Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times

Advertisements

For me, the West is the most American region. Unlike the South, its inhabitants never fired on troops rallying behind the US flag. Unlike the Midwest it doesn't struggle with self-esteem issues (not very American). And unlike the Northeast, its inhabitants don't scorn Americans from other regions. Westerners are cool with pretty much everyone. Additionally, the West embodies the American pioneer spirit that drove Europeans to come to this land and found a nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont 22 View Post
They're building a Target downtown? What a shame. Even more a shame people are happy about it, whatever happened to Portland being "weird"?

I hope downtown Portland isn't on its way to becoming a cultural desert like say, downtown Columbus Ohio. I remember I had to spend the night in Columbus on the way back to Portland and was forced to get dinner at CVS pharmacy (junk food) because everything closed at 5:30 in the city center. The horror.

Someone mentioned there is a Walmart right within Portland. While that's technically true, I think it's a little misleading, it's on SE 82nd, almost in Clackamas, I mean it's really nowhere near the heart of the city. It's pretty much in the suburbs. There's only about 7 Walmarts in the Portland metro which is not that many when you consider the density of WalMart in most other parts of the country. Of course Freddies isn't that much better.

Oh, come on, the WalMart is on 82nd but it's also right off Holgate. That is not even close to Clackamas. And downtown Portland which used to be a sea of individually owned local stores now has many nationally owned businesses. So what? So does every middle to large size city downtown.

And how could you not know about the Target if you live here? If you read a newspaper, watch TV news, or even listen to people talking on the street, it's been a subject of conversation for the past few years at least. How much do you know about this city to begin with?

And Freddie's is a Portland institution. It is beloved by most even though it was taken over by Kroger in the 90's. Why do you think Kroger's wisely kept the Fred's brand? Contrast this with Macy's that stupidly ran roughshod over Meir & Frank and earned the severe disliked of all Portlanders.

"Whatever happened to Portland being weird" you ask?

"Keep Portland Weird" is a slogan that began in Austin Texas but may or may not have taken it from someplace else. I don't know. Belmont Av after which you appear to be naming yourself looks nothing now as it did 10-20 years ago when Portland did have some weirdness in this and many other neigborhoods.

Look, to me, what used to make Portland unique or "weird" as people like to say, is forever gone. It is still a nice city with lots to see, do and experience. Definitely worth a trip for anyone looking to have fun and see some beautiful scenery and eat great food.

But to answer your original question is the American ambience weaker here since it is in the West in my opinion no it is not. But no offense, from what I am reading of your knowledge of Portland, the city in which you live, I don't believe your knowledge is all that great. I don't think your knowlege of the West in general may be all that great either.

But many people here really know what they are talking about and can be learned from.

I came back a bit later to add that I am wondering why you think it a shame that people are happy about a Target being added to downtown. Portland has always for the most part had a Fred's or a Newberry's or something along those lines in the downtown area. During a slump, these went away and were missed. Rite Aide just wasn't enough. I think that is why people are happy about the Target. These stores in the downtown area have served a purpose and that is probably why people are happy to see the Target going in.

So, I don't know what the tie-in with being "wierd" has to do with Target. Maybe some people don't care for Target but I have only heard that people are glad it's going in.

Last edited by Minervah; 02-14-2013 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Added thought

Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
I think belmont22 is Canadian. I'll tell you why. I have a blog, and I get a lot of comments from different countries, including Canada. There's something about the phrasing of things that's different. We don't typically use the term "American." Why would we...this is America. We don't (typically) try and try and try to get people to agree that a part of our country is more like Canada than the rest of the U.S. Really?

I have a hunch, based on a lot of what I've read...previous posts, etc. I think you're from Canada, belmont22. Your posts are just not typical of someone who lives here, you use the word "American" too much, and you're very much caught up in stereotypes. You can definitely call me skeptical.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I think belmont22 is Canadian. I'll tell you why. I have a blog, and I get a lot of comments from different countries, including Canada. There's something about the phrasing of things that's different. We don't typically use the term "American." Why would we...this is America. We don't (typically) try and try and try to get people to agree that a part of our country is more like Canada than the rest of the U.S. Really?

I have a hunch, based on a lot of what I've read...previous posts, etc. I think you're from Canada, belmont22. Your posts are just not typical of someone who lives here, you use the word "American" too much, and you're very much caught up in stereotypes. You can definitely call me skeptical.
That would certainly explain a lot. I can see someone having been raised in a different country having a different viewpoint of another country. Even though his present address used to be listed as Portland in his profile, it would not appear he is not very familiar with the city or has lived here for very long from some of the statements he has made.

I suspect he has not really explored Portland to any great extent or done much to learn about the city other than his neighborhood which I always wondered was the trendy area around Belmont Av.

When he posted on the Portland forum, I could have sworn he said he lived in Portland. But just now I checked his profile and it said something entirely different. His references to Portland were slightly off base. Like not knowing about the Target.

So I wonder just where he is from. For some reason, people do like to come on the Portland forum and post they are from there. I wonder if other cities have people doing this.

Oh well, back to our regularly scheduled thread regarding the American "ambiance" being weaker in the West.

Last edited by Minervah; 02-14-2013 at 11:59 PM..

Old 02-15-2013, 07:06 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
I felt that when I was living in California I was living in a different country. It was as different from Ohio and Kentucky as Ontario was....maybe more so.

You had to go through "customs" to get in (the fruit/vegtable control point on the interstate), and it said "California Republic" on the flag....but also the entire landscape, flora, climate, and even, too a lesser extent, the way the farms were laid out and the way the towns were developed.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:08 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
Another thing that makes the West more like Canada is the fact we tend to be more influenced by Asia,
YES!!!!..thinking back this was indeed true. It seemed that "back East" was remote, and Europe was "far away and long ago', and people looked more across the Pacific toward Asia.....

Old 02-15-2013, 04:02 PM

658 posts, read 1,336,229 times
We live in New Mexico outside of Albuquerque, and there is barely a trace of Americana in this state. The culture here is either Hispanic or Native American. These two cultures override everything else, the Americana you speak of doesn't exist.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:38 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
For me, the West is the most American region. Unlike the South, its inhabitants never fired on troops rallying behind the US flag. Unlike the Midwest it doesn't struggle with self-esteem issues (not very American). And unlike the Northeast, its inhabitants don't scorn Americans from other regions. Westerners are cool with pretty much everyone. Additionally, the West embodies the American pioneer spirit that drove Europeans to come to this land and found a nation.

Ha ha. Maybe because we are simply tired of the huge ungovernable behomoth the US has become. The US is the most seriously divided nation on earth. Americans all hate each other.

I welcome the coming breakup of the US into smaller nations. I don't want to share the same govt with the people of the south or west, etc. We all need to realize this sooner rather than later. It simply isn't working anymore.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:40 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
We live in New Mexico outside of Albuquerque, and there is barely a trace of Americana in this state. The culture here is either Hispanic or Native American. These two cultures override everything else, the Americana you speak of doesn't exist.

I love it. When is New Mexico going to secede and form its own nation? I hope soon.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Really? No McDonald's, Burger King, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.