Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Tulsa's a smale scale Portland?
Yes 12 10.00%
No 108 90.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Great post defending Tulsa.

It really all comes down to Portland currently being a media darling and a favorite for young people and Tulsa only getting national attention for something negative such as a right-wing politician saying something crazy. Hipsterdom is all the rage right now and Portland is a hipster capital. I still think Portland is a superior city but Tulsa isn't as bad as people make it seem.
I agree with you. Tulsa along with most other cities wouldn't be able to compete with Portland or the PNW as being the Hipster Capital of the world. Like I said, its not perfect and its not for everyone, but it's a good town. And We are not alone as far as politicians saying something crazy, you only have to look at what was said during this years election.

I just wanted to respond to some of the negative remarks that were made about Tulsa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Not being a "hipster" enclave isn't the only thing that makes Tulsa unlike Portland. The terrain, the climate, the proximity to the beauty of the northwest and its recreational opportunities are much more important distinctions, IMO.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Not being a "hipster" enclave isn't the only thing that makes Tulsa unlike Portland. The terrain, the climate, the proximity to the beauty of the northwest and its recreational opportunities are much more important distinctions, IMO.
Virtually nowhere can be compared with the Pacific NW in terms of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, and urbanism all in one location. Tulsa has the Ozark mountains which offer recreational opportunities though nowhere near on the scale of the PNW. The cities themselves however are differentiated based on their dominant culture. In Portland it is young, trendy, and hipster and in Tulsa it is more working-class, family oriented. I am sure you can find cookie cutter suburbia in Portland just as much as you can find hipster enclaves in Tulsa, but the dominant culture of these two cities is complete opposite. The central US equivalent of Portland is Austin.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
Tulsa is a larger scale Springfield, MO.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
I'm going to have to give this one a resounding No....

Old 12-03-2012, 12:46 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Tulsa is a larger scale Springfield, MO.
No I would say that Wichita Kansas is a larger scale of Springfield Missouri..I like springfield MO and when you add in Brannson MO it's a attractive little city.....BUT Where's The World Class Attractions...?....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield,_Missouri

http://search.comcast.net/?q=springf...0MO&cat=images

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branson,_Missouri

http://search.comcast.net/?q=branson%20mo&cat=images

Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I'm going to have to give this one a resounding No....
I agree with you the similarities of the two cities and Metro's are totally Superficial

Old 12-03-2012, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,222 times
Portland is overhyped, but let's be honest, Tulsa is a nice small-medium sized city, but so is Spokane, Washington or Pensacola, Florida. There's really not much there.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Spokane Washington
Spokane, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pensacola Florida
Pensacola, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really....think about it

Tulsa Oklahoma
Tulsa, Oklahoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's get serious View Post
Portland is overhyped, but let's be honest, Tulsa is a nice small-medium sized city, but so is Spokane, Washington or Pensacola, Florida. There's really not much there.
Portland may be overhyped, but Tulsa is very underrated. It's no Portland but its well above Springfield, MO and Pensacola, FL. Do you realize Tulsa has a population of nearly 400,000 and a metro of nearly 1 million? The other cities you guys are comparing it to are less than half that size, Spokane, Pensacola, and Springfield being only approx 400k for the entire metro. Personally I would live in Pensacola over Tulsa ONLY because of the beach. I would live in Tulsa any day over Springfield or Spokane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.