Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Well, you are thinking wrong...
Also, for anyone that didn't know, a Southerner's definition of a "Yankee" is any American that isn't from the South. So, to a Southerner, a "Yankee" can be anyone from New York to Nebraska. It also isnt always intended to be an insulting term.
I was born practically adjacent to the Pacific Ocean and was called a Yankee in Atlanta. Of course, they were just joking. At least, I hope they were. When I was chided as such in an elevator, I told the "accuser" that "we weren't involved in the Civil War, because people were too busy panning for gold and fending off rattlesnakes." The other one I got was when some black chick was telling me about some southern evangelical Protestant religion (holiness ?) I had never heard of, she stopped and said "Tsk, I forgot, you a No'then man." No, you're 3,000 miles off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Im glad you are proud of where you live and its great you actually know your relatives who fought in the war. (most are ignorant of thier history) I have lived in the midwestern state of Michigan all my life, and my relatives fought for both sides. Yes the north won, but the south had some very valid consitutional points when it comes to states rights. (NO im not defending slavery) Alot was lost at appomattix courthouse in april 1865 when it comes to states rights and local control. Like you Im proud of where I come from, but I do admire the south both for the people and the beauty of the place. The people of the south are courteous and friendly, they respect the bible and traditional values and they are fiercly patriotic. There are parts of the north and western states that could use a bit more of this southern way of thinking. Traditional values and respect for our creator are almost non existant in parts of the northeast, and we have all heard some of those in our country that are actually ashamed of this nation and what it stands for. We all know the coastal areas in the northeast and west coast that are associated with this kind of thing so I wont list them. Another thing ive noticed about the people of the south is the fact they are very knowledgable about thier history. They know about thier local history and thier family history. The people of the south are often labled as backward and "narrowminded" as you said because of thier tendancy toward tradtional values and christianity. They reject a great deal of liberal modern politically correct thinking and again for that they are labled "narrowminded" It is a good thing to reject the things that are wrong, and its good that they have the sense to do it. Southerners are not ignorant, and there are plenty of good college towns down there as well. Your post suggests you think very little of the south, and see nothing but backward hicks and swamps. Im not trying to attack your post, but I think there is more to the south than what you think. The south is a fascinating place filled with the history of this nation. Civil war battlefields, revolutionary war battlefields, plantations, colonial cities, historic river towns etc, the list is endless. One thing I agree with you on is it can be too hot and humid there, some places should only be visited when it is NOT summer. lol I must admit I prefer the cold climate of the upper midwest, change of seasons, snow etc. On that point I think we agree.
Well - I lived on the south for a bit and I am sorry to offend but I did find it narrow minded. As I am not a "Christian" I felt completely isolated. My children were invited to church so they could be helped. It was not a comfortable place for my family and I. I am back in the north where religious freedoms are embraced (wasn't that what this country was founded on?) and couldn't be happier. The south has lovely parts but I dislike humidity - so give me cute parkas , ugg boots and snow any day. Btw - you can have good moral character and practice no religion

Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I was born practically adjacent to the Pacific Ocean and was called a Yankee in Atlanta. Of course, they were just joking. At least, I hope they were. When I was chided as such in an elevator, I told the "accuser" that "we weren't involved in the Civil War, because people were too busy panning for gold and fending off rattlesnakes." The other one I got was when some black chick was telling me about some southern evangelical Protestant religion (holiness ?) I had never heard of, she stopped and said "Tsk, I forgot, you a No'then man." No, you're 3,000 miles off.
I moved from CA to the south when I was 11. We too were called Yankees but that was in the 70s. The name calling doesn't happen much anymore since newbies to the south happen so often. At least that's true for Raleigh.

BTW, I too have heard the 3000 miles away used over the years...well.... fo decades. However, it's not really anywhere near 3000 miles.

Atlanta to Los Angeles by car is 2173 miles according to Google maps..... and only 1938 by air
Atlanta to San Francisco by car is 2472 miles.....and only 2138 by air

Even Seattle to Miami is only 2730 by air.

Sorry. This has been a pet peeve of mine for years.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Northern people get called "Yankees" in Memphis, but I think it's mostly just a joke. Most Northerners I know assimilate just fine because no one really cares where you're originally from. A lot of people can't even pick up on subtle Northern accents. People with strong Southern accents will get made fun of in Memphis just as much as someone with a Northern accent. I can't count how many times I've heard someone being described as "that really country guy/girl" because of their thick Southern accent

Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
Well - I lived on the south for a bit and I am sorry to offend but I did find it narrow minded. As I am not a "Christian" I felt completely isolated. My children were invited to church so they could be helped. It was not a comfortable place for my family and I. I am back in the north where religious freedoms are embraced (wasn't that what this country was founded on?) and couldn't be happier. The south has lovely parts but I dislike humidity - so give me cute parkas , ugg boots and snow any day. Btw - you can have good moral character and practice no religion

What area up north do you live in? I know here in rural central Michigan most people go to church, and church is very important in my town. The difference though between the midwest and the south when it comes to religion is that in the south people may be more aggressive about inviting you to thier church, and more inquisitive about your beliefs. Midwesterners are much more reserved , and a philosophy of "live and let live" seems to be how things are done here. If you are used to an area where you see very little religion, then Im going to guess you must be in the northeast, but I could be wrong. Just something to think about, people in the south also could call northeasterners narrowminded as well, as many of them will only accept a socially liberal, religion free worldview. They are just as focused on promoting that view of how the world should be as those who promote a religious family values kinda world down south. Here in the upper midwest I like to think of us as a middle ground between the extremes of the liberal northeast, and those in the conservative south. Oh and I do agree with you that you can seem to be of good moral character and be a good member of society without being religious. That does not mean I think we do not God, I am a christian and I believe we can only have salvation and heaven through our Lord Jesus Christ. (John 3:16)

Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
However, it's not really anywhere near 3000 miles.
Everybody uses this round figure. I remember that it IS less from the airline mileage statements when I used to fly more.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:19 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
As the great something grand child of Two union soldiers I am pleased and honored to be called a Yankee. After all -------we WON!!!! Thankfully
I am proud to be from the industrious, college dotted landscape of the north. Where the cold winds and piles of snow build a mighty strong constitution. Call us what you must. I would never live amongst the gators and kudzu, the swamps humidity and the narrowmindedness.
Talk about narrowmindedness...

Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Lol wow, you people enjoy nagging about some really lame details.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Lol wow, you people enjoy nagging about some really lame details.
I suppose that could be avoided by thinking about what you're saying before you say it. Possibly?

Old 09-13-2012, 01:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
lls..columbia, sc i guess..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.