Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 AM

27 posts, read 89,963 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I currently live in England. Im guessing you all know your geography but for those who dont, its part of United Kingdom. I have been working for 17 years and have 2 children. They are 3 and 5 years old. I am seriously thinking about moving to America to join all you fine people . I find your country to be absolutely magnificint with views and history that is second to none. I finaly want to escape the constant rain and sub zero temperatures that is England.

I am looking for you guys to tell me which city most meets my reqirments. I want that house you sometimes see on family films like daddy day care. The house that has a nice front and back garden. A little drive coming up to your house on a lovely residentail street. I need good schools and although crime is inevitable I want you guys to advise me on the level of crime at each city you put to me. All in all I want a lovely house on a quiet street which is in a city Also something which is very important to me is the snow. Its my dream to have my house covered in snow with all my christmas lights so could you guys please add that to you criteria Big ask I know but im sure you people know enough about your country to advise me. Also I am also a chartered Accountant. So If that is your area or you can add that to your decision on a city for me that would be greatly appreciated. I know its early for you people lol but im bored in work at 9.16 am here so do your best.

My dream has always been chicago and San fransico but could you guys please give me the low down on these two cities as my only knowledge of these cities is of course what i see on films.

Have a nice day anyway and lets have them suggestions.

Last edited by danny4kj; 10-09-2007 at 03:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 05:25 AM

9 posts, read 9,518 times
Well Chicago has more crime than San Fransico. San Fransico is the more beautiful of the two. Chicago would have the snow.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 AM

how about other cities, what other cities meet my needs?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 AM

528 posts, read 2,482,109 times
price range? and how big of a "city"?
Several cities in New England come to mind....Boston, or some small cities like Concord (NH), Burlington (VT), etc.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 AM

572 posts, read 1,996,725 times
Check out Saint Louis.
Very affordable compared to other major cities. Check out the southwest portion of the city along with Webster Groves and University City.
Very navigable. Large city streets make traveling in the city a breeze. Good highway system.
Plenty to do. Outdoor activities, arts, sports, etc...
Tons of history. Great architecture, neighborhoods.
Great organizations to get involved in with the kids will make anyplace home.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:50 AM

I think the figures we have to work from are approximatley 180k dollars a year ( however maybe more if offered a better job). What priced house could i get. Do mortages work the same as England? Im deffinatly going to consider cities like boston and saint louis, but it would help if you told me where about these cities are in america as my knowledge is lacking.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:59 AM

572 posts, read 1,996,725 times
You're planning on a salary of 180k a year? With that salary you could easily live most anywhere.

Saint Louis will be much more affordable than Boston.
St. Louis is in the midwest while Boston is in the northeast.
Weather is about the same.

Do some internet research.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 AM

Thank you, you seem very clued up. How about the snow will i get my white christmas?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,566,683 times
OK, The old rule of thumb is three times your salary. Now, few could afford a home if that was a law, but you will be pretty financially secure with a 500,000 - 600,000 house, IMO. Saint Louis is an amazing city, but it has seen its better days. If you were on a tighter budget, I would def. recommend it. Chicago is America's second city. Parts are quieter, parts are cosmopolitan. An amazing city with amazing amenitits. Winters are cold, but you get your snow. The north side of Chicago and the northern suburbs are more prestigious, the Southside is more blue-collar/diverse. The latter has some problems with crime. Overall, the city is pretty safe. For its size, Chicago isn't as expensive and would be a wonderful choice, IMO. San Francisco is the city on the bay, and the senery is lovely. The actual city is vibrant, educated, very liberal, very "West Coast". Safer than Chicago. It is quite expensive, you would break your housing rule and you wouldn't get snow. I found it to be pretty dirty, but it is one of America's most unique cities. Other cities I would look into would be Boston, Philadelphia, Denver, Washington DC, Minneapolis. There are forums for all these cities that you can read up on, and ask quyestions. Hope you find what you are looking for
---Minnehahapolitan

Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 AM

Excellent information minnehahapolitan, Its nice to hear from people who are proud of their country. My dream is Chicago really and it will always be my first choice. You say 3x my salary. So at the most how much will i be able to borrow for my house. At a max (use 150k) as the salary. That way I know i will deffenitly be earning more so thats a safe bet rather than guessing at a figure to large. If I was looking to be working in an office in a highly proffesional job what part of Chicago would I have to look at buying a house in. Then take into account my two little girls ages 3 and 5. I want christmas to be special so a big mall nearby would be a bonus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.