Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM

58 posts, read 127,068 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both from FL, we currently live in Central Texas because he is in the military. But he gets out soon -yay- and we are looking to a new place to move. I can't handle this 114 degree Texas summer heat anymore, and I hate FL's economy and heat as well. Seeing as we have only lived in FL and TX we really don't know what else is out there in the US! Here are some of our criteria we are looking for:

*We want all 4 seasons, Spring with new growth and life, Summer with a warm heat not too hot like FL and TX preferably in the high 80s low 90s (or lower!!), Fall when all the leaves change colors and it's beautiful and cool out, and winter where we will get to see snow!! Seeing as we are from non-snowing states, somewhere with a harsh winter may not be the best idea, but we do want a decent amount of snow.

*Gun laws are a huge thing for us, we love our guns, and we want to keep them, as well as carry them.

*Firework laws! We love fireworks and want to be able to shoot them off, not little pansy ones that stay on the ground.

*My husband is huge into hockey and would like to move somewhere where they have adult hockey leagues, both inline and/or ice, but preferably inline.

* My husband also is really into Airsoft, and we would like to live where there are some airsoft fields at least within an hour or so distance.

*We would like to live close enough to a big city that we can find work, drive for entertainment, but live far enough away to have our privacy, and some land. Preferably about 30 minutes or so from town would be awesome.

Thanks so much in advance for any tips and help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,623 times
Define big city. It may be difficult to find land within 30 minutes of some peoples definition of big city. Having said that, weather wise, the Denver, CO area sounds like it may be a fit.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Perhaps the Pittsburgh area would fit as well.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Indianapolis would be a great place for you.
#1 it has the lowest cost of living of ANY major US city.
#2 Indy has the nations most affordable housing market. Average home price in Indianapolis: 100k
#3 Indianapolis is the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest and is a leader in the midwest for job creation. 2nd only to the Twin Cities.
#4 Indy is a very family friendly city and Indy was also ranked as the 4th happiest city for young professionals. Cities With Happiest Young Professionals - Business Insider
#5 Indianapolis offers many unique and wonderful amendities for a city of 2M people. Attractions include Downtown Indianapolis which has over 200 unique resturants. 85% locally owned. 300+ unique shops and Circle Centre Mall and the 2nd highest concentration of monuments in a city. *2nd only to Washington D.C*
#6 Indianapolis has low traffic for a city its size. Drive through Chicago/Charlotte/Washington D.C/Atlanta/Austin Texas and youll see a major difference in traffic backups.
#7 Indy is famous for its sports and hosting large events. The Worlds Largest sporting event the Indy 500 is held here every may and the city turns to Party Town USA for the month of may. Super Bowl 46 was also held here and our city recieved such rave reviews Indy will be bidding for a Super Bowl either in 2018 or 2019. The Super Bowl Village turned Indianapolis into the worlds party capital for 10 days.
#8 Indianapolis has a strong life sciences/biotech industry. Eli Lily has its worlds headquarters in Indy and employs thousands of people. Dow Agrosciences is also located here. Along with IT companies like Angie's list/ExactTarget.
#9 Indianapolis is within a days drive to 80% of the US population. This is a major factor in the high amount of distribution jobs in Indy. a 4 hour drive or less will put you in these cities: Chicago/Milwaukee or south side of it/Detroit/Cincy/Louisville/St Louis/Fort Wayne/Columbus Ohio/Dayton.
#10 Indianapolis has very open minded/friendly people. Visitors for Super Bowl 46 raved about how nice and kind everyone was and how awsome Hoosier Hospitality was. People are down to earth and will go out of their way to help you. Also people are tolorant of other races/cultures. Indy is the most racially intregrated city in the north. 25% of blacks and whites live on the same block.

Here are my top 10 reasons why i love Indy

Hockey teams include the Indiana ice league.
Indiana is like Texas in terms of gun laws. very open ended gun laws. easy to obtain a permit and hunt
Indiana also has a very open fireworks laws.
No part of the state can ban fireworks during the 4th of july holiday and during new years holiday's.
Every local government in Indiana has their own policies though.
Finally there are plenty of towns/small cities across Central Indiana that are far enough from Indianapolis so your options are endless on how close or far away from Indy you want to be

Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
I'd focus my efforts on the northern Plains states. North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, maybe Kansas. Cities like Wichita, Omaha, and Rapid City could be good fits for you.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,852 times
Minneapolis would be a good fit.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Define big city. It may be difficult to find land within 30 minutes of some peoples definition of big city. Having said that, weather wise, the Denver, CO area sounds like it may be a fit.
By big city I simply mean city haha, somewhere with a large choice of places to eat, things to do, places to go. I don't necessarily mean big like NYC, but something like Austin, Dallas, San Antonio. I used to live near Tampa, but we had everything we needed in my smaller city area so there was never a need to drive to Tampa. But here at Fort Hood, we have to drive all the way to Dallas, Austin, etc., which are all over an hour and a half drive away to get to any good malls, food, or entertainment.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:34 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,623 times
Well again, climate wise the Denver area sounds like it may be a good fit. I've also done a little research and it appears you have the ability to carry weapons in CO (I'm not sure about Denver specifically), there is an airsoft group, and a hockey league. I'm not positive, but pretty certain fireworks would be banned in Denver. I'm not sure about suburbs though. I honestly have no idea about the housing situation there too. The Denver area is just my initial thought based off of the climate. I'm sure there may be other areas that would work as well, maybe even better.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indianapolis would be a great place for you.
#1 it has the lowest cost of living of ANY major US city.
#2 Indy has the nations most affordable housing market. Average home price in Indianapolis: 100k
#3 Indianapolis is the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest and is a leader in the midwest for job creation. 2nd only to the Twin Cities.
#4 Indy is a very family friendly city and Indy was also ranked as the 4th happiest city for young professionals. Cities With Happiest Young Professionals - Business Insider
#5 Indianapolis offers many unique and wonderful amendities for a city of 2M people. Attractions include Downtown Indianapolis which has over 200 unique resturants. 85% locally owned. 300+ unique shops and Circle Centre Mall and the 2nd highest concentration of monuments in a city. *2nd only to Washington D.C*
#6 Indianapolis has low traffic for a city its size. Drive through Chicago/Charlotte/Washington D.C/Atlanta/Austin Texas and youll see a major difference in traffic backups.
#7 Indy is famous for its sports and hosting large events. The Worlds Largest sporting event the Indy 500 is held here every may and the city turns to Party Town USA for the month of may. Super Bowl 46 was also held here and our city recieved such rave reviews Indy will be bidding for a Super Bowl either in 2018 or 2019. The Super Bowl Village turned Indianapolis into the worlds party capital for 10 days.
#8 Indianapolis has a strong life sciences/biotech industry. Eli Lily has its worlds headquarters in Indy and employs thousands of people. Dow Agrosciences is also located here. Along with IT companies like Angie's list/ExactTarget.
#9 Indianapolis is within a days drive to 80% of the US population. This is a major factor in the high amount of distribution jobs in Indy. a 4 hour drive or less will put you in these cities: Chicago/Milwaukee or south side of it/Detroit/Cincy/Louisville/St Louis/Fort Wayne/Columbus Ohio/Dayton.
#10 Indianapolis has very open minded/friendly people. Visitors for Super Bowl 46 raved about how nice and kind everyone was and how awsome Hoosier Hospitality was. People are down to earth and will go out of their way to help you. Also people are tolorant of other races/cultures. Indy is the most racially intregrated city in the north. 25% of blacks and whites live on the same block.

Here are my top 10 reasons why i love Indy

Hockey teams include the Indiana ice league.
Indiana is like Texas in terms of gun laws. very open ended gun laws. easy to obtain a permit and hunt
Indiana also has a very open fireworks laws.
No part of the state can ban fireworks during the 4th of july holiday and during new years holiday's.
Every local government in Indiana has their own policies though.
Finally there are plenty of towns/small cities across Central Indiana that are far enough from Indianapolis so your options are endless on how close or far away from Indy you want to be
That was an AWESOME description!! My husband really liked a lot of the points you wrote down, so we will definitely look into the surrounding Indianapolis area!!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Well again, climate wise the Denver area sounds like it may be a good fit. I've also done a little research and it appears you have the ability to carry weapons in CO (I'm not sure about Denver specifically), there is an airsoft group, and a hockey league. I'm not positive, but pretty certain fireworks would be banned in Denver. I'm not sure about suburbs though. I honestly have no idea about the housing situation there too. The Denver area is just my initial thought based off of the climate. I'm sure there may be other areas that would work as well, maybe even better.
With all the shootings that seem to happen in Colorado my husband is leaning away from it. He is scared that because of all the gun incidents they are going to be switching to tighter gun laws. But I did look up the weather and the climate seems very close to what we would like. Thanks for the suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.