Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:59 PM

115 posts, read 228,747 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Sonoma County, which I totally love and really don't want to leave, but my husband and I may be forced to due to his work.

We are looking into other options out of state, but are really hoping to find somewhere that approximates where we are now in terms of culture, natural beauty, and overall philosophy. As much as we love California, it has become such a difficult place to raise a family due to the outrageous cost of living. It would be nice to go somewhere where it's possible to actually get ahead, not just stay afloat, even with a good-paying job.

Our ideal place would be a small-to-midsize city, although the outskirts of larger cities are a possibility. It would need to have plenty of outdoor amenities, e.g. regional/state/national parks for hiking, biking, horseback riding, and preferably lakes/rivers. We are also looking for a location where local food is considered important, with plenty of farmer's markets or CSA options, as well as a focus on supporting a local economy. Open-mindedness and tolerance of non-mainstream beliefs/ideas is important too. There should also be a decent amount of alternative/holistic medical practitioners, such as acupuncturists, chiropractors, and naturopaths, and a good amount of yoga studios. In terms of education, we are interested in sending our young son to a Waldorf school or similar charter school. We are also looking for a place where we can raise our own food and have chickens and goats. Last but not least, we would love a place with a vibrant arts community as well, with galleries, museums, and musical cultural events.

My husband's job requires him to work in a hospital or medical office, so a place with plenty of medical work options is necessary.

As for weather, we would like to avoid climate extremes as we were both raised in California. However, a place with moderate weather/four seasons, including some snow, is fine.

We would love to hear about any wonderful options out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 02:52 PM

27,214 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Check out Carrboro, North Carolina

Along with neighboring Chapel Hill, it offers everything you're looking for without the outrageous cost of living you're accustomed to in California. It's minutes from the University of North Carolina Hospitals and less than 30 minutes from world famous Duke University Hospital (as well as many other hospitals/medical facilities in the area).

Here's some links which outline nicely what Carrboro has to offer:

Carrboro, North Carolina Overview
Welcome to Carrboro - Chapel Hill - Orange County Visitor's Bureau
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
About Carrboro & Southern Village Farmers' Markets
Weaver Street Market - Home
Matt Barrett's Favorite Chapel Hill-Carrboro Restaurants
Chapel Hill and Orange County Visitors Bureau

Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
You would be very happy in or near Portland, Oregon.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 PM

93,307 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Except for maybe winter, the Finger Lakes region and probably the Ithaca area of NY, in particular may work. It has the local food culture, wineries, an average overall cost of living, has a liberal vibe, has plenty of cultural events, plenty of outdoor amenities and more.

Ithaca Waldorf School |

Visit Ithaca

Official Website of Ithaca, NY

Cayuga Medical Center at Ithaca

Mobile Site Preview
Finger Lakes Tourism
Official Travel and Tourism Information for Finger Lakes Wine Country
Welcome to the Finger Lakes | Finger Lakes Information Network

New York State Hospital Profile

Old 09-21-2012, 05:54 PM

115 posts, read 228,747 times
Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely check these places out. Actually I have a friend that lives near Ithaca (Interlaken) about 6 months out of the year....she did mention the area was fairly cool and one of the few places on the East Coast she'd been to where she and her husband didn't get strange looks (they're total hippie/Renaissance Festival types). Carrboro/Chapel Hill area sounds interesting. Portland is a place we're actively considering but I'm hesitant about the gray/rainy weather thing. I grew up in LA so even northern California is quite rainy for me!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM

39 posts, read 86,345 times
Then you won't like the Portland climate. It's very progressive, Farmers' Markets, organics, great people, but you would have to get away for a month or so in the winter. (condo in Mexico? or VRBO in California?)

Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Mt Shasta CA - small city with a low cost of living compared to where you are. Small hospital - Mercy Medical Center. Skiing, hiking, and fishing mecca.
Quote:
Our ideal place would be a small-to-midsize city, although the outskirts of larger cities are a possibility. It would need to have plenty of outdoor amenities, e.g. regional/state/national parks for hiking, biking, horseback riding, and preferably lakes/rivers. We are also looking for a location where local food is considered important, with plenty of farmer's markets or CSA options, as well as a focus on supporting a local economy. Open-mindedness and tolerance of non-mainstream beliefs/ideas is important too. There should also be a decent amount of alternative/holistic medical practitioners, such as acupuncturists, chiropractors, and naturopaths, and a good amount of yoga studios. In terms of education, we are interested in sending our young son to a Waldorf school or similar charter school. We are also looking for a place where we can raise our own food and have chickens and goats.
Yes to all of these except maybe the Waldorf school (not sure).

Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,865 times
Medford-Ashland, OR might work if you aren't a big fan of the Portland climate.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
IF you can land a job there, Asheville NC is hippy dippy and new agey.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 PM

93,307 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLA74 View Post
Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely check these places out. Actually I have a friend that lives near Ithaca (Interlaken) about 6 months out of the year....she did mention the area was fairly cool and one of the few places on the East Coast she'd been to where she and her husband didn't get strange looks (they're total hippie/Renaissance Festival types). Carrboro/Chapel Hill area sounds interesting. Portland is a place we're actively considering but I'm hesitant about the gray/rainy weather thing. I grew up in LA so even northern California is quite rainy for me!
If you friend and her husband are inti Renaissance festivals, they should check this out if they haven't already: Sterling_Renaissance_Festival_Home

Another Upstate NY community with a strong hippie vibe is New Paltz. Community of New Paltz, NY

Welcome to New Paltz, NY - The Heart of Ulster County

new paltz ny - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.