Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:34 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Northeast: New York
South: Georgia
Midwest: Iowa
West: Nevada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Maybe you are right as the region. I think I was thinking more the NE corrider of which to me it would be (meaning NJ) would also be basically the geographic center and heart of the region IMHO

Also NJ from a topography standpoint may better be the mircrocosm with beaches, cities, and mountains moreso than CT

CT at its north takes on too much New England feel and lack the lower Mid Atlantic feel.

Maybe though in thinking of the region there isnt a perfect match but both NJ and CT would have their flaws To that extent for the whole region NY state (or a PA though lacks beaches) would encomapass more with the rural mountainous regions etc.
I actually agree with NY being the best representative for the Northeast. PA would be another great choice but beaches are a pretty big part of NE identity and NY has quite alot of beachfront property.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:45 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I didn't know the south was poor.

Only the ignorant think that. And there are a few on these threads.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:43 AM

678 posts, read 410,346 times
Midwest: Iowa (same reasons the OP laid out)

South: Georgia (Humid climate, mix of both deep-south and coastal southern culture, high African American population, fast-growing Hispanic population, hot-spot for college football, contains a few tropical beaches on the coast and has a bit of a Caribbean culture, contains a bit of swampland within the state, famous for southern cuisine, Bible Belt, deep-red conservative state with a liberal enclave in Atlanta)

New England: Maine (Lobsters, lighthouses, British-influenced architecture, non-rhotic accents)

North: Montana (mix of plains-filled north-central and pine-forested northwest)

West: Oregon (mild climate near the coast with a more frigid climate inland, over 13% Hispanic, above average Mormon population, above average suicide rate, low population density, most of the state geographically is rural, conservative, and wild-western, yet most of the people live in the highly liberal Portland metro area, high influx of Californians, has a large "granola" (hiking-biking) culture with lots of popular hiking and camping areas, legal recreational marijuana, and has a popular NBA team

Old 01-31-2022, 04:02 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Maybe you are right as the region. I think I was thinking more the NE corrider of which to me it would be (meaning NJ) would also be basically the geographic center and heart of the region IMHO

Also NJ from a topography standpoint may better be the mircrocosm with beaches, cities, and mountains moreso than CT

CT at its north takes on too much New England feel and lack the lower Mid Atlantic feel.

Maybe though in thinking of the region there isnt a perfect match but both NJ and CT would have their flaws To that extent for the whole region NY state (or a PA though lacks beaches) would encomapass more with the rural mountainous regions etc.
Maine alone is larger than MD, DE and NJ combined NJ is nowhere near rural enough. NYS is the only good answer.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:29 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
I'm interpreting "epitome" not as "most representative member" but "most different from the nation as a whole in the ways that the region is different from the nation as a whole".

West: Montana (mountains, remote, no big cities, large Native population)

Northeast: Rhode Island (small, densely populated, old architecture, lots of immigrants continuing through the present)

Midwest: Michigan (industrial, centered around the Great Lakes, lots of ethnic whites, swung for Trump and then away from him)

South: Mississippi (poor, large black population, hot and muggy, delta blues)

Old 01-31-2022, 04:36 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'm interpreting "epitome" not as "most representative member" but "most different from the nation as a whole in the ways that the region is different from the nation as a whole".
I’m not sure why you are interpreting the word “epitome” when it has a definition and it’s closer to your first answer.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:21 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Iowa is definitely the quintessential Midwestern state. Every other Midwestern state has some significant portion that doesn't match the regional stereotypes, but Iowa is completely unrelated to any other part of the country. It lacks the industrialization of the East, the woods and lakes of the North, the aridness of the West, a very different culture and geography than the south.

It's mostly flat to rolling prairie that was converted into farmland. It's economy is dominated by agriculture. It's cities are smaller and weren't really a part of the manufacturing and industrial core of the Rust Belt. The accents are extremely easy to understand. The culture is very moderate. It's a well kept, slowly growing state that's neither a flashy center of anything, nor a decrepit, declining struggling place.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:24 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

West: Montana (mountains, remote, no big cities, large Native population)

Northeast: Rhode Island (small, densely populated, old architecture, lots of immigrants continuing through the present)

Midwest: Michigan (industrial, centered around the Great Lakes, lots of ethnic whites, swung for Trump and then away from him)

South: Mississippi (poor, large black population, hot and muggy, delta blues)
I like this one the best

Old 01-31-2022, 10:03 AM

60 posts, read 57,952 times
Midwest: Iowa or Indiana
South: South Carolina
West: Nevada
Northeast: Connecticut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.