Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Hard Time - Prison City - YouTube

Listen to this documentary and you'll find out.
The old man did sound like he had a mountain south accent. The other ones didn't sound southern to me.

Interesting documentary, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
The old man did sound like he had a mountain south accent. The other ones didn't sound southern to me.

Interesting documentary, by the way.
They sounded rather southern to me, at least slightly, even the skinhead from the Canton-Alliance area.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
They sounded rather southern to me, at least slightly, even the skinhead from the Canton-Alliance area.
The thing I noticed about him was that he was dropping his r's, which isn't a characteristic of most modern southern accents. (There are several southern accents that drop r's but the mountain south isn't one of them) It sounds more like a northern mountain dialect to me. Maybe others disagree since I'm far from an expert.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
The thing I noticed about him was that he was dropping his r's, which isn't a characteristic of most modern southern accents. (There are several southern accents that drop r's but the mountain south isn't one of them) It sounds more like a northern mountain dialect to me. Maybe others disagree since I'm far from an expert.
What do you think the guy from Canton sounds like(the skinny Neo-Nazi)? The guy who worked in the furniture factory?

Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
What do you think the guy from Canton sounds like(the skinny Neo-Nazi)? The guy who worked in the furniture factory?
That's the one that I'm not sure about....he has some southern influence in his speech without a doubt. Almost sounds like a mix between lower midland and some variant of southern speech. He sounds like a lot of people from parts of southern Missouri really. I doubt anyone would ask him where he was from if he talked like that around here.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
That's the one that I'm not sure about....he has some southern influence in his speech without a doubt. Almost sounds like a mix between lower midland and some variant of southern speech. He sounds like a lot of people from parts of southern Missouri really. I doubt anyone would ask him where he was from if he talked like that around here.
It makes me wonder what he grew up around. Sometimes people are a product of what they grow up with. I have heard people in Georgia speak in the similar manner of some of the prisoners.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
It makes me wonder what he grew up around. Sometimes people are a product of what they grow up with. I have heard people in Georgia speak in the similar manner of some of the prisoners.
Yeah. I am not even that old but I grew up out in the country with very few neighbors around. My parents didn't take vacations or really go anywhere so I was actually pretty isolated from people who didn't live near me. My ancestry is primarily Scotch-Irish & Welsh and you can still hear the influence in the speech of myself and most of my family. There was another family down the road of the same ancestry and they spoke what sounded like a mountain south accent except they pronounced pin & pen differently. Except for them, I haven't heard anyone else that was born and raised here do that. Accents can be pretty strange.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I am not even that old but I grew up out in the country with very few neighbors around. My parents didn't take vacations or really go anywhere so I was actually pretty isolated from people who didn't live near me. My ancestry is primarily Scotch-Irish & Welsh and you can still hear the influence in the speech of myself and most of my family. There was another family down the road of the same ancestry and they spoke what sounded like a mountain south accent except they pronounced pin & pen differently. Except for them, I haven't heard anyone else that was born and raised here do that. Accents can be pretty strange.
In my case, I'm the son of an African-American who grew up in the north, then moved to the South. I've spent part of my childhood in the Pacific Northwest. I've spent a large bit of my childhood in Georgia as well. I've spent more time in the rural parts of Georgia. My little sister has a slight southern accent, and she 's described as sounding "county". My brother, not so much, but he has a bit more of the "African-American English Vernacular" accent going for him, as does my father to a certain extent. How I never picked up AAVE or a Southern accent, some people are still trying to figure out. I never developed a Southern accent or an AAVE accent. People sometimes ask me if I'm from the Midwest or the far North(Minnesota, Wisconsin, Canada).

