Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 AM

42 posts, read 66,954 times

Advertisements

What would be a good place to move to search for an entry level graphic design job (or anything I could do with that 4-year degree)? I'm 21 years old, live with my boyfriend and our two dogs, and we are looking to spend <$900 on rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 AM

42 posts, read 66,954 times
Also: I live in Raleigh, NC right now, and would like to still live in a large - or larger than Raleigh - city.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 PM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Most bigger cities with good job markets are well above your rental budget. You might check out Minneapolis-St Paul which is significantly larger than Raleigh, has lower housing costs and a 5.7% unemployment rate.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM

605 posts, read 1,049,436 times
NYC is the US Mecca for graphic design, but as the previous poster stated, rent will be much higher than your budget.

You could maybe try Atlanta or Charlotte.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:29 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Maybe the Philadelphia area would work: Graphics Designer jobs in Philadelphia, PA - Indeed Mobile

Philadelphia Apartments and Rentals on Walk Score

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-08-2012 at 07:41 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times
Its a very tough business to be in. As a graphic designer myself, you need to position yourself within 50 miles of a primary or secondary media market.

If you have very solid webskills, Southern California is a very happening place.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM

181 posts, read 503,874 times
There are jobs in SoCal but also lots of competition, and it's not the greatest place to live, especially on a budget. I don't think it's necessarily true you have to position yourself near the major markets (LA or NYC). Graphic Design is a broad field, you can always get into a different niche within it. Consumer Packaged Goods (Packaging Design) for example. Then you have a lot of options, some in relatively cheap parts of the country, like the midwest. But really most companies need designers, even if they are not a design company, per se. They need someone to do their sales presentations, Powerpoint, brochures.

If I was just starting out and had it to do over again, I would consider taking an internship first, especially if you have zero experience. Yeah, it's unpaid for a while, but could get you in the door of a good company. You learn more and build your portfolio more on the job anyway. But....I have to add that it's not as fun as it might seem, being a graphic designer. You burn yourself out quickly. I can hardly stand doing it anymore. Freelancing is another good option, if you can sell yourself. Working for companies is so exhausting. They will grind you up and spit you out. You go home exhausted and half blind from staring at the screen all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.