Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
But let's be real, have we ever heard of a NYer wanting to move to those places?
No, but people from "more" adjacent places like New Orleans, St. Louis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Huntsville, or Winston-Salem might be "more" amenable to going there.

For me, the only places in the South I could live are Atlanta and the FL Panhandle, but I've heard that the Panhandle is transient because it is culturally deprived and its only asset being the beach gets boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 07:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Montgomery AL has an Air Force Base with personnel from nationwide.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No, but people from "more" adjacent places like New Orleans, St. Louis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Huntsville, or Winston-Salem might be "more" amenable to going there.

For me, the only places in the South I could live are Atlanta and the FL Panhandle, but I've heard that the Panhandle is transient because it is culturally deprived and its only asset being the beach gets boring.
I agree with you. I moved to ATL and lived for two months in Florida on the coast. Beach life gets boring after about the 5th day, honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Yeah but we're talking about people willingly packing up and going through all the trouble to move there.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
And so do minor cities in the middle of Texas.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
This is a good one. I've never been though.

My vote would be Montgomery Alabama. OMG. If you've ever driven between the FL Panhandle and ATL on a steamy hazy summer day, it seems like time stands still there.

I don't think Birmingham, Nashville or Memphis are contenders. And I think of Little Rock as too removed from the South, and more an extension of Texas.
Huh? First of all, Little Rock is solidly part of the south. Extension of Texas? Little Rock would be a fish out of water if it was located in the state of Texas. I agree about Nashville, and don't have a lot of information on Birmingham. Memphis doesn't have many transplants compared to other metro's in the Sun Belt and usually the transplants that are in Memphis relocated from the MS/AR Delta regions.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM

38 posts, read 91,720 times
Quote:
This is a good one. I've never been though.

My vote would be Montgomery Alabama. OMG. If you've ever driven between the FL Panhandle and ATL on a steamy hazy summer day, it seems like time stands still there.

I don't think Birmingham, Nashville or Memphis are contenders. And I think of Little Rock as too removed from the South, and more an extension of Texas.
Have you ever been to the south?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit chatter View Post
Previously southern Cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Richmond and Charleston seem to be full of Yankee Transplants. The southern hospitality is going way and many neighborhoods have more people with the Jersey charm than people who grew up in the south.

What relatively large cities and metro areas in the south still have mostly southerners and the resulting southern culture and hospitality?
These cities aren't "previously" Southern. Obviously the culture has become a bit hybridized with rapid growth, but they are still essentially Southern.

Otherwise, I agree with the mentions of Memphis (first city to come to mind actually) and Birmingham.

I wonder if New Orleans might be a candidate here...

Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Stop. Calling. Us. Yankees.

And to answer the question, I would assume plenty of the smaller, backwards Southern or Western towns.

Come on now you know the southerners will not stop doing that. The "us vs them" thing is part of southern culture and if you dont live in a state that was part of the confederacy they will continue to call you a yankee. Even in parts of the north the term yankee is a regional badge that is used with pride. When I have been to the northeast, especially New England they call themselves yankees. There is even a magazine called Yankee that deals with New England life. Now I live in the upper midwest and we never call ourselves that. When I hear the term yankee I think of northeast people. Southerners call us that because we are in the north, but to me they are just using the word incorrectly. A yankee is a northeasterner, NOT someone from Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana etc. Weve never called ourselves yankees in the midwest, but like I said its part of southern culture so that is thier perogative. I take no offense to it, but in my opinion its just geographically incorrect. Yankees live in New England and the northeast, or they are a hated baseball team from out east. lol

Old 09-11-2012, 08:17 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Come on now you know the southerners will not stop doing that. The "us vs them" thing is part of southern culture and if you dont live in a state that was part of the confederacy they will continue to call you a yankee. Even in parts of the north the term yankee is a regional badge that is used with pride. When I have been to the northeast, especially New England they call themselves yankees. There is even a magazine called Yankee that deals with New England life. Now I live in the upper midwest and we never call ourselves that. When I hear the term yankee I think of northeast people. Southerners call us that because we are in the north, but to me they are just using the word incorrectly. A yankee is a northeasterner, NOT someone from Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana etc. Weve never called ourselves yankees in the midwest, but like I said its part of southern culture so that is thier perogative. I take no offense to it, but in my opinion its just geographically incorrect. Yankees live in New England and the northeast, or they are a hated baseball team from out east. lol
I agree with you that a Yankee is a northeasterner, not a midwesterner. I don't even really know if there's a term that we call you guys.

I think the whole "Yankees calling each other Yankees" thing is like how it's fine when black people call other black people the N word but it's all offensive when white people call them that. I personally probably wouldn't care if another "Yankee" called me that, but it's never happened before and it just gets mad old when you hear it all the time.

Disclaimer: I'm not racist, I'm just sayin'.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRAZORHOG View Post
Have you ever been to the south?
I see you have 26 posts. Yes, I have, including owning a place in Atlanta, GA, which I've posted numerous times on different threads. From there, I've traveled to the Carolinas, to Jacksonville, and to the Panhandle. In fact, from the West, I have traveled specifically to vacation in Jacksoville and the Panhandle, thanks to excess frequent flyer tickets.

Places like Montgomery AL, Columbus GA and Macon GA still feel very Southern. In Jacksonville, I was told that west of the river is southern, and east of the river is Yankee, with the river being the St. John's, from both locals and transplants.

Each of the southern cities has different degrees of being southern, with metro Atlanta clearly the least southern.

I'm still going with Montgomery AL. Despite the nice people and iced tea in the fridge, what a snooze that would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.