Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:47 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,831,122 times

Advertisements

I wasn't going to answer since everyone already thinks I am absurdly biased toward St. Louis, but since Broadrippleguy answers Indianapolis to a lot of these posts (which is fine!) I figured I'd better give St. Louis, MO some love, as I do think it may be a fit for you!

*We want all 4 seasons, Spring with new growth and life, Summer with a warm heat not too hot like FL and TX preferably in the high 80s low 90s (or lower!!), Fall when all the leaves change colors and it's beautiful and cool out, and winter where we will get to see snow!! Seeing as we are from non-snowing states, somewhere with a harsh winter may not be the best idea, but we do want a decent amount of snow.
St. Louis DEFINITELY gets the four seasons! Although Summer 2012 was a bit of a killer, it was by no means as hot and humid as it gets down in the South (at least, in comparison to where DH & I currently live in NC). The Autumn is absolutely beautiful, and there is always a decent amount of Snow in Winter although it's not crazy like further North. I originally moved to St. Louis some years ago from Australia (where I'd been skiing but didn't have to deal with 'day to day snow' if that makes sense) and I assimilated into the Winters perfectly fine! If I can do it, you can too

*Gun laws are a huge thing for us, we love our guns, and we want to keep them, as well as carry them. This is more my husband's domain than mine. But I know for sure that concealed carry is allowed in Missouri. As DH is already asleep, here is a link regarding Missouri gun laws- State of Missouri Gun Laws. By all accounts, it seems they're pretty lenient

*Firework laws! We love fireworks and want to be able to shoot them off, not little pansy ones that stay on the ground. I don't believe there is a statewide law regarding this- it depends on your county and municipality. For instance, I know that in St. Louis you are not allowed to shoot off proper fireworks, although I believe you can shoot them off in St. Charles County (about 30 mins from St. Louis) but I'm not 100% on that.

*My husband is huge into hockey and would like to move somewhere where they have adult hockey leagues, both inline and/or ice, but preferably inline. St. Louis has the St. Louis Blues Pro Hockey Team so Ice Hockey is a reasonably big deal in The Lou According to St. Louis Local Hockey Network it looks like there are a tonne of amateur leagues!

* My husband also is really into Airsoft, and we would like to live where there are some airsoft fields at least within an hour or so distance.
Again, here is a website detailing Airsoft Events in St. Louis- Airsoft St. Louis It looks like there's a field in Earth City (which is about 25 minutes from St. Louis downtown).

*We would like to live close enough to a big city that we can find work, drive for entertainment, but live far enough away to have our privacy, and some land. Preferably about 30 minutes or so from town would be awesome.
Super easy! St. Louis County, Jefferson County, St. Charles County, Franklin County etc all have plenty of small towns / suburbs / land and are all within about a half hour or so of St. Louis proper. My husband and I recently bought in St. Louis County (about 25 miles out of St. Louis downtown)- although we opted for suburbia (half an acre, 3 bed, 2.5 bath, double garage). There are plenty of affordable places out there though with decent amounts of land up for grabs

Also, in closing, I've got to say that St. Louis's main selling points to me, are it's affordability, amenities and accessibility. St. Louis is considered the #1 city for cheapskates in the US (by Kiplingers) and frequently ranks as one of the most affordable cities to live in. My husband and I were able to pay for our house in cash (depending on what you're looking for and how much work you're willing to do, there are some MAJOR bargains) but still get everything we desired.

The Amenities in St. Louis are fabulous- whether you're into the Arts or Pro Sports or the Outdoors or Dining there's something for everyone. Plus, St. Louis has some incredible examples of architecture, and in my opinion, is a truly beautiful city with so much more potential than it's given credit for.

Finally, St. Louis has the #2nd most miles of Interstate per capita in the U.S. (after Kansas City) which makes getting around so simple! So even if you live a decent way out of the city, getting into town is usually a breeze if you're near one of the many interstates!

