houses, the confederacy, mint juleps, country music, moonshine, nascar, etc...all these have very significant cultural ties to VA.

But that's all beside the point of what this thread is talking about. I obviously prefer the upper south, lol. But I still LOVE the deep south. Sometimes theres just nothing better than a trip to visit my uncle in Prattville, AL and a trip down to the gulf for some badass food and time at the beach. I love the mountains but the water ain't bad either.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
When I was younger the deep south (gulf coast) was great, beaches, parties, shrimp fresh of the boat...
Now that I'm older I prefer the upper south (Appalachia) with it's cooler weather, change of seasons and gorgeous scenery, outdoor activities and festivals that can be enjoyed year round.
Very similar to the way I feel. Being from Southeast Texas, the Deep South is my home, and I love the food and the people, but I often envy the near-perfect weather and scenery of the Upper South.

This thread has made me think about how I would split up those parts of the entire South that aren't the Deep South, and it would go something like this:

Upper South: Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, eastern 2/3's of Tennessee, Upland South Carolina, North Georgia, and Far North Alabama

South Florida: self-explanatory

Mid-South: West Tennessee, (most of) Arkansas, and Far North Mississippi

Outer/Western South: Oklahoma and most of non-East Texas

Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Very similar to the way I feel. Being from Southeast Texas, the Deep South is my home, and I love the food and the people, but I often envy the near-perfect weather and scenery of the Upper South.

This thread has made me think about how I would split up those parts of the entire South that aren't the Deep South, and it would go something like this:

Upper South: Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, eastern 2/3's of Tennessee, Upland South Carolina, North Georgia, and Far North Alabama

South Florida: self-explanatory

Mid-South: West Tennessee, (most of) Arkansas, and Far North Mississippi

Outer/Western South: Oklahoma and most of non-East Texas
Excluding Tidewater VA and eastern NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.