Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I noticed LA/SF (especially LA) doesn't get mad when someone expresses interests in leaving. More cities should take on that attitude, yet, they are unable to.
I totally agree here. LA is one of the most accepting cities on so many levels. Never, ever as a kid did I see "oh, this person is from this place, eew." We watched the onslaught of Iranians and just laughed at their moves on blondes and their purchases of then-cool Trans Ams. As for leaving, I think people in LA understand. They understand that if someone transplanted in alone and their family is in the Midwest or the East Coast, it may not gel, but mostly they understand that many can't make it pencil. Few people leave LA expressing a sense of disgust, and know they are leaving behind some incomparable attributes (weather, beaches, and an incredible array of places within 2 hours by car).

I would agree with second-tier cities in both the Midwest and the Intermountain West, all of which seem to be somewhat defensive of how they resonate with people. That could go from Boise and Reno at the western edge, all the way to the Columbus/Louisville/Nashville line at the eastern edge.

Some cities, like SEA and PDX, gladly show people the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Why do you always start these threads that are basically all the exact same theme (just a different spin) to slight, Des Moines, Indianapolis and other emerging areas in the Midwest for a various of issues you see with them? Always very far fetched.
Mental Masturbation.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Tell someone in Las Vegas, sometime, that you're planning on relocating elsewhere, like I am, to a real, true city, for a change, and?

"This is the most exciting city in the country to live in, why-oh-why would you want to leave?"

Well, it's like this: I believe sleeping 12 hours a day is far more exciting, along with a 2-3 hour nap during the daytime!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:21 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,431 times
People in Chicago were like "WHY on earth would you move to Houston?!" when I told them I was leaving. It was more about the place I was going to rather than the fact that I was leaving at all. There were some people who commented that the weather would be nice in Houston, though. Of course my move was more economic than anything else, and people weren't aware of that when they first asked.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Why do you always start these threads that are basically all the exact same theme (just a different spin) to slight, Des Moines, Indianapolis and other emerging areas in the Midwest for a various of issues you see with them? Always very far fetched.

I grew up in Iowa and talk to people all the time who live in Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. To say that people who live in Des Moines will freak out on you if you say you want to live somewhere else is completely false. Every time I go to Des Moines the residents certainly like their city, BUT, they're in the heart of the Midwest. The midwest more than any region, by far, is very understanding and use to the notion that they're probably not the top dog region of the United States. They're very use to the fact they're living there because they want to, and that there are tons of areas in the USA that are more desirable as far as economy, weather, scenery, etc. etc. People in Des Moines might take offense if you start trash talking their city, but they'll hardly come down on you for wanting to move elsewhere in the country. It's almost always met with "awesome, now I have somewhere to stay when I go on vacation!".

Same with Chicago. There might be some weird looks and questions if you're moving to a different small city in the Midwest, but it's totally acceptable and normally responded with "oh wow, that's really cool" if you say you're moving to a major metro along the coasts. Chicago is a city that pull in thousands of 18-25 year olds from around the Midwest, and then spits them out to the suburbs and the coasts as they reach 30+. I'd say it's probably a city with huge pride, but is completely undestanding if anyone wants to leave or dip their toes elsewhere in this big world of ours.
I agree with you. It seems like most people in the Midwest are well aware of the fact that they are considered the "fly-over" states. When a native Midwesterners expresses the desire to leave, or their dislike for the Midwest, most will agree or tolerate the criticisms on some level. However, if a transplant comes in and starts complaining, it seems to strike a nerve with the natives--like another out-of-towner putting the Midwest in its place. But I think this mentally is in a lot of regions all over the US.

It's interesting coming from a state like Kansas, where I was taught it was nothing special. We're almost never on tv, movies, books. Nobody comes from around the world to see you--we are one of the forgotten states. It just doesn't have the ego of some of the more prominent states. However, the plus side of this is that I felt the freedom to move around while never having the fear that I was "stepping down" if that makes sense. I feel as though my state didn't demand my undying loyalty.

Of course after I left home, I began to learn why I love it. It is more unique than I thought it was.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,759 times
^^^

Kansas City/St. Louis are not so much about this "revival" thing some of the other cities desperately try to prove. Those are the ones that get mad if anyone wants to leave.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Portland, Oregon
Columbia, Missouri
Lexington, Kentucky

I lived in all three of those cities and the population in all three simply lost it when I let it be known that I was going to move elsewhere. I enjoyed certain things about all three but none of them were for me in the long run. What I've experienced from living many different places is that most people who have lived at least a few places are more accepting of different opinions b/c they have been exposed to more things whereas the people I have met who have only lived in one place have tunnel vision b/c they haven't lived anywhere except the one place. It's the same concept of talking to someone who has owned and driven a Honda, Toyota, and a Nissan as opposed to someone who has only driven Toyota's their whole life and never driven any other kind of car.
As a life-long resident, I can't believe that I missed the general alert that I was supposed to "lose it" when you decided to move from Portland. Because I didn't. Had I have gotten it, not only would I not have "lost it" ... I'd have helped you pack.

Look. "The population" didn't lose anything. Maybe some people around you did, but they do not constitute "the population" of the city. And I'm sure the same is true for Columbia and Lexington.

As I'm fond of pointing out to the kids (yeah, I'm one of those cranky types) ... if we all liked and chose the same thing, we'd have a heck of a time finding our car in a parking lot.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 AM

822 posts, read 2,202,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
As a life-long resident, I can't believe that I missed the general alert that I was supposed to "lose it" when you decided to move from Portland. Because I didn't. Had I have gotten it, not only would I not have "lost it" ... I'd have helped you pack.

Look. "The population" didn't lose anything. Maybe some people around you did, but they do not constitute "the population" of the city. And I'm sure the same is true for Columbia and Lexington.

As I'm fond of pointing out to the kids (yeah, I'm one of those cranky types) ... if we all liked and chose the same thing, we'd have a heck of a time finding our car in a parking lot.

And this thread is titled "Cities where people get insulted if you express interest in wanting to leave."

Old 10-06-2012, 12:51 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Tell someone in Las Vegas, sometime, that you're planning on relocating elsewhere, like I am, to a real, true city, for a change, and?

"This is the most exciting city in the country to live in, why-oh-why would you want to leave?"

Well, it's like this: I believe sleeping 12 hours a day is far more exciting, along with a 2-3 hour nap during the daytime!

I've met a few people like this living here. It is interesting to me now when I visit another city that somewhat revolves around a normal downtown with a regular central business district. It's also neat now when I go to another city and I go into a bar or pub and they don't have video poker machines installed into the actual bar itself. A lot of the people I've met here in LV are transient but for me it's been the one's who just moved here who get all worked up when you tell them you might move out.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
And this thread is titled "Cities where people get insulted if you express interest in wanting to leave."
Excuse me? Did you think that I was insulted? Because I'm not. It wouldn't be my choice, but if someone wants to leave, they should leave. I hope they'll be happier in their new home than they were in their last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.