Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 10:46 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
In North Dakota its Bismarck mostly as that's the capital and centrally located. In Montana its Butte for some reason. In Wyoming it's a toss up between Casper and Cheyenne.
Butte probably because it is the junction of I-90 and I-15.

Wyoming is an interesting case because there are few cities of any significant population beyond Cheyenne, Casper, and Laramie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 10:43 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,896 times
CO Springs (city):

I-25 NB = Denver
I-25 SB = Pueblo

US24 EB = Limon
US24 WB = Manitou Springs/Pikes Peak

Old 10-31-2017, 01:44 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Are there any/other cities that list the number of city-proper interstate interchanges on the "entry" signs?

When entering the Greensboro, NC city limits on Interstate 40 eastbound, there is a highway sign that reads "Greensboro - Next 14 Interchanges." There is also one on the old I-85N into Greensboro (now Business 85 after the rerouting of I-85 onto the fairly new loop around the city.)

I don't know if I've seen the "exit/interchange" count signs anywhere else.
I-95 heading south into West Palm Beach, Florida:

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.7755...7i13312!8i6656

Old 10-31-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
Thanks to YouTube, it looks like you can be as far south as Virginia and see at least one sign on NB I-95 for "Baltimore/New York City". Maryland only signs "New York" on NB 95 north of Baltimore.

New York first appears on a northbound mileage sign above MD 216 in Laurel, which is north of Washington but south of Baltimore. I would show it to you on Google Streetview, but there's a truck blocking the sign.

In terms of control cities, New York first appears on I-95 northbound at the southern junction of I-695, a short distance south of Baltimore.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2466...7i13312!8i6656

Old 10-31-2017, 10:06 PM

486 posts, read 601,425 times
In Erie, PA

I-79 South: Pittsburgh
I-90 East: Buffalo
I-90 West: Cleveland
I-86 East: Jamestown

Old 11-03-2017, 01:20 PM

505 posts, read 501,979 times
On the freeways around where I live:

I-10 West: Los Angeles (switches to Santa Monica once you reach the fork to the 101)
I-10 East: San Bernardino / Riverside

SR-57 South: Santa Ana
SR-57 North: Pomona

SR-60 West: Los Angeles
SR-60 East: Pomona

I-210 West: Pasadena
I-210 East: San Bernardino

I-15 North: Barstow / Las Vegas
I-15 South: San Diego

I-5 North: Sacramento
I-5 South: San Diego

Old 11-03-2017, 01:39 PM

I actually thought about control cities on the signs while traveling in South Korea. It's effectively an island (surrounded on three sides by water, and one side by the most heavily armed border in the world), and not all that large (about the size of Indiana), so I kind of figured that the signs would just list whatever city was farthest away. But that wasn't always the case. Highway 1 (the Gyeongbu Expressway) runs from Seoul in the northwest corner down to Busan in the southeast corner. When leaving Seoul heading south, the control city is Daejeon, which is about the halfway point. But when going the other way, leaving Busan heading north, the control city is Seoul.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:44 PM

75 posts, read 152,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Kind of meaningless for those traveling the interstate highway, may as well be a city that's recognizable to most that are travelling the route. Arizona's doing it right, they post the next big city enroute, regardless if its in or out of state.
I agree that New Mexico should follow what Arizona does. And using the next major city as control cities along the interstates makes more sense instead of some small town. For instance, in Albuquerque, I-25 NB/SB should be Denver/El Paso while I-40 EB/WB should be Amarillo/Flagstaff. Then I-10 WB all the way between the Texas and Arizona state lines should be Tucson, EB should be El Paso all the way.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:08 AM

10,213 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Heading east on I-10 in Louisiana from Lafayette, the signs only say Baton Rouge and the signs for New Orleans only appear once you're in Baton Rouge. (in some other states it would have said both Baton Rouge and New Orleans). The control city really only is the next sizable city or town and not much bigger places farther away.

I don't know how far west in Louisiana the signs for Houston start appearing. In West Virginia, both Fairmont and Clarksburg are used as control cities when heading north from Charleston even though Morgantown is just past those and is by far a more prominent city. There are very few signs for Pittsburgh in West Virginia even though its not that far from the state line.

Also all the signs heading toward Maryland only say Cumberland and never Baltimore.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:12 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Heading east on I-10 in Louisiana from Lafayette, the signs only say Baton Rouge and the signs for New Orleans only appear once you're in Baton Rouge. (in some other states it would have said both Baton Rouge and New Orleans). The control city really only is the next sizable city or town and not much bigger places farther away.

I don't know how far west in Louisiana the signs for Houston start appearing. In West Virginia, both Fairmont and Clarksburg are used as control cities when heading north from Charleston even though Morgantown is just past those and is by far a more prominent city. There are very few signs for Pittsburgh in West Virginia even though its not that far from the state line.

Also all the signs heading toward Maryland only say Cumberland and never Baltimore.
Seems to depend by state DOT. For example, Interstate 10, here in AZ, Los Angeles becomes the control city starting at the Phoenix/Tempe city limit.

While conversely, in California, San Bernardino is the first control city for eastbound 10 starting in Downtown LA, then once you hit I-215, the control cities are Redlands/Palm Springs; then after CA 210, the control city is Indio, finally within the Indio city limits, the control cities are Blythe/Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City