Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,431 times

Advertisements

Meh. I'll take a lake over the ocean. Having water you can actually drink is an asset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 07:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Despite the fact you can't see across them, they still feel and look more like the large lakes I'm familiar with, such as Bear Lake or Klamath Lake than they look like the ocean.
^^Funniest post in the entire thread!

Yeah, they are like Klamath Lake... just 200-330 times larger (assuming you are talking Upper Klamath Lake in OR and not Lower Klamath Lake in CA). Sorry, but they LOOK like the ocean much more than they look like either Bear or Klamath Lakes. I've lived in Maine for 20 years, been to the Pacific, Atlantic, and Gulf numerous times as well, I know what western lakes look like, and I know what the ocean looks like. Had and Aunt and Uncle that lived close to Upper Klamath Lake and have spent time on the lake myself.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
^^Funniest post in the entire thread!

Yeah, they are like Klamath Lake... just 200-330 times larger (assuming you are talking Upper Klamath Lake in OR and not Lower Klamath Lake in CA). Sorry, but they LOOK like the ocean much more than they look like either Bear or Klamath Lakes. I've lived in Maine for 20 years, been to the Pacific, Atlantic, and Gulf numerous times as well, I know what western lakes look like, and I know what the ocean looks like. Had and Aunt and Uncle that lived close to Upper Klamath Lake and have spent time on the lake myself.
Was that poster referring to Great Bear Lake in Canada? That's actually larger than two of the Great Lakes...

Old 11-01-2012, 02:33 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
And when I visited the Baltic Sea coast in Germany, it reminded me very much of the Michigan coast of Lake Michigan.
Lake by name, inland sea in reality and behavior-especially during storms.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:44 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,006 times
There is a difference from a shipbuilding perspective as "lakers" are designed differently than oceangoing vessels. The fresh water provides different characteristics in bouancy than you'd find in the salty oceans. However, sail accross Lake Superior during a November Gale and tell me how "lake-like" it is when you're fighting 30 foot swells and 40 knot winds. They certainly act like oceans. I've heard some compare the Great Lakes to the North Atlantic and the North Sea when referring to how violent the waters can become.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,063 times
We don't use the word sea typically in North America- Salton Sea being an exception. This goes for salt or fresh, large or small. Naming the Great Lakes "Seas" seems sort of foreign. DON'T DO IT! :-)

Old 11-01-2012, 03:06 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
There is a difference from a shipbuilding perspective as "lakers" are designed differently than oceangoing vessels. The fresh water provides different characteristics in bouancy than you'd find in the salty oceans. However, sail accross Lake Superior during a November Gale and tell me how "lake-like" it is when you're fighting 30 foot swells and 40 knot winds. They certainly act like oceans. I've heard some compare the Great Lakes to the North Atlantic and the North Sea when referring to how violent the waters can become.
I did not know the design difference included differences in buoyancy. I thought it was strictly due to the size of the locks used in the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:22 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Was that poster referring to Great Bear Lake in Canada? That's actually larger than two of the Great Lakes...
I didn't think of Great Bear Lake up in Canada, I assumed they were talking about one of the small Bear Lakes that are in OR like Upper Klamath lake is.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
We don't use the word sea typically in North America- Salton Sea being an exception. This goes for salt or fresh, large or small. Naming the Great Lakes "Seas" seems sort of foreign. DON'T DO IT! :-)
And recently, the Salish Sea in Washington and British Columbia as well.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I didn't think of Great Bear Lake up in Canada, I assumed they were talking about one of the small Bear Lakes that are in OR like Upper Klamath lake is.
Actually I was talking about the one on the Idaho/Utah border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.