Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 11,766 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am currently a nursing student in northern Maine and am looking forward to moving out of state when I graduate in two years. My boyfriend and I (we're in our late 20's) have gotten tired of the cold weather in Maine, so I was looking for ideas or suggestions on finding a new place to live!

We both like smaller town, not so crowded, but within about an hour of a city. I would say our biggest interest is food and would like to live in an area that offered great food, especially something were not used to. I also like the outdoors, would like to live near farms and be able to garden.

I am definitely interested in a place with affordable housing and low cost of living. I would like to buy a older home to fix up. As a nurse, nearby hospitals would be important too. My boyfriend works as a carpenter or doing farm work or other manual labor.

I grew up in NJ and have lived in New England since graduating high school but am definitely looking for some place different and am prepared to deal with some culture shock. Right now I am considering TN and NM, but was looking for more ideas. I am planning a family road trip to the Grand Canyon and wanted to stop and stay at as many places along the way. For anyone who has planned a big more, what did you do to discover places and narrow down the search? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 02:50 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,669,312 times
Lots of openings in Texas for RN's I hear. New grads who can't find jobs find them in Texas. I think TN and NM would have ample openings, too, in general. Maybe you can cross out states that are definitely "out," and leave ones on that you are interested in, then narrow it down further after you find out how employable new grads are. It's not the same world as when nurses graduated years ago. Some states/cities are saturated w/ nurses looking for jobs. You don't wanna move to one of those places.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:25 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,008,363 times
Check out towns like Saxapahaw, Mebane and Haw River which are to the west/northwest of to the cities of Durham and Chapel Hill in North Carolina. They're surprisingly progressive in terms of residents, quite affordable with a good inventory of old fixers to choose from, in a nice moderate four season climate with a lot of growing days (as well as having many farms nearby), a fantastic food scene in/around the area with excellent restaurants, farmers markets, coops and groceries plus fairly easy access to UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill or Durham's Duke University Medical Center, VA Hospital and Durham County Regional Medical Center, even a smaller hospital nearby too (Alamance Medical Center in Burlington).

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/tr...es-a-draw.html
The Tastiest Town in the South | Durham, NC

Old 12-06-2014, 07:53 PM

9 posts, read 11,766 times
ok thank you! I will check out that area, and I actually have a cousin who works at Duke medical center. she commutes from raleigh(which I do not like). but it sounds like the area you mention has everything I am looking for.

hm...I am prejudiced against Texas, but I bet there are parts of it I would like. The only place I have been is amarillo, which was awful. I will keep it in mind if I have trouble finding work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.