Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:05 PM

139 posts, read 530,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinons1 View Post
Well I guess you just made my point. It seems interesting that you can be so judging "lowlife radicals" oh that's right that's what people in portland do judge, the only right way is their way. What ever happen to diversity.
Goodness! I was describing a certain kind of radical, which is found in fairly large numbers in Portland, but not as much in other places. You are way too sensitive for Portland. When I lived there as a adult, and, for a while, earned a living doing surveys door to door, I really had to develop a tough skin.
However, I'm posting again to thank you. Your assessment of Portland was correct, and reminds me of all the reasons I left, when I'm feeling nostalgic.
One other fact about Portland: it is basically a "middle-management" town. There is a mental ceiling. When people reach it, they need to go to Seattle or California, or maybe Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 08:38 PM

845 posts, read 2,743,420 times
I also regret moving to Portland. I agree that the people that I have met here are closed minded. I noticed that within the first week of moving here. And they do have a superiority complex about being from or living in Portland. If you live two feet outside of the city limits, the people here pretty much treat you like scum. I was just shocked at the rude comments my coworkers made when I first moved here because of where I lived in town. Who in the world acts like that to people they just met?

There are also several other reasons i want to move, and weather and lack of diversity are two main reasons.

Anyways, I will be moving out of here next summer. Not completely sure where I will be going, but somewhere warmer and sunnier. But it is a beautiful place to visit.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:49 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,114 times
I am so flipping happy with my move from Yuma, Ariz., to Fargo, N.D. The lack of four seasons screwed with my head and kind of got me comfortable to the town's malaise until I went back to Lawrence and Iowa City to visit some friends and realized how bangin' it is to live in a college town.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:58 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
I am so flipping happy with my move from Yuma, Ariz., to Fargo, N.D. The lack of four seasons screwed with my head and kind of got me comfortable to the town's malaise until I went back to Lawrence and Iowa City to visit some friends and realized how bangin' it is to live in a college town.
Wow! Talk about going from one extreme to another!

Old 10-08-2007, 02:36 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Has anybody ever relocated strictly for a job opportunity... only to find out you regretted moving to the new city?

Old 10-08-2007, 03:31 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
I also regret moving to Portland. I agree that the people that I have met here are closed minded. I noticed that within the first week of moving here. And they do have a superiority complex about being from or living in Portland. If you live two feet outside of the city limits, the people here pretty much treat you like scum. I was just shocked at the rude comments my coworkers made when I first moved here because of where I lived in town. Who in the world acts like that to people they just met?
That's they way San Francisco and Berkeley people act around here. Anyone else is suburban ghetto trash with a farm.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:24 PM

37 posts, read 139,938 times
Well I'm regretting moving (back) to berkeley because housing is so insanely expensive, public schools are not all I had hoped them to be, and it's harder to find work than I'd imagined.

But we also regretted moving to western MA (lack of diversity, lack of community, weather) and to England (hard to find work) so, we're running out of options. Glad to read about Portland, OR, here, that helps me rule that one out. Seattle is our last bet.

Watch someone tell me they regret moving there now...

Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 PM

83 posts, read 279,945 times
Default I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Has anybody ever relocated strictly for a job opportunity... only to find out you regretted moving to the new city?

Been with same company 14 years and have been waiting for a promotion for 7 years. They offered me a promotion in small town Safford Arizona. I took the job thinking that I would never be offered a promotion again. Now I am stuck here for 5 years until I can transfer again. I miss Tucson.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,114 times
A job was the reason I made the trek to Arizona ... that I thought living in the Southwest would be cool ... I guess I ended up in the wrong town.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:23 PM

139 posts, read 530,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Not me, but look up a post from a lady in Clovis, NM. Very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.