Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 PM

54 posts, read 70,077 times

Advertisements

Hello I currently live in California, am 18 years old (male) have interests in speaking, psychology, firearms, engineering and outdoorsman type of things. I do not like the way CA has its laws and would like to move to another state that has jobs relating to my interests. At the moment its primarily engineering of some type. Here is a list of what I would like in moving to another state.

I would like a state that is safe, has good schools, nice people, preferable free from hurricanes and such, gun friendly, preferably free form anti-____ (jewish, black, mexican etc) groups (KKK or groups of people) and has jobs that suit my interests. I plan on having a family later and if CA's laws in general were a bit more logical I might stay, but I dont think CA suits my needs.

So what states would fall under what I look for? So far its Alaska and Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,037,408 times
Colorado might fit the bill, it's less expensive than Alaska or Washington. There is no coastline however, not sure if that's at all relevant though.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 PM

Not really, I like the cold though, what is Colorado like?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,037,408 times
This is just coming from someone who visits roughly once a year, so if you want to know any more I suggest you ask someone who actually lives there.

Colorado has lax gun laws, the state is known for being conservative, but Denver and Boulder are the main exceptions. It's more of a libertarian conservative than religious conservative however depending on where you go. Colorado Springs tends to be as right as it gets, but there are pockets of liberal there plus Manitou is right next door, which is a tourist-y hippie town full of old Victorians. The weather gives you every season and every type of weather imaginable. A lot of people make out Colorado to be as cold as Siberia or something, but really it's even as cold as say Minnesota. It's sunny most of the year, but not in the same way Southern California is, as in it can change from sunny to thunderstorm within 5-10 minutes, especially in the summer. I'm sure you won't have too much trouble finding jobs in Colorado with your interests, and there are plenty of great places to raise families there.
Hope this helps.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,941,918 times
Believe it or not, you can try NY

Old 09-13-2012, 12:13 AM

932 posts, read 1,933,008 times
PA, Colorado, Virginia, N and S Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia and northern Florida are great options.

I'm a total homer, so for me it's PA all the way. I am a gun owner, I carry every day, OC is legal here, and in certain areas, it's very possible to have your cake and eat it too. Where I live, the cost of living is pretty low, I found a 2 story house on an acre in a private setting, just minutes from downtown Reading. I'm convenient to Philly, yet I live in a quiet area, there are fun clubs in just about every town here, I'm close to Rousch Creek, if you're into off roading, and camping can be done as clos as 10 minutes away. The Appalachian trail runs through here, and people are pretty tollerant of just about any lifestyle you could have as long as you mind your business. Winters are cold and snowy, summers are hot and humid, spring and autumn are mild and pleasant.

The problem with NY compared to PA is their gun laws can vary from county to county. This can lead to unintentional tun-ins with the law. Coming from CA, you'd probably find their laws friendly by comparison, however.

If you're interested in learning more about our gun laws, send me a PM. Oh and we don't have the nanny state "assault weapons" restrictions like Jersey and Cali either.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:25 AM

9,436 posts, read 10,709,046 times
Michigan is a pro hunting, pro gun outdoorsey type state. Hunting, fishing and camping are huge here, and the whole northern half of the state is forest land. Southern Michigan is mostly agricultural other than the Detroit area. If you have an engineering background you could easily work in the auto industry, but that is concentrated in the metro Detroit area which is the furthest from the woods and the hunting. An hour drive out of metro Detroit does put you back in the woods though, and the rest of Michigan is a hunters paradise. The fishing is amoung the best in the US as well. Michigan also does not have a big problem with racial groups these days, most of that is in the past. We still have some of the militia movement here, but they are more focused on big goverment and gun rights. Michigan is a strange mix of social conservatives and pro union democrats. This is one of the toughest states to figure out politically.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 AM

Sounds like Michigan is a pretty fun place haha, so many places so little time haha.

I have a friend who lives in PA, real player I must say, but he says that PA is mostly Amish. Not too interested in the area though although it seems like a fun place. Florida seems to have weather issues though.

How is the weather in Tennessee, Georgia and Carolina? From what I know they are pretty nice places to live. I plan on trying some hunting eventually too.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:29 AM

92,053 posts, read 122,237,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Believe it or not, you can try NY
I agree. Upstate NY could provide that mix. A place like Trumansburg outside of Ithaca comes to mind. Trumansburg Area Chamber of Commerce

GrassRoots Festival of Music and Dance:

The Rongovian Embassy | A place for family & friends with fine food & great music.

http://www.shootata.com/content/ata_...?clubid=370172

There are other places that could fit as well.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,098,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theme57 View Post
I have a friend who lives in PA, real player I must say, but he says that PA is mostly Amish. Not too interested in the area though although it seems like a fun place. Florida seems to have weather issues though.
Whoever told you that doesn't know a thing about PA. From a lifelong PA resident who has never seen an Amish person in Allegheny County besides Children's Hospital where they come for treatments from all across PA, NY and OH. The Amish only have a presence in Lancaster Count and parts of NW PA. PA is pretty gun friendly with the Castle Doctrine, easy carry on laws, and hunting is so popular nearly all rural and suburban school districts give off for the first day of hunting season. BTW I'm 21 if that would make a difference in my thoughts of PA so you can PM for more of my thoughts on it.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 09-13-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.