Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Which is why they hold the marathon in October and not July. Are you being deliberately thick?
No, my point was that people are talking about it like the heat sneaked up on them just because it was October. If it's 88 outside, the time of year doesn't matter. You look at a thermometer and decide if you should be out running for miles. It's that simple.

Are you being thick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 02:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
No, my point was that people are talking about it like the heat sneaked up on them just because it was October. If it's 88 outside, the time of year doesn't matter. You look at a thermometer and decide if you should be out running for miles. It's that simple.
Is it really that simple? Can you show me a thermometer on the market that says, "the organizers for the marathon for which you have already made a large personal, emotional and financial investment, will fail to provide adequate water and Gatorade that you've already paid for with your considerable, non-refundable fee"?

Old 10-09-2007, 03:30 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:

Are you being thick?
Seriously.

Registration for this closes in April. The training regimen ramps up in June.

It's not a simple matter of deciding not "to run for miles". It means, after spending 4 months scaling a mountain, you've got to turn around right as you're about to reach the peak. Some people were able to do that, but most cannot.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Is it really that simple? Can you show me a thermometer on the market that says, "the organizers for the marathon for which you have already made a large personal, emotional and financial investment, will fail to provide adequate water and Gatorade that you've already paid for with your considerable, non-refundable fee"?
Why would athletes who are looking out for their own health and well-being going to care about the money spent by organizers? And if they would rather take the gamble than throw away their registration fee, then so be it. That's a real love of money they've got there.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Why would athletes who are looking out for their own health and well-being going to care about the money spent by organizers? And if they would rather take the gamble than throw away their registration fee, then so be it. That's a real love of money they've got there.
At this point I think you're being dense for the sake of being dense.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
At this point I think you're being dense for the sake of being dense.
I'm being dense? I'd say you're being stubborn. If you want to say that 88-degree heat in October is different than 88 degrees in July, that's your right. If you think that it's running in the dangerous heat is more worthwhile just because you invested time and money, that's also your right. I just don't agree on either count. Deal with it.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
See if you can stop being a tool just long enough to tell me how the runners should have known before the race even started that there were going to be inadequate provisions at this particular race.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:10 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Well taking it easy 88 F and even high humidity isn't bad to me.
However even I could undestand how it's possible for even me to die from it while running in a race.

It seems likely anyone having a trouble understanding how running a race in 88 F can kill probably lives a sedentary life.

From my own experience, when I have an elevated heart-rate for a prolonged period of time from continuous heavy-excersize, it feels like your core temp goes up 10-20 F, perhaps higher!

I've gone for runs in 40 degree weather with light winds and overcast skies, and when I pushed myself hard for say 10 minutes to my body, the air felt like it was easily 70-80 F... that's not even counting how much I was sweating, plus I had no extra absorbed heat from the sun.

If someone died walking for 2 hours in 88 F weather,
I'd suspect they would have to had a variety of factors contributing to their death,
like a combo of dehyration and a heart condition, some other medical condition, or dehydration and obesity.

Continuous walking for me on an 88 F day would make the air feel more like 95 F; still not a problem but I'd sweat a fair bit.

Continuous light jogging would crank an 88 F day up another notch to the low 100's F; bareable but I'd sweat like a pig.

Continuous running "like-my-life-was-depending-on-it", no idea how hot that'd make me feel but nausea might not be out of the question.
Probably feel like sitting in a hot tub too long.

*Anyone ever excersized so hard they thought they're practically killing themselves?
Well there could be a good reason we get that feeling from time to time.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-09-2007 at 09:20 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
See if you can stop being a tool just long enough to tell me how the runners should have known before the race even started that there were going to be inadequate provisions at this particular race.
Runners need water regardless of the temperature. What does heat have to do with this? Why is Chicago taking such offense? Am I calling the whole city stupid or what?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Runners need water regardless of the temperature. What does heat have to do with this? Why is Chicago taking such offense? Am I calling the whole city stupid or what?
Mainly because you're arguing something without having a clue what you're arguing about, and it seems obvious now that you're just trolling around now, so this is my last response.

What does heat have to do with the amount of water you need while running a marathon?

Jump rope for ten minutes in your air conditioned house. Good! Now, find yourself a sauna. Jump rope in there for 10 more minutes. Compare the amount of sweat you produce. Ask yourself, what did heat have to do with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.