Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 12:45 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times

Advertisements

I was watching a popular cooking show the other day and it was set in Arkansas. I was looking at the people trying to determine who they were most like. To me, AR seems a little southern and a little appalachian yet its location is towards the West. I was thinking WV is kind of in the same situation. Not really northern by northern standards yet seems southern-appalachian to me. Are AR and WV similar or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 12:59 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
Never been to Arkansas but WV feels kind of Midwestern/Appalachian to me. It has Midwest and Southern attributes. The people are probably very similar but the climate/geography is different in both areas. Both states are kind of rural though and neither one has a LARGE city.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:45 PM

134 posts, read 562,879 times
It depends on where in WV you are at, the northern part from Morgantown all the way to the northern panhandle including Wheeling and Weirton aren't southern at all. This part of WV has a very strong Pittsburgh influence, which I don't consider to be southern. They get Pittsburgh channels and root for Pittsburgh teams. Keep in mind the downtown Weirton, WV is 35 miles from downtown Pittsburgh and is like 20 miles from Pittsburgh's airport. Once you get past Charleston then I would agree.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Most of Arkansas is actually more like Tennessee than it is West Virginia. Memphis is the epicenter of culture, nightlife, concerts, shopping, etc for pretty much the entire eastern half of the state including Little Rock. Arkansas from Little Rock eastward definitely feels like part of the Southeastern United States.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:59 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Arkansas is blacker than West Virginia, and not quite as remote. There are some similarities between the Ozarks and the southern Appalachians, but the Mississippi Delta region in Arkansas is basically the deep South, while northern West Virginia is basically part of the interior Northeast, and not Southern at all.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:39 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Arkansas is nothing but Southern but I think a lot of people mistakenly think that's it's not very Southern because it's too far West.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I was watching a popular cooking show the other day and it was set in Arkansas. I was looking at the people trying to determine who they were most like. To me, AR seems a little southern and a little appalachian yet its location is towards the West. I was thinking WV is kind of in the same situation. Not really northern by northern standards yet seems southern-appalachian to me. Are AR and WV similar or no?
I'm not sure what kind of cooking it was to make you think of West Virginia, but here is a link to Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods filmed in West Virginia.

Top 5 Moments in West Virginia

Here is a longer video of Bizarre Foods-West Virginia

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/b...-west-virginia

There's also this video about groundhog. There is a festival called the Road Kill Cookoff in Marlinton, Pocahontas County.

From Groundhog to Gravy - YouTube

Last edited by Bobilee; 10-26-2012 at 08:33 PM..

Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I am very familiar with both states.

The Ozark region of AR feels very, very similar to the Appalachian region of WV.

However, southeast Arkansas feels about like Mississippi to me while northern WV feels like Pennsylvania or Ohio to me.

That's just my perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.