Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:04 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Do you regret moving to where you currently are living?
Absolutely not. My wife and I were perfectly happy in the Twin Cities, and that is where our family is, but employment circumstances made Atlanta far more preferable (having a job is better than not having one!). We love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 08:32 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinons1 View Post
I regret moving to Portland, OR from Philadelphia, PA. I moved for a job, more money. I was open when I first got here but after a month or two realized I made a hugh mistake. It's not Portland I dislike it's most of the people. There is almost no diversity. They want you to submit to their ideas or not say anything and if you do they get all salty. They are the most closed minded people I have every met. I have actually lived with my apartment packed for two years but finally I am getting out of this place in two weeks. I can't believe a town and I mean town because Portland is no city center no matter how hard they try, that claims to be so accepting and open minded have gotten away with the lie for so long. These people seem to dislike anyone who isn't "born and raised" in Oregon as if that's some claim to fame. However in being honest it's a beautiful place to visit for two weeks in the summer, just don't let them suck you into moving there.
I understand what you mean, I don't really dislike the place, but maybe its because we are from the Northeast and the place just does not fit us. I am at the two year mark in Portland myself and I have tried to understand the mindset and I just don't get it either. I regret moving here somewhat but I am glad I have gotten comfortable with the plan and the decision to move back to the east coast also. I actually liked Portland but I never really felt part of the population here, and the fact there was really little diversity and not much of a economy here told me it was not for me.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:55 PM

387 posts, read 1,331,325 times
We regret our move to NH. Luckily for us we have a 2nd home near Bayfield WI that will be our permanent home. We aren't from WI but the people there have become like family to us since we built our home.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Do you regret moving to where you currently are living? Have you ever felt you made a bad relocation decision in the past? If so, explain your situation-- and how are you coping with the situation-- what are you doing about it?
Being that I just don't feel like getting into too many details here,I'll suffice to say yes I beyond regret moving to Philadelphia,never even wanted to come near it,but it's funny what love will make you do
As far as what I'm doing to cope,I come here to vent of course

Old 10-15-2007, 06:49 AM

5 posts, read 19,355 times
I moved from WA State to the upper northern part of VA. I do regret living and moving here. What I am doing about it is looking for another state to move my mobile home to that is more modern and relaxed.
In my opinion, lots of, but not all, people are distant friendly here to outsiders and they seem to mostly live in their own little worlds not caring about others. What really gets me is say what sounds good and forget it. Women belong in the home taking care of a man, most feel. Backwards to say the least. There are lots of made up stories. And most do not take responsibility for their actions in many ways and push the blame on someone else, setting them up to take the fall if necessary. There isn't any consumer protection except for a lemon law. Wages are low and the cost of living is very high. There are many things I could mention but enough said. All I know is that it was a big mistake moving here and I am moving out as soon as possible. The culture, backward way of thinking and uptight lifestyles are just too much for me. Give me a modern more relaxed way of living, please.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakitten1 View Post
I moved from WA State to the upper northern part of VA. I do regret living and moving here. What I am doing about it is looking for another state to move my mobile home to that is more modern and relaxed.
In my opinion, lots of, but not all, people are distant friendly here to outsiders and they seem to mostly live in their own little worlds not caring about others. What really gets me is say what sounds good and forget it. Women belong in the home taking care of a man, most feel. Backwards to say the least. There are lots of made up stories. And most do not take responsibility for their actions in many ways and push the blame on someone else, setting them up to take the fall if necessary. There isn't any consumer protection except for a lemon law. Wages are low and the cost of living is very high. There are many things I could mention but enough said. All I know is that it was a big mistake moving here and I am moving out as soon as possible. The culture, backward way of thinking and uptight lifestyles are just too much for me. Give me a modern more relaxed way of living, please.
What part of northern Virginia? Would it be close to DC? Most places near the eastern cities can be like that. Also it just may be the difference between east and west coast life. I love the south but I was also considering the pacific northwest as I haven't heard as many negative things about it.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:47 PM

341 posts, read 1,673,192 times
Quote:
Ok-- I'll answer my own question first. I don't really "regret" moving here to Tempe, AZ (Phoenix metro area) in the first place, but I am definitely ready to leave. I came here from Denver to attend college on great scholarship deal, and I wanted to stay in the western US. I'm definitely not complaining about getting a degree for free, but beyond that, I've found that Phoenix has very little to offer as a city, other than the usual "lots of sunshine" appeal and other "climate" factors. In terms of having things to do, interesting places to explore, having a fun downtown, places you can walk around without driving everywhere, and nature within the city, this place is actually a step backwards for me. Also, the climate here is EXTREME. Extreme heat, extreme sun, extreme dry, extremely dusty and polluted. It can have its nice moments, but overall, I think the climate of Phoenix, when you look at what you have to put up with throughout the whole year, just plain sucks. So, nothing against Phoenix, no regrets really, but I'm ready to get out of here.
This is so well said - this is the true Phoenix -

Old 10-15-2007, 03:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
Wow, I cannot believe some of the things I am reading about Portland. It is a lovely city with much going for it. I've never met a person from Portland that I didn't like... and I've met a lot of people from Portland. Although I have no intention to leave Juneau, if I ever had to move to a large city I'd move to Portland. Seattle is just getting too big, and Portland actually has better mass transit.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:25 PM

11 posts, read 72,073 times
Default cultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I understand what you mean, I don't really dislike the place, but maybe its because we are from the Northeast and the place just does not fit us. I am at the two year mark in Portland myself and I have tried to understand the mindset and I just don't get it either. I regret moving here somewhat but I am glad I have gotten comfortable with the plan and the decision to move back to the east coast also. I actually liked Portland but I never really felt part of the population here, and the fact there was really little diversity and not much of a economy here told me it was not for me.
I do think different parts of the country have different mind-sets and if you are really used to one part of the country, any other part could be difficult or you may feel you don't "fit in". I can't see the close-mindedness of my Portland friends (though maybe that is b/c we have similar political bents), but I do feel that people from the urban N.W. (Seattle, Portland, Olympia, etc.) seem very "down to earth" to me. I went to a college with people from all over the country and I could instantly tell who was from the urban Pacific Northwest vs. NY, mid-west, south, D.C., etc. But reading these negative posts about people from other parts of the country not liking Portland, it makes me wonder if what one person thinks is "down to earth" may make another person think "not cosmopolitan enough" or something else that could be negative. All I know is, when I was in Germany with some folks from North Carolina, it really blew my mind how different my culture was from the North Carolinans (much more different than my culture was different from the Germans!). The things that came out of their mouths blew me away. Our own U.S. is sooo divided and varied that you could easily feel more at home in a different country than you would in a different part of our country.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Wow, I cannot believe some of the things I am reading about Portland. It is a lovely city with much going for it. I've never met a person from Portland that I didn't like... and I've met a lot of people from Portland. Although I have no intention to leave Juneau, if I ever had to move to a large city I'd move to Portland. Seattle is just getting too big, and Portland actually has better mass transit.
There is alot of comments about Portland on here, if you notice one thing most of the comments have in common seem to be the lack of diversity in Portland, and Oregon even more so. Its not so much a dislike for the place. As far as the transit in Portland, yeah there is quite abit, but if your use to systems in other areas of the country, this one can take some getting use to. There is little security, and that really shows up on the east side, the other problem is you may find yourself paying for the fare, while many ride free and brag about it. The system is rather expenisve $2.05 for a ride now. and thats even on the bus as well as the trains. Like I said its not always a dislike for Portland in itself that causes the dislike, its the lack of diversity within the population and some of the mindset that goes with that. All of that most likely will cause some people to regret moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.