Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM

7 posts, read 13,234 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

First post yah!

Anyway I'm wondering if you guys could tell me which city I can move to which meets the following criteria:

1) Single family homes available for up to $400k.

2) Large south asian population (at least 20%)

3) Good public transport (I mostly work from home but I want to be able to get to shops easily for groceries)

4) Low crime

5) Friendly community (I don't know if you can measure this but thought I would add it)

I have looked through a few cities in the last few days but can't find one which fits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Don't know wehre you're coming from, but my first thought is Edison NJ, a NYC suburb of about 100,000 with a large south Asian population. Its schools and quality of life are reputed to be very very good, housing costs are reasonable, and its about an hour commute from midtown Manhattan. Can't vouch for the downtown walkability of the place, however. I was there years ago and it seemed fairly suburban and car-oriented, though I didn't see the entire town, only one residence. Maybe others here know more about it.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:36 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Your list seems like it might cover a lot of suburban candidates.

Troy, Michigan falls into that category though only the south side of the city has bus service. On the plus side, the bus hubs are at the malls so as long as you can get to a route, you're good. It's 20% asian out of 81,000 total residents but not sure how many are specifically south asian. To me it seems like a fairly even mix of both south and east asians. Crime is about average for a suburban community save for shoplifting at the malls.

The homes on the south side of the city range from 100K to 200K. The north and west side will likely be over your budget and range from 350K to 600K and above. But then those areas don't have bus service and the houses are much are much bigger and newer than the homes of the south side. Mostly depends on what you're looking for in a house.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:47 AM

7 posts, read 13,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Don't know wehre you're coming from, but my first thought is Edison NJ, a NYC suburb of about 100,000 with a large south Asian population. Its schools and quality of life are reputed to be very very good, housing costs are reasonable, and its about an hour commute from midtown Manhattan. Can't vouch for the downtown walkability of the place, however. I was there years ago and it seemed fairly suburban and car-oriented, though I didn't see the entire town, only one residence. Maybe others here know more about it.
I have heard of Edison City but couldn't find any information on the public transport in the city.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:18 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n62alpha View Post
I have heard of Edison City but couldn't find any information on the public transport in the city.
New Jersey Transit

Edison Light Transit - The Official Web Site Of Edison, NJ*

New Jersey Transit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.