Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:31 AM

139 posts, read 499,974 times

Advertisements

I'd like to take my sister on a road trip down south during Xmas break, as she has never been south of Ohio (from Michigan). So I'm trying to figure out a destination. Some things to know:

-Were both early 20s, so looking for more of a social, chill, warm hangout spot (and nightlife options) than tourist sites such as museums and landmarks (although a place with some Southern "personality" too would be excellent)
-Michigan is a long ways North, so the shorter the drive the better...but I understand to get to warmth there will be no such thing as a "short" drive.
-an average daily high in the mid 60s at least...
-not panama city beach, already been there a couple times, and i would at least like to enjoy somewhere new.

Im assuming this basically only leaves me with Florida, but figured it would worth asking to see if anybody had a hidden gem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 04:23 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
Weather is usually not too much of a factor in December. It can be cold, but it rarely snows that early, even in southern Michigan. But keep in mind that those are the shortest days of the year, and you won't have many daytime driving hours. Plan to drive in the dark a lot.

From Michigan, head in the general direction of Memphis. That will keep you out of the mountains, which are subject to a lot of foggy driving and possibly freezing precipitation.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:43 PM

431 posts, read 926,455 times
I'd say Charleston SC fits what you're looking for very well.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,649,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Side_TX View Post
I'd say Charleston SC fits what you're looking for very well.
Savannah is a little bit better though I'd just go all out and hit New Orleans. If they really wanted to drive, Miami or key West even.

Here are some driving times (using Detroit as a good base):

Detroit to Charleston (14 hours, 13 mins)
Detroit to Savannah (14 hours, 54 mins)
Detroit to New Orleans (17 hours, 17 mins)
Detroit to Miami (22 hours, 34 mins)
Detroit to Key West (26 hours)

My recommendation is Key West (with stops in Savannah, Jax, Miami). The most beautiful drive, only destination you will want to use the beach, and you will pass through some amazing nightlife spots. Of course, this is by far the longest road trip. You can shorten it by ending up in Miami, you will still hit the beach but you will end up missing out on one of the most beautiful drives in the USA down the keys.

The other option is New Orleans, you can lengthen your trip a bit and see Memphis which is also fun.

If you want to keep it short, I suggest Savannah over Charleston (for the nightlife) but I recommend you see both (Charleston on the way back).

Old 09-20-2012, 04:58 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,280,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
I'd like to take my sister on a road trip down south during Xmas break, as she has never been south of Ohio (from Michigan). So I'm trying to figure out a destination. Some things to know:

-Were both early 20s, so looking for more of a social, chill, warm hangout spot (and nightlife options) than tourist sites such as museums and landmarks (although a place with some Southern "personality" too would be excellent)
-Michigan is a long ways North, so the shorter the drive the better...but I understand to get to warmth there will be no such thing as a "short" drive.
-an average daily high in the mid 60s at least...
-not panama city beach, already been there a couple times, and i would at least like to enjoy somewhere new.

Im assuming this basically only leaves me with Florida, but figured it would worth asking to see if anybody had a hidden gem.
Much of the Gulf Coast and the Southern Atlantic has average highs of around 55-65, but cold snaps can still pop up, seemingly out of nowhere. It seems that South Florida is really the only part of the region that mostly escapes this, so you'll have to accept the fact any place north of there does have a decent chance of seeing chilly weather.

With more than a 15-hour drive, New Orleans is quite a trek, but it's certainly worth it, in my opinion.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:35 PM

431 posts, read 926,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Savannah is a little bit better though I'd just go all out and hit New Orleans. If they really wanted to drive, Miami or key West even.

Here are some driving times (using Detroit as a good base):

Detroit to Charleston (14 hours, 13 mins)
Detroit to Savannah (14 hours, 54 mins)
Detroit to New Orleans (17 hours, 17 mins)
Detroit to Miami (22 hours, 34 mins)
Detroit to Key West (26 hours)

My recommendation is Key West (with stops in Savannah, Jax, Miami). The most beautiful drive, only destination you will want to use the beach, and you will pass through some amazing nightlife spots. Of course, this is by far the longest road trip. You can shorten it by ending up in Miami, you will still hit the beach but you will end up missing out on one of the most beautiful drives in the USA down the keys.

The other option is New Orleans, you can lengthen your trip a bit and see Memphis which is also fun.

If you want to keep it short, I suggest Savannah over Charleston (for the nightlife) but I recommend you see both (Charleston on the way back).
How is Savannah better than Charleston? Charlestons downtown blows away Savannahs. Savannah and Charleston are both very similar, Charleston is just larger and packs more of a punch. Granted everyone has different taste. As to nightlife being stationed in Charleston and in my 20's and going to Savannah rather often, the social scene is much better in Charleston. Only exception is St Pattys. A lot more young people in downtown Charleston vs Savannah due to the colleges. Both have personality though as the OP desired.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:00 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,790,672 times
Atlanta or Miami.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,280,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Atlanta or Miami.
Did you even read the OP? He states that he's looking for a place with noticeable southern charm/personality, which the big cities don't offer as much of. He also said he's looking for a place with an average high in the 60s, which pretty much eliminates Atlanta altogether.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:36 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,649,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Side_TX View Post
How is Savannah better than Charleston? Charlestons downtown blows away Savannahs. Savannah and Charleston are both very similar, Charleston is just larger and packs more of a punch. Granted everyone has different taste. As to nightlife being stationed in Charleston and in my 20's and going to Savannah rather often, the social scene is much better in Charleston. Only exception is St Pattys. A lot more young people in downtown Charleston vs Savannah due to the colleges. Both have personality though as the OP desired.
Savannah has rowdier nightlife. Late call 330 (as opposed to 2). You can also carry your alcohol out in to-go cups which you can't in Charleston. I agree that Charleston is bigger, her downtown is more flushed out but essentially I always saw Charleston as a destinations for families and older tourists while Savannah as a place to party. Savannah is also right next to a US Army base which drives much of her nightlife (great if you're a single girl looking to score). I know that Charleston has a Navy Nuke school nearby, but the military presence just isn't as strong as Savannah. Both have some colleges in the area, Charleston probably has more.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,790,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Did you even read the OP? He states that he's looking for a place with noticeable southern charm/personality, which the big cities don't offer as much of. He also said he's looking for a place with an average high in the 60s, which pretty much eliminates Atlanta altogether.
Wait, so he wants nightlife options but a place with Southern charm? Is that even possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.