Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
So...parts of Arkansas are in the Mid-South, Deep South, Western South, and Upper South. I think we win the contest for having the most different types of "Souths."

haha i've only been through ARK on I40 but it seemed to fit the bill. I liked everything I saw about Arkansas..........except the roads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 03:55 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,949,906 times
Quote:
So...parts of Arkansas are in the Mid-South, Deep South, Western South, and Upper South. I think we win the contest for having the most different types of "Souths."

I agree. The South is the South from Virginia to Texas and all this BS about upper, deep, etc, etc is ridiculous.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:33 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I agree. The South is the South from Virginia to Texas and all this BS about upper, deep, etc, etc is ridiculous.
I think it all stems from all of the negative connotations and stereotypes associated with the South...many people are terrified that someone will think they are southern, so they come up with these "southern-lite" subregions to ease their fears. It really doesn't work. The South is the South.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:33 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
LOL...well it's the biggest region of the country geographically.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:58 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
I don't think people are afraid of admitting they're part of the south, I think these little "Southern-lite" regions are created because some areas of historically Southern states really DON'T exude any Southern characteristics. I know some folks are gonna say "Well, most big Southern cities don't exude stereotypical Southern culture" yeah they do. If they don't, then how would you define Southern culture? Does it exist? So no, the South isn't the South. El Paso for instance is in a Southern state, but who'd consider El Paso Southern?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:38 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,568 times
Personally, I'd vote Upper South just because of the mountainous terrain.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I don't think people are afraid of admitting they're part of the south, I think these little "Southern-lite" regions are created because some areas of historically Southern states really DON'T exude any Southern characteristics. I know some folks are gonna say "Well, most big Southern cities don't exude stereotypical Southern culture" yeah they do. If they don't, then how would you define Southern culture? Does it exist? So no, the South isn't the South. El Paso for instance is in a Southern state, but who'd consider El Paso Southern?
Yes, southern culture exists and it exists in all parts of the South - even in the places where, in your opinion, there are no southern characteristics. Keep in mind that is just an opinion.

Who would even consider El Paso American, much less southern?

Some people certainly are afraid (or ashamed) to be associated with the South. Skim through some city-data threads and see for yourself - it's rampant. There is an obvious fear in some people of being called southern. I'm thinking you might have it yourself judging from the above post.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:19 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Personally, I'd vote Upper South just because of the mountainous terrain.
The higher elevation the better. I prefer Boone, NC the best for that reason, but it is strictly a college town. 2,000ft elevation is generally a baseline requirement that I have once I venture further south. Otherwise the heat/humidity combination is really awful.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
So, I've never had boiled peanuts and I'm curious what they taste like. I almost bought them in Homestead, Florida, but passed in the end. I haven't found them in Northern Virginia yet, but I'll keep looking.
You're not likely to find them in northern Virginia - and I can't find them in Texas either. They are a DEEEEEEP south phenomenon - like Georgia, Alabama and coastal Mississippi.

Next time you see them - treat yourself to a hot paper bag full of 'em! DON'T EAT THE SHELLS.

The correct way to eat them is to lightly pop the shell open with your teeth (whole nut inside your mouth is best!) and then spit out the shell. That salty water and that warm peanut inside is DELICIOUS!

They come in plain (plain salty that is) and Cajun spice - both are good.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Southern-lite?
Well, okay. I don't think it's because people are afraid to say they're southern. I thinks it's more because the south is not all the same, and a southern experience in Mobile is going to be quite different than a southern experience in Northeast TN or Arkansas.
When people say they want to experience the south I always wonder exactly what they have in mind, are they thinking Mississippi riverboats, plantation homes,and cotton fields, or are they thinking log cabins, banjos, and squirrel stew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.