Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 07:17 PM

9 posts, read 9,974 times

Advertisements

So, my husband and I are retiring from our high stress jobs in NYC with plenty of savings and good online/at home job prospects. We do have a family with 3 young children and are looking for a nice place to call home (at least until the next adventure begins.) Both my husband and I are huge outdoors people and adventurers, and after years of flying back and forth between NYC and different mountain ranges, rivers, beaches, etc. we're hoping to find a new home offering a lot of nature nearby. We hoping to be near mountains with good hiking, mountaineering, and skiing/boarding as well as a river or two with some class IV+ rapids for kayaking. Good areas for running and biking would be good too. We'd like to be maybe 1-2 hours from a decent sized city and airport. We need pretty good schools for the kids, but we really don't want any of the pressure cookers. We're thinking somewhere near the Rockies or Cascades would be best, but open to anywhere. Obviously we're never going to meet all of our wishlist, so we're definitely open to suggestions and different types of locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 07:25 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Ithaca, NY
Denver, CO
Atlanta, GA

Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Check out Charleston, Elkins or Morgantown, WV.... You won't be disappointed.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,407 times
I second the Denver, CO, Colorado Springs area

Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 AM

Yeah Colorado Springs would be awesome for you guys too.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:06 AM

93,314 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Maybe Glens Falls, Saratoga Springs, Ticonderoga and Lake George near the Adirondacks. Albany has an airport not too far away from these places. Perhaps even places in the Adirondacks like Lake Placid or Saranac Lake. Plattsburgh has its own city beach that is free to city residents and is close to mountains, Burlington VT and Montreal. Plattsburgh has an airport, but Burlington may have cheaper rates due to being a bigger area. Schools are good in all of these communities as well.

Here is some good information: Go Adirondack -Home Page - The Adirondack Coast - Lake Champlain - New York

I'll add more information later.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-16-2012 at 07:55 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 AM

Oh yeah I forgot about Burlington, VT.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 PM

854 posts, read 1,703,680 times
Bend/Redmond, Oregon. My son lives there and it's beautiful.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM

93,314 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe Glens Falls, Saratoga Springs, Ticonderoga and Lake George near the Adirondacks. Albany has an airport not too far away from these places. Perhaps even places in the Adirondacks like Lake Placid or Saranac Lake. Plattsburgh has its own city beach that is free to city residents and is close to mountains, Burlington VT and Montreal. Plattsburgh has an airport, but Burlington may have cheaper rates due to being a bigger area. Schools are good in all of these communities as well.

Here is some good information: Go Adirondack -Home Page - The Adirondack Coast - Lake Champlain - New York

I'll add more information later.
Town of Ticonderoga
Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce
Ticonderoga Central School District
Inter-Lakes Health: Welcome to Inter-Lakes Health.

City of Saratoga Springs
Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate
Saratoga Springs New York: Meeting, Conference & Event Facilites From Saratoga Convention & Tourism Bureau
Saratoga Hospital >
Saratoga Springs City School District

Glens Falls, NY - Official Website
Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.
Glens Falls City School District - Index
Glens Falls Hospital

Lake George Village
Lake George, New York Chamber of Commerce - Gateway to the Adirondacks
Town Of Lake George: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Lake George - Official Guide to Lake George NY: Hotels, Restaurants, Vacations & More at LakeGeorge.com
Welcome again and again! | Visit Lake George
Lake George Central School District

Village of Saranac Lake, New York*
Saranac Lake, NY
District Home - District Home
Adirondack Medical Center - Adirondack Medical Center

Lake Placid, NY - Invent Your Own Perfect Day
Lake Placid New York
Lake Placid Central School: Home Page

City of Plattsburgh
CVPH Medical Center : Providing a comprehensive array of medical services to meet the needs of our community.
Plattsburgh City School District
Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce

There are also places like Ballston Spa, Port Henry/Moriah, suburbs of Glens Falls and Elizabethtown, among others that may work as well.

You may be interested in this list as well: 2011 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

Old 10-18-2012, 02:14 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,224 times
I second the Bend/Redmond area; also Eugene, Salem, Hood River or the outskirts of the Portland metro area. In Washington, somewhere in the Olympia/Mt. Rainier area might work, or someplace like Wenatchee or Chelan on the other side of the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.