Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:28 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times

Advertisements

I'm intrigued (and concerned) about his comment that as an officer he felt he was hurting people. It does seem that a lot depends on the culture of the department.

Perhaps a smaller city with a less hardcore culture would be a better fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 04:30 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
This may help: Central New York Jobs

Old 09-05-2012, 04:39 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Indianapolis meets most of your criteria and this usually surprises people.
For a city of almost 2M people traffic EVEN during Rush hour isnt that bad in Indianapolis. Traffic moves and the worst bottleneck in the metro is along I-69 on the northeast side and yet if you compared it to Chicago or Washington D.C/LA etc. There just isnt a comparison.
2nd Indy has the nations most affordable housing market and lowest cost of living of any major US city. Plus we have all 4 seasons for you to enjoy but without to much snow. The Northeast is famous for its Nor'easters and massive blizzards that come from those. Indy will average 2 feet of snow per winter. However last winter during Super Bowl 46 temperatures were in the 50s and there wasnt a flake of snow on the ground. Winter was nothing last year.

Indianapolis has the 2nd strongest economy in the midwest after the Twin Cities and is a hot bed for job growth and relocations. Indy is the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest.
Crime is lower in Indianapolis than other similar sized cities and the best public schools in the state and ranked nationally are the Carmel/Fishers schools. Great schools with plenty of athletics and other programs.
The nearest mountains to Indy are the applachian mountains which are about 3-4 hours away.

Finally you can get alot of bang for your buck in Indianapolis in both cost of living and housing size.
Homes.com is what i use to check how affordable homes are in Indy
Hope this helps and have a wonderful evening.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
The OP's criteria..."We like seasons, but don't love masses of snow and long, cold, dark winters". Maybe it's me but Rochester, NY doesn't seem to fit that so well.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:15 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The OP's criteria..."We like seasons, but don't love masses of snow and long, cold, dark winters". Maybe it's me but Rochester, NY doesn't seem to fit that so well.
It fits the most important/rest of the criteria and weather wasn't as important. That is the only reason I mentioned it. If weather was a definite, then I would have never posted it. Winter can vary a bit up here and has in recent years.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 PM

6 posts, read 4,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I'm intrigued (and concerned) about his comment that as an officer he felt he was hurting people. It does seem that a lot depends on the culture of the department.

Perhaps a smaller city with a less hardcore culture would be a better fit.

Yes, that has also occurred to us. Hmm, in retrospect, that statement sounded really bad. It was just a very active, very aggressive department, which is to be expected given the area we are in, but you're right- it just wasn't a greatest fit.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 4,720 times
Thanks all for the help so far! Going to start some more research!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:39 AM

4 posts, read 5,349 times
We are from Ridgecrest, CA which is near the inland empire. It's very affordable to live and I'm sure with a lot if the qualifications your husband has he would likely we able to find a job on the China Lake Naval base...either a government or contractor job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.