Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times

Advertisements

Personally, here's my vote. I nominate St. Louis as eventually being one of the most navigable cities in the United States right now for two reasons. Number one...if you don't want to go downtown and you are trying to cross into Illinois or Missouri, you can take the alternative bypass routes (I-270 and I-255). You also have four major interstates making a big X at down (I-70, I-64, I-55, and I-44). There is a bridge planned for Interstate 70 that will move it off the Poplar Street Bridge and move it's crossing a few miles upstream, to basically just north of the northern edge of downtown. I-44 will replace the depressed section of I-70 going to the Poplar Street Bridge. I also think Cleveland is quite navigable. You've got I-480 if you want to go into the city, you've got I-80 for traffic to bypass it the south, you've got I-90 taking you downtown (though the dead man's curve is INSANELY dangerous)...you've got I-71 and I-77 meeting I-90 at downtown, I-71 serving West Cleveland, I-77 Eastern/Central Cleveland, and you've got I-271 bypassing Cleveland to the east. My final nomination is Indy...I-465 is a good alternative route to I-70 for traffic wishing to avoid downtown. I-74 and I-69 not going downtown I see as a problem though. Chicago and New York apart from the congestion have great interstate highway systems. For Chicago, you have I-55 connecting you to the western and southwestern suburbs and St. Louis, I-57 goes through the eastern and southeastern suburbs and bypasses St. Louis approximately 70 miles to the east, providing a nice alternative to I-55 for Memphis-bound traffic, I-80 bypasses Chicago to the south and connects it to San Francisco, I-94 connects Chicago to Detroit and the Twin Cities and provides a shorter route to Billings than I-90, I-90 connects Chicago to Seattle My votes are placed. How about your's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.