Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 12:45 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,424 times

Advertisements

With all the shootings at schools in this country does anyone wonder why there is not better security at schools in this country. There is obviously a very out of control problem in this country, its not being addressed at all. It has come to the point its like the country is oblivious to this and its just really another news story that waits for the next shooting to start at another school. Its great for the news networks to focus on get their ratings and fill time on news programs, but it says nothing for the population of the country that is tolerating this. Its seems odd we have tons of security at airports but most of the crime and killings is in schools. Today its a school in Ohio, over the weekend it was a bunch of students killed in a house in Wisconsin. Several months ago it was the largest shooting in the countrys history at Virgina Tech, and it goes on and on. I think its time to do more than wait for the next shooting to be telecasted on CNN. Its time to have strict security at these schools and find out how these kids are getting these guns into schools or why they are so angry in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 02:43 PM

262 posts, read 300,044 times
Actually schools now adays do have pretty good security my school only has about 500 student and we have 3 full time school cops and alot of bigger school have metal detecters there doing the best they can without making the places a prison

Old 10-10-2007, 03:21 PM

104 posts, read 449,891 times
??? O_O
My school has four sheriffs. And all new schools are basically being built taking shootings into consideration.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:29 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Its seems odd we have tons of security at airports but most of the crime and killings is in schools.
Uh... I don't believe that 'most of the crime and killings' are in schools. There are thousands, if not tens of thousands of schools that house millions of kids each day. School shooting is a rare crime and is not as common as the histrionic talking heads in the media would have us believe, it is just heard about more when it happens in schools than other much more dangerous areas.

There were six people shot to death in my city last weekend, none of them at schools, it didn't make anything beyond the local news.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:46 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
It is a sad state of affairs when police officers or security guards have to be on school grounds.

One of the best solutions for this is to raise kids to respect other people and have a deep respect for human life and the only way they could be taught that is by letting them know about God's Sixth Commandment: Thou Shall Not Kill.

I graduated highschool in 1975, and the school I graduated from, and when I drive by the school, the outside of it is definitely much different today than it was 32 years ago. There's a steel bar fence around the entire campus, student locker areas have large security gates, and God knows what else has changed that I can't see from the outside.

Part of the blame should also be placed on groups like the ACLU, for taking God out of schools. I know when we were kids, we used to say the Pledge of Allegiance at the start of every school day. Try to do that nowadays, and the ACLU will probably be on your neck before the end of the school day.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
It is a sad state of affairs when police officers or security guards have to be on school grounds.

One of the best solutions for this is to raise kids to respect other people and have a deep respect for human life and the only way they could be taught that is by letting them know about God's Sixth Commandment: Thou Shall Not Kill.

I graduated highschool in 1975, and the school I graduated from, and when I drive by the school, the outside of it is definitely much different today than it was 32 years ago. There's a steel bar fence around the entire campus, student locker areas have large security gates, and God knows what else has changed that I can't see from the outside.

Part of the blame should also be placed on groups like the ACLU, for taking God out of schools. I know when we were kids, we used to say the Pledge of Allegiance at the start of every school day. Try to do that nowadays, and the ACLU will probably be on your neck before the end of the school day.
Actually, the Pledge of Allegiance is still recited every morning. And what's this about introducing religion into the classroom? No thank you. Religion is not for everyone. Especially a particular religion.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Actually, I went to school in the 80's (I started school at the end of the '70s), and I rarely recall saying the Pledge.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Actually, I went to school in the 80's (I started school at the end of the '70s), and I rarely recall saying the Pledge.
I guess it varies by state? Here in Texas, it's law to recite the pledge, the Texas pledge, and have a moment of silence every morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.