Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:52 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,565 times

Advertisements

Columbus, Ohio and no regrets whatsoever

+ established LGBT community, growing African (mainly Ethiopian and Somali) population
+ the largest urban campus in the United States (around 65k including grad students I believe)
+ a plethora of bars and restaurants that are reasonably priced
+ Jenni's Splendid ice cream, consistently rated as one of the best ice cream parlors in America
+ Historic and interesting neighborhoods surrounding downtown (Short north, German village, Italian Village, Arena district etc.)
+ The people in general are pretty polite and friendly compared to where I came from

-far from my family and friends on the east coast
- lacks a significant body of water, the Scioto river isn't anything special
- the city could use a much denser core and infill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 PM

462 posts, read 1,008,781 times
Default Do you regret moving to your current city?

Yes, my husband and I are from Texas but we traveled some with his military career. We lived in Clovis NM for 7 years before deciding to retire and moving to outskirts of Albuquerque in the mountains. We've been here now 1 1/2 years. The people here are hard to get to know; I should say they are nigh impossible to get to know. The whole East Coast lives in Albuquerque and more are cominjg. I so miss the southern people of Clovis and Texas in general. We are buyinjg our home and I have no idea if we'll be able to sell it. People here are just not open and friendly and I've had the blues for at least nine months. I keep trying to get to know people. The NE coast folks are very different from what I am used to and I don't know how to communicate with them. I'm not happy.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Absolutely not. I retired in Victoria, Texas, 6 years ago, and I have found that for me and my lifestyle, it has no shortcomings at all. I think other people who live here feel pretty much the same way about it -- both natives and transplants.

Of course, not everyone is in my lifestyle, so the young and trendy set tend to rush off to a place with brighter lights, but no place can be everything to all people.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
I don't regret moving to Colorado, but I'm ready to go back to the east coast. For an east coast girl, it's too brown, too far from the ocean, and too isolated. Yes, I knew that going into my move here, but at the time I really wanted to try something different. I'm glad I did it though. I really didn't want to be someone who lived in the same place their entire life.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,381 times
[quote=BacktoNE;1675239]We regret moving to Appleton every hour of every day. Our plan is to leave, hopefully sometime next year. We will be returning to Maine.[/q

How long did you last? It is another country to me.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:41 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,227 times
Interesting thread. I posted a similar question and was inundated with attacks and/or Dr. Phil-wannabes.

Four years ago, I moved to Greenville, SC from Akron for a job. While the weather was great, the social climate was terrible. They were still fighting the civil war down there and it is ultra-conservative. Not a good fit for me.

Fifteen years ago, after the death of my parents, I had tried a move to Tucson. I didn't stay long, as I was still in the midst of grieving. However, I really liked the city, the social climate, and the weather. Based on that, I decided last month to give it another try. Now I am regretting it. At 56, I guess I can't adjust well to living somewhere other than what I've known most my life, and I feel really out of place. Tucson is a liberal city, even though AZ is a red state, so it isn't that. I'm trying the volunteering thing, meet-ups, internet dating and all, but I still feel much like a fish out of water. Though I don't need to, I've also tried job hunting. But the market here is pretty poor for my field.

Don't know how long I'm going to stay, but it was interesting reading this thread and seeing there are others who have regretted their moves (even if for a wide variety of reasons).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.