Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:18 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,753,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroscience View Post
I also like the idea of living in Seattle, but don't know about the opportunities there. Any input on those two areas?
Seattle is one of the larger biotech hubs. It is home to Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, The University of Washington, and many biotech companies. It seems like the area is in need of top notch talent.

Before you blindly move somewhere, I'd use the internet to find job postings or a head hunter. It is an industry starving for talent so you may be able to find work before you even move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 10:32 AM

10 posts, read 19,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Before you blindly move somewhere, I'd use the internet to find job postings or a head hunter. It is an industry starving for talent so you may be able to find work before you even move.
I'll definitely try that, but my experience with the American job market so far (and what friends told me) is that if I don't live there already it'll be very hard to find a company to hire me. Or to even invite me to an interview.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:08 AM

92,027 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Maybe to get you going before you move on: Norwich Clinical Services and Pharmaceutical Contract Manufacturing

Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 PM

88 posts, read 205,024 times
I'm interested to know where you decided to settle.

Climate and culture wise, Boston and San Diego are very different! I studied science, and am near Boston and trying to move to the west coast to get out of it.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM

36,916 posts, read 38,826,491 times
In your position, I'd look for job opportunities and then see if where they're located seem to be good fits. A lot of job search options now when you look online tell you the job descriptions and their locations are secondary. It makes a lot more sense that way in the sense of seeing what there is available to you and narrowing down on the cities where the options are. Do that and get a sense of the differences in salary, position, and where in the city or metro the job is located and asking afterwards probably does you a lot more good. You're probably still pretty young, so even jobs located in some cities that are a bit on the borderline could be advantageous in making it easier to get a job in a city you love once you've fixed on that (which it doesn't seem you have yet).

Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 PM

64 posts, read 69,390 times
Although it may not be the "best", I'd throw New Haven into the mix. Yale is doing everything they can to build the biotech presence in that city, and so far it's working. Lots of startups and the industry is certainly growing there.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,208,197 times
I too know for certain that many of the Pharmaceuticals in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill-North Carolina areas are hiring big time, the local colleges and adjoining hospitals are heavy weights in reseach also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.