Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:47 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,429 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals..

Been meaning to do this thread for a while so here it goes.

I'm currently living in Oregon and looking to move back to the East Coast next year. I moved here from the Mt. Washington Valley area of New Hampshire in January of last year and miss what the area has to offer. The greenery in the Summer. Mountains, lakes, rivers, scenery, skiing, four seasons, not too far from Logan Airport, Beaches, Shopping and concerts.

As some of you may know though, It's expensive to live there. I also find the job market in N.H is rather limited. Especially the MWV area. Though that is usually common with rural areas.

I've travelled around the East Coast quite a bit and one of the places I really liked is Virginia. Seemed to have a lot of qualities that N.H. had from what I remember. Other States we are considering but never been to is SC, NC, FL and TN.

As for work, I'd like to get into the IT industry and my girlfriend wants to study Criminal Law once we move and head in that direction. Probably look for a job as a 911 dispacher while she studies.

Of course areas that are safe and have good schools are a big plus too. No kids yet though.

I'd really like to have the four seasons again but would like to be closer to the beach side than the ski this time round. So a warmer climate. I wouldn't mind if the closest ski area is WITHIN a 3 hour drive. I do realize I may have to give up the full effect of four seasons in a warmer climate though. I would still like to be with a reasonably short drive to see the foliage though and some nice scenic roads for a nice motorcycle ride.
Not too far from some nice ATV trails.
Not too far from a venue that get Music concerts. A gun friendly State. Places to shoot. Close to a mall and good variety of restaurants. Prefer to eat at home but like to try something new when we go out. And not too far from an Airport.

I think that about sums it up for now. If I think of anything else I'll add it.

Thanks in advance and really appreciate the posters that have helped people like me. Have read a lot of good responses on this forum!

Hope I'm not too picky...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
I'd recommend Fredericksburg, Virginia. It has a moderate cost of living yet is in commute distance to the DC/Northern Virginia job market, fairly low crime rate, offers good schools and fulfills pretty much all of your other criteria as well. You can reap some pretty decent salaries out of working in DC and take the train to/from work. Many employers will subsidize your transit costs as well, not to mention many offer flex time in the area to coincide with commute times. And by the way the vast DC metro area's very diverse economy has a crazy low unemployment rate of just 5.3%.

Fredericksburg, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
General Schedule Information - VRE

Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Charlottesville VA may offer the balance that you want.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd recommend Fredericksburg, Virginia. It has a moderate cost of living yet is in commute distance to the DC/Northern Virginia job market, fairly low crime rate, offers good schools and fulfills pretty much all of your other criteria as well. You can reap some pretty decent salaries out of working in DC and take the train to/from work. Many employers will subsidize your transit costs as well, not to mention many offer flex time in the area to coincide with commute times. And by the way the vast DC metro area's very diverse economy has a crazy low unemployment rate of just 5.3%.

Fredericksburg, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
General Schedule Information - VRE
Thank you! Will look into Fredericksburg.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Charlottesville VA may offer the balance that you want.
Charlottesville has been on our radar. Thanks.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 PM

432 posts, read 610,338 times
I recommend New Hope, PA

Old 11-05-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
I recommend New Hope, PA
New Hope looks nice but it looks like might have a very limited job market being so small...?

Old 11-06-2012, 09:10 AM

932 posts, read 1,945,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
New Hope looks nice but it looks like might have a very limited job market being so small...?
New Hope is right in the mix of Greater Philadelphia. The job market is strong throughout the region, but you may not be able to walk/bike to work from New Hope, but you can definitely find a job in the area.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:18 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Perhaps Dover DE or places like Havre De Grace and Aberdeen MD could work as well.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps Dover DE or places like Havre De Grace and Aberdeen MD could work as well.
Thanks. Will look into those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.