U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 AM

34 posts, read 57,279 times

Advertisements

I am a single African American woman from Las Vegas, early 20's looking to relocate. Factors important to me are nightlife, scenery, friendliness, employment/cost of living, and diversity preferably with a "fair" population of Blacks. I have narrowed it down to Houston and Philly but was also considering Florida and possibly Atlanta. As a sidenote I will be attending graduate school so colleges are somewhat important but not as important as the location itself. I am concerned that Houston will not be a good choice because I've heard it's not a very attractive city, and it is the kind of city where you have to know where to go to enjoy it. Is this true, because I don't know anyone in Houston? I am concerned about Philly mainly because it's on the East coast and being from the West I'm worried that people may not be very welcoming so it will be hard to make friends. Help please
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 06:57 AM

24,701 posts, read 38,850,866 times
I would advise against Philly as it's not a welcoming/friendly city in my opinion (lived there for 8 years), it's not especially scenic outside of a few historic areas (otherwise rather grimy) and not particularly well-blended socially in terms of Blacks and Whites. I agree with your assessment of Houston and would highly encourage you to consider Atlanta which ticks off each of your criteria. While not on your list you might also take a look at Washington DC which while not cheap offers up great employment prospects ( by way of a very low 5.5% unemployment rate), a good nightlife scene, diverse population and a beautiful city with great architecture well-blended with greenspace. Besides the more expensive prestigious private schools such as Georgetown, George Washington, Howard and American there are very good, less pricey options in George Mason University and the University of Maryland.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:58 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,230,544 times
Lmao Philly is not friendly by any means. You mentioned Atlanta; I think you should give it a try.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM

79,644 posts, read 107,779,116 times
A sleeper may be Columbus OH, which has Ohio State and is an area that has been mentioned as a good area for Black folks. It is the 17th biggest city in the country and is still growing.

Another sleeper area is the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro due to its proximity to NYC, for having one of smallest gaps in pay between Blacks and Whites in the country, it has cities and towns that are pretty integrated and outside of parts of those cities, it is pretty safe. There are some colleges in the area, but check to see if they have what you need.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:22 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,230,544 times
^^^ What chk said.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:02 PM

34 posts, read 57,279 times
DC was also on my list, I just figured the cost of living was too high but I looked up George Mason U and it seems to be a better option for graduate school. Thank you so much! I'll have to pay a visit to Atlanta again. Seemed very segregated and a bit superficial but the nightlife was amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would advise against Philly as it's not a welcoming/friendly city in my opinion (lived there for 8 years), it's not especially scenic outside of a few historic areas (otherwise rather grimy) and not particularly well-blended socially in terms of Blacks and Whites. I agree with your assessment of Houston and would highly encourage you to consider Atlanta which ticks off each of your criteria. While not on your list you might also take a look at Washington DC which while not cheap offers up great employment prospects ( by way of a very low 5.5% unemployment rate), a good nightlife scene, diverse population and a beautiful city with great architecture well-blended with greenspace. Besides the more expensive prestigious private schools such as Georgetown, George Washington, Howard and American there are very good, less pricey options in George Mason University and the University of Maryland.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:34 PM

79,644 posts, read 107,779,116 times
What kind of program are you looking to get into, OP?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 PM

822 posts, read 2,097,580 times
If I was you I'd go with Atlanta. Atlanta will have a warmer climate like you are used to. It also has some hiking areas. Philadelphia has more of an older industrial structure whereas Atlanta has a lot more new structures. I like Houston but don't care for the landscape b/c it's way to flat for me. I would visit both if you can but having been to all the cities you mentioned and being as I live in Las Vegas like you and knowing what you're most likely used to I would recommend Atlanta. Good luck and have fun.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:03 PM

14,743 posts, read 32,056,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Lmao Philly is not friendly by any means. You mentioned Atlanta; I think you should give it a try.
I know some products of Villanova Univ. and they are not that friendly, and seemingly keep their friendships limited to those who went to parochial HSs in the Philadelphia area. They make me wonder about Philly, and I've had mixed results with people from there. I would go Atlanta. I think that the swing from LV type heat to Houston type heat might be a little drastic. At least, Atlanta is a little more temperate this way. She needs to realize that all of her choices involve moving from bone dry to humid zones. Regardless, the OP is one of many who have tried LV and want out. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 PM

14,743 posts, read 32,056,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would advise against Philly as it's not a welcoming/friendly city in my opinion (lived there for 8 years), it's not especially scenic outside of a few historic areas (otherwise rather grimy) and not particularly well-blended socially in terms of Blacks and Whites.
They welcomed Eddie Murphy in "Trading Places," putting him up in some nice digs and making him rich in the process. Couldn't resist. You lived there, so I value your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.