Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 10,001 times

Advertisements

Good day everyone.

I am hoping I can get a good amount of feedback here, to help make a decision. We want to move to a new state. I'll start by a list of what we do/don't like about where we currently live, and then, a list of do/don't wants in our new city. Perhaps through this we can get a general idea of where to look.

Currently we live in Portland, Oregon.

Do like-

-A lot of smaller businesness and restraunts that are not chains
-A more accepting public of rights for all humans (gays, non-religious, etc.)
-Freeways aren't TOO crowded, with a lot of alternative routes

Don't like-

-We hate the weather (rain, rain, rain, and ice- with a good "summer" every 3-5 years-- in which good = about 3 months of decent sun and temperatures)

-The amount of hipsters and overly tolerant people - meaning the tolerance of stupidity and "i just want to be free and live man..." (I have personally known adults in their 20-30's who CHOOSE not to work so they can "experience the streets). This, is a NO GO for us.

-Prices to live in the area we love (South Waterfront) are quite high. Example- to rent a small studio, 400 sq feet, it is around $900.

I think that about sums it up. Now for the wish lists (yes and no)

Ideal-

-WARM WEATHER (I used to live in Pheonix and LOVED the weather- if this helps give you an idea)
-Lots of independant restraunts
-Equal Rights
-As little Religious Zealots as possible
-We will be going to school for two subjects:
Architecture and 3d Animation- Community College first, then university

-Nice walkways and biking trails
-We won't have kids so Schools under the College/University level don't matter
-The ability to live downtown, or close to it and spend less than $1,000 a month for a 1 bedroom. (or $1500 for a 2 bedroom).
-The ability to walk to restraunts, shops, food, etc. (and campus eventually)

What we DON'T want-

-We aren't really into diversity- ---- I'm not sure how to put this politically correct, so I'll just say, we don't want to live in a China Town, Little Mexico, or Little Italy--- we want to be able to speak English without being at a disadvantage
-As little gloomy, rainy and icy days as possible
-Hipsters
-Chain Restraunts that dominate the area
-Religious Fanatacism or Bigots

I may think of more--- but this is about it for now.

We've been considering Austin, Texas as a friend lives there part time and calls it "Warm Portland" which is our biggest complaint about Portland.... but we don't have enough information quite yet.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM

295 posts, read 659,262 times
If you don't mind a cold winter, have you thought of Pittsburgh? I lived in Portland for several years and then visited Pittsburgh from where I am now living (D.C. area) and my first impression was how much the topography was similar to Portland, at least upon first glance. In fact, the Washington Post did a article last year, "is Pittsburgh the new Portland?" It is a mid-sized city like Portland and also has a lot of independent businesses and walkable neighborhoods. Housing prices are lower than Portland. People who live there say it is cloudy a lot but I don't think it is as cloudy as Portland and the summers are warmer and longer.

Oops--I just saw the part of your post that says you loved Phoenix weather, never mind, lol!

Last edited by expdxer; 10-03-2012 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: didn't read the part in caps

Old 10-03-2012, 04:21 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
You might take a look at Nashville. The in-town neighborhoods offer pretty much everything you're looking for without the screaming hot ridiculousness of Austin weather. Check out up and coming East Nashville and 12South, the more established Green Hills/Hillsboro Village/Elliston Place area (home to Vanderbilt University and Nashville's gay neighborhoods) or historic Germantown.

Nashville Neighborhoods and Areas of Town - Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau
Nashville Neighborhoods and Areas of Town - Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau

Old 10-03-2012, 04:23 PM

46 posts, read 99,015 times
nashville is indeed a nice place, very underrated city

Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
I always marvel at the people who want to live in the perfect neighborhood, but then think the price to live there is too high. If it's perfect for them, it's probably perfect for many. And that drives the price up. That's not a city-by-city thing, it's just reality.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
It's kind of hard to offer you any suggestions since U have a picky list of what you don't want. I would suggest Las Vegas. Warm like Phoenix minus the over abundance of chain restaurants and Religious fanatics. However education is seriously lacking in Vegas. Their colleges(community&university)are not that well regarded from what I can see. Southwest cities have large Hispanic populations but there are definitely places you can live if you don't want any diversity or where speaking English is the exception rather than the rule. Vegas has a lot of Asians as well but unless you're looking for a "Chinatown" it should be pretty easy to avoid. If you want a warm southern city I recommend Atlanta or Dallas. Atlanta and Dallas are both diverse with a good population of blacks, whites, Latinos, and a handful of Asians. Stay out of the hood and other areas where minorities are the majority and you shouldn't have any issues avoiding diversity. Good luck 2 U!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM

10 posts, read 10,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I always marvel at the people who want to live in the perfect neighborhood, but then think the price to live there is too high. If it's perfect for them, it's probably perfect for many. And that drives the price up. That's not a city-by-city thing, it's just reality.
I do understand that the price is dictated by demand. That isn't my quam as much as the sq foot for the price. I've researched other downtowns in Austin for example, and you may pay a premium price, but you at least get the space.

As far as picky, yes, i know i am. I guess that is the reason for the post. A reality check to narrow down what we can and cannot budge on.

The major wants would be:

A moderate climate more on the warm side
Walkability
Atheist friendly (basically we just want to be left alone about it)
Community events (comedy, theater, TED talks, etc)
Reasonable rental prices

Thanks all again!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Prescott, Arizona. Live and let live attitude, no one cares what religion you are or anything else, green, trees, etc. They get some snow, but not that much. Nice little downtown. Can drive to Phoenix for things you really need occasionally. Close to Flagg if you want more snow, mountains once in a while and a train station.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:26 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
This is a total stab in the dark... but what about Albuquerque, NM? I know it's growing like crazy, and New Mexico has much more on the equal rights front than any surrounding states.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
While you can't do anything about the weather or the COL of most areas you can free yourself of your intolerant attitude towards people who don't think like you. Really, wherever you go there will be people you don't like so just hang out with people you do like. There are very few places where you won't find "insert lable here of whoever you don't like". THEY are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.