How I see it, the southern accent is becoming less numerous across major cities in the South, and is most likely found in the periphery of those large southern cities. The smaller cities with the least amount of transplants tend to have the most people with southern accents. I've taken a visit to Charleston. I've ran into so many people from Florida, and most of them don't have a southern accent. I also lived in Savannah for a short while. My teacher was from Florida via Michigan, no southern accent. She had a slight Michigan lilt to her accent for some reason. Most of the kids in my class didn't have a southern accent, even the ones born in Savannah. Only kid in my class did.

Ancestry can play a part too. Alot of southerners are descended from Scotch-Irish ancestry, and certain speech patterns from that time were brought over. The same could be said of places where alot of people of German ancestry have settled, such as Wisconsin. The accent is different and influenced by the people who settled there.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:03 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
If there is any Old South in Atlanta, it is most likely very subtle. To me, Atlanta is to the South what Chicago is to the Midwest. It is the big giant that everyone answers to. Atlanta doesn't feel like a southern city. However, if I go out to the faraway exurbs(such as those in Paulding County or Barrow County), it does feel very southern.
That isn't true at all, but maybe it depends on what kind of "Old South" you're looking for. If you're expecting to see girls in hoop skirts drinking mint juleps then you'll be disappointed in Atlanta. But if you're looking for the many historic structures/sites/battlefields, old southern clubs like the D.A.R. chapter or the Piedmont Driving Club, museums like Cyclorama or the Margaret Mitchell House, relics like the old train depot and the historic Underground area, or any number of other such things, then you'll find gobs of it in Atlanta. In a larger city you have to dig a little deeper - it's not just sitting out on the front porch like in Charleston or Savannah.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
In my case, I'm the son of an African-American who grew up in the north, then moved to the South. I've spent part of my childhood in the Pacific Northwest. I've spent a large bit of my childhood in Georgia as well. I've spent more time in the rural parts of Georgia. My little sister has a slight southern accent, and she 's described as sounding "county". My brother, not so much, but he has a bit more of the "African-American English Vernacular" accent going for him, as does my father to a certain extent. How I never picked up AAVE or a Southern accent, some people are still trying to figure out. I never developed a Southern accent or an AAVE accent. People sometimes ask me if I'm from the Midwest or the far North(Minnesota, Wisconsin, Canada).

How I see it, the southern accent is becoming less numerous across major cities in the South, and is most likely found in the periphery of those large southern cities. The smaller cities with the least amount of transplants tend to have the most people with southern accents. I've taken a visit to Charleston. I've ran into so many people from Florida, and most of them don't have a southern accent. I also lived in Savannah for a short while. My teacher was from Florida via Michigan, no southern accent. She had a slight Michigan lilt to her accent for some reason. Most of the kids in my class didn't have a southern accent, even the ones born in Savannah. Only kid in my class did.

Ancestry can play a part too. Alot of southerners are descended from Scotch-Irish ancestry, and certain speech patterns from that time were brought over. The same could be said of places where alot of people of German ancestry have settled, such as Wisconsin. The accent is different and influenced by the people who settled there.
Yeah, there are lots of Germans scattered all around where I live but most of them didn't settle near the village closest to me. The immigration patterns for Missouri were pretty crazy, especially along the Mississippi River. Culture, ancestry and dialect change over a matter of two to three miles in some rural areas, and there will not seem to be a rhyme or reason for this unless you were born and raised here. A few miles is the difference between a village of 100 people with only a Baptist church and a village of 100 people with only a Lutheran church.

I haven't spent hardly any of my time in major cities so I'm not very familiar with what is happening there. I know that cities like Memphis and Little Rock are still very traditionally southern, while cities like Atlanta, the NC Triangle, Huntsville/Decatur AL and Nashville (to a smaller extent) are obviously leading the charge of the new south. Personally, if I choose to leave the state of Missouri after school (Which I'm pretty sure I will) I would much rather move to an area that is a bit more traditional. I don't plan on trying to change anywhere I move to, otherwise I just wouldn't move there.

The AAVE is something that I also don't really understand. It seems like it really doesn't have anything to do with where you live, unlike most other dialects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.