Anyway, I think you and your husband should go on a little roadtrip / vacation throughout the Midwest and hit up places like St. Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, etc to see which one takes your fancy

Good Luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,485,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I wasn't going to answer since everyone already thinks I am absurdly biased toward St. Louis, but since Broadrippleguy answers Indianapolis to a lot of these posts (which is fine!) I figured I'd better give St. Louis, MO some love, as I do think it may be a fit for you!

*We want all 4 seasons, Spring with new growth and life, Summer with a warm heat not too hot like FL and TX preferably in the high 80s low 90s (or lower!!), Fall when all the leaves change colors and it's beautiful and cool out, and winter where we will get to see snow!! Seeing as we are from non-snowing states, somewhere with a harsh winter may not be the best idea, but we do want a decent amount of snow.
St. Louis DEFINITELY gets the four seasons! Although Summer 2012 was a bit of a killer, it was by no means as hot and humid as it gets down in the South (at least, in comparison to where DH & I currently live in NC). The Autumn is absolutely beautiful, and there is always a decent amount of Snow in Winter although it's not crazy like further North. I originally moved to St. Louis some years ago from Australia (where I'd been skiing but didn't have to deal with 'day to day snow' if that makes sense) and I assimilated into the Winters perfectly fine! If I can do it, you can too

*Gun laws are a huge thing for us, we love our guns, and we want to keep them, as well as carry them. This is more my husband's domain than mine. But I know for sure that concealed carry is allowed in Missouri. As DH is already asleep, here is a link regarding Missouri gun laws- State of Missouri Gun Laws. By all accounts, it seems they're pretty lenient

*Firework laws! We love fireworks and want to be able to shoot them off, not little pansy ones that stay on the ground. I don't believe there is a statewide law regarding this- it depends on your county and municipality. For instance, I know that in St. Louis you are not allowed to shoot off proper fireworks, although I believe you can shoot them off in St. Charles County (about 30 mins from St. Louis) but I'm not 100% on that.

*My husband is huge into hockey and would like to move somewhere where they have adult hockey leagues, both inline and/or ice, but preferably inline. St. Louis has the St. Louis Blues Pro Hockey Team so Ice Hockey is a reasonably big deal in The Lou According to St. Louis Local Hockey Network it looks like there are a tonne of amateur leagues!

* My husband also is really into Airsoft, and we would like to live where there are some airsoft fields at least within an hour or so distance.
Again, here is a website detailing Airsoft Events in St. Louis- Airsoft St. Louis It looks like there's a field in Earth City (which is about 25 minutes from St. Louis downtown).

*We would like to live close enough to a big city that we can find work, drive for entertainment, but live far enough away to have our privacy, and some land. Preferably about 30 minutes or so from town would be awesome.
Super easy! St. Louis County, Jefferson County, St. Charles County, Franklin County etc all have plenty of small towns / suburbs / land and are all within about a half hour or so of St. Louis proper. My husband and I recently bought in St. Louis County (about 25 miles out of St. Louis downtown)- although we opted for suburbia (half an acre, 3 bed, 2.5 bath, double garage). There are plenty of affordable places out there though with decent amounts of land up for grabs

Also, in closing, I've got to say that St. Louis's main selling points to me, are it's affordability, amenities and accessibility. St. Louis is considered the #1 city for cheapskates in the US (by Kiplingers) and frequently ranks as one of the most affordable cities to live in. My husband and I were able to pay for our house in cash (depending on what you're looking for and how much work you're willing to do, there are some MAJOR bargains) but still get everything we desired.

The Amenities in St. Louis are fabulous- whether you're into the Arts or Pro Sports or the Outdoors or Dining there's something for everyone. Plus, St. Louis has some incredible examples of architecture, and in my opinion, is a truly beautiful city with so much more potential than it's given credit for.

