Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 01:17 AM

34 posts, read 64,237 times

Advertisements

Im going to be doing a training program at an insurance
company. I have a choice between two cities to do the program
St Paul or Hartford. I would be coming from los angeles. I really excited cause
I want to make a big and live in a smaller city I just want to make the best
choice cause I plan on living in the city I choose for a long time.
Can anyone tell me which one of these cities are the most livable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 05:32 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I would say St Paul.

Minneapolis-St Paul is a fairly large metro area (16th largest in the US with 3.3 million people) and would offer most everything you're used to in LA minus the milder weather, high cost of living, smog, traffic and suburban sprawl. Minneapolis-St Paul has a vibrant food scene, bar/music scene and is a fairly young metro area. Hartford while nice enough just can't compete with it in my opinion unless perhaps you're married with kids. Good luck!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:12 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
I grew up in the suburbs of Hartford and my mother actually worked for an insurance giant there (you can probably guess which one). I really like CT to be honest with you; it would be the place I'd choose to retire even though I love NYC.

I've never been to St. Paul so I can't really comment on that.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:30 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Hartford holds appeal if you want to live in the outskirting surburbs, and the idea of living 2 hours from Boston or New York City in either direction sounds good to you, plus all the beauty and recreation in New England (RI & Cape Cod Beaches/ NH & VT mountains and skiing). The city of Hartford on its own merrits is well....meh. Not a whole lot going on in the city with mostly just a 9-5 downtown, though it is improving. There are some nice suburbs though, West Hartford in particular.

St. Paul and neighboring Minnepaolis would be better if having the ammenities, feel, and scope of living in a large metropolitan area and quality of urban neighborhoods and urban living right at your doorstep is important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.