Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Any National League city would only get the Yankees in town once per season (or a second time if it's the World Series). Seriously, "Yankees?!" what decade is this?
I'm more annoyed when foreigners (primarily Brits and Aussies) use Yank to refer to all Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Talk about narrowmindedness...
Twas in response to a obvious Yankee hater.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
What area up north do you live in? I know here in rural central Michigan most people go to church, and church is very important in my town. The difference though between the midwest and the south when it comes to religion is that in the south people may be more aggressive about inviting you to thier church, and more inquisitive about your beliefs. Midwesterners are much more reserved , and a philosophy of "live and let live" seems to be how things are done here. If you are used to an area where you see very little religion, then Im going to guess you must be in the northeast, but I could be wrong. Just something to think about, people in the south also could call northeasterners narrowminded as well, as many of them will only accept a socially liberal, religion free worldview. They are just as focused on promoting that view of how the world should be as those who promote a religious family values kinda world down south. Here in the upper midwest I like to think of us as a middle ground between the extremes of the liberal northeast, and those in the conservative south. Oh and I do agree with you that you can seem to be of good moral character and be a good member of society without being religious. That does not mean I think we do not God, I am a christian and I believe we can only have salvation and heaven through our Lord Jesus Christ. (John 3:16)
Chicago - pretty Midwestern I'd say

Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I'm more annoyed when foreigners (primarily Brits and Aussies) use Yank to refer to all Americans.
People from the Caribbean refer to ALL Americans as "Dem Yankee People"....LOL!!!!!!!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
the ny yankees own the 50 states since George Washington,
so it doesn't matter.

ny clearly has the most money and pay the most taxes.
if it were not for the yankees, we wouldn't have banks in
this country.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,651 times
I don't feel like going through and reading all these off topic posts but I think Roanoke, VA still retains a good amount of southernness (if thats even a word). If is a fairly large MSA however it hasn't attracted a lot of northeastern transplants.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:33 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
Twas in response to a obvious Yankee hater.
And simply confirmed any negative opinion.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
Well - I lived on the south for a bit and I am sorry to offend but I did find it narrow minded. As I am not a "Christian" I felt completely isolated. My children were invited to church so they could be helped. It was not a comfortable place for my family and I. I am back in the north where religious freedoms are embraced (wasn't that what this country was founded on?) and couldn't be happier. The south has lovely parts but I dislike humidity - so give me cute parkas , ugg boots and snow any day. Btw - you can have good moral character and practice no religion
I find it very strange when people complain about this...I have lived in the South for most of my life and haven't set foot in a church for many years. No one ever approaches me about going to church and it is not an issue at all in my life. If they did I would simply say I'm not interested, and that would be the end of it. I don't know why some people feel "pressured" over an invitation. Just say "no thank you" and move on!

I really believe that this is seen as another way to complain about the South. I'll give you that the culture is different, but the South is very accepting to those who accept and respect the way of life.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 09-14-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 09-14-2012, 03:26 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
what is southern to you? a southern accent?
a conservative ideology? a one-track mind?
prejudice? cowboy boots?

give me a break.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I find it very strange when people complain about this...I have lived in the South for most of my life and haven't set foot in a church for many years. No one ever approaches me about going to church and it is not an issue at all in my life. If they did I would simply say I'm not interested, and that would be the end of it. I don't know why some people feel "pressured" over an invitation. Just say "no thank you" and move on!

I really believe that this is seen as another way to complain about the South. I'll give you that the culture is different, but the South is very accepting to those who accept and respect the way of life.

I agree...I lived in the south the first 22 years of my life (25 y/o now) and I never felt pressured into attending a church service. I'm agnostic and I can't recall ever being "bothered" by someone about attending church...I've been asked my former girlfriends and their families but I just respectfully decline and move on. I feel like I've gotten hassled by friends from the northeast more regularly for not liking bagels. I've seen on the threads where people move into the south and act as though a bunch of angry rednecks are out on their yards trying to burn their houses down because they don't want to head over to the baptist service but I think its all bunk.

If someone asks you to go to church just say "no thanks." It's not that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.