Finally, St. Louis has the #2nd most miles of Interstate per capita in the U.S. (after Kansas City) which makes getting around so simple! So even if you live a decent way out of the city, getting into town is usually a breeze if you're near one of the many interstates!

Anyway, I think you and your husband should go on a little roadtrip / vacation throughout the Midwest and hit up places like St. Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, etc to see which one takes your fancy

Good Luck to you!
The ONLY state that doesnt allow Concealed Carry is you guessed it Illinois or the Land of Illness and Corruption.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,095,502 times
I'd suggest checking Montanna, North East Minnesota, or North Dakota: Grand Forks N.D.or Fargo N.D.are big hockey towns, all four seasons, check the gun laws cwp's, fireworks not allowed except the city displays.

Last edited by JanND; 10-09-2012 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 10-14-2012, 09:07 PM

58 posts, read 126,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post

Good Luck to you!
Thanks for the advice!! We will look into it! It sounds nice as well as Indianapolis.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:55 PM

932 posts, read 1,934,665 times
PA would match your criteria, except for the fireworks. PA is very gun friendly. No state level NFA laws, private party sales of long guns without transfers, unlicensed OC, shall-issue CC, no buy limits, no tracked ammo sales, no registration.

The negative gun laws in PA:
must be licensed to CC (shall-issue state, licensing isn't an issue unless you have a record or live in Philly)
No unlicensed OC in Philly
transfers required for handgun sales
No unlicensed vehicle carry

Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM

38 posts, read 59,081 times
Take a look at Boise, Idaho. Might be a little smaller than you were thinking - but it has plenty of amenities. The BSU broncos football is HUGE around here. We also have hockey and semi pro baseball. We have our own mall and all the main chain restaurants. Chick Fil A is even opening here this month. Movie theaters, and concerts come into town.

Boise has all 4 seasons. Summer is gorgeous here. Dry so you don't sweat much. In the 90's and sometimes hits 100. Spring can be a little chilly and windy. Fall is beautiful but short. Winter is very cold. We do get snow but it's usually gone in a day or so unless it's a huge dumping. But the temps can dip very, very cold.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
PA would match your criteria, except for the fireworks. PA is very gun friendly. No state level NFA laws, private party sales of long guns without transfers, unlicensed OC, shall-issue CC, no buy limits, no tracked ammo sales, no registration.

The negative gun laws in PA:
must be licensed to CC (shall-issue state, licensing isn't an issue unless you have a record or live in Philly)
No unlicensed OC in Philly
transfers required for handgun sales
No unlicensed vehicle carry
I will have to look into the fireworks because that is a big thing for my husband, his favorite holiday is July 4th and shooting off hundreds of dollars worth of fireworks.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madetomom View Post
Take a look at Boise, Idaho. Might be a little smaller than you were thinking - but it has plenty of amenities. The BSU broncos football is HUGE around here. We also have hockey and semi pro baseball. We have our own mall and all the main chain restaurants. Chick Fil A is even opening here this month. Movie theaters, and concerts come into town.

Boise has all 4 seasons. Summer is gorgeous here. Dry so you don't sweat much. In the 90's and sometimes hits 100. Spring can be a little chilly and windy. Fall is beautiful but short. Winter is very cold. We do get snow but it's usually gone in a day or so unless it's a huge dumping. But the temps can dip very, very cold.
Thanks for the suggestion, but we are looking for more snow that only a day or two. If I have to deal with freezing my butt off I want to have fun in the white stuff! Lol =)

Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM

932 posts, read 1,934,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffc View Post
I will have to look into the fireworks because that is a big thing for my husband, his favorite holiday is July 4th and shooting off hundreds of dollars worth of fireworks.
Most of the fireworks he owns are probably from the Pittsburgh area, too. I don't know if the fireworks laws are local laws or state laws, you might want to check that out. Having spent my whole life around Philly, things are a little more restrictive out here than they are in the rest of the state.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:02 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,778,334 times
Just be awesome and move to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.