Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 AM

372 posts, read 465,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Interesting you interpret that as a bash when there was nothing at all negative said about Cleveland.

You're welcome to take your town's offerings over mine (and for the record, I'm not a Pittsburgh native and worked for a Cleveland company for several years).

But since you asked:
- more VC investment than Cleveland
- more technology businesses and patents than Cleveland
- more of those precious third-wave coffeehouses Portland and Seattle are famous for
- soon to be home of the official 'badge' of hipsterdom, an Ace Hotel (the sixth in US and only one not on a coast - others in Seattle, Portland, Palm Springs, NYC and LA)

Not to mention it's getting younger and population growth is now on the upswing for past two years after decades of continuous decline.
If you're first post was not a bash, thank you for confirming it in this post. I am glad that I have your approval to take Cleveland's offerings over Pittsburgh's.

But since you mention it:

-Cleveland has experienced more job growth in the last 6 months than Pittsburgh and has a lower unemployment rate
-I will take Cleveland's park system over Pittsburgh's anyday (the Metroparks and the national park here in Cleveland)
-A much better food scene
-Cleaner downtown
-Better cultural icons in the Cleveland Orchestra and the Cleveland Museum of Art
-A hub for bio tech start-ups
-World-renowned medical institutions (I love the UPMC commerical that plays in the Youngstown area that talks about how UPMC is ranked 10th in the nation for best hospitals and it zooms in on the region, but right up the road... the Cleveland Clinic ranks 4th)

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...hospitals.html

And for the record, once again, Pittsburgh has very little in common with Portland and Seattle (no matter how many coffee houses they have in the city limits) versus its very position in the country you try to fight. You're rust belt, you hold rust belt characteristics. The Mon Valley and areas surrounding Pittsburgh (Munhall, Ambridge, the Beaver Valley, Aliquippa, Clariton) are some of the most depressing places I have seen that are perfect examples of rust belt. Pittsburgh has city neighorhoods that take on characteristics of the surrounding depressed suburbs.

So while Pittsburgh can pride itself on its changes in its economy, Cleveland is right there nipping at your heels. Both cities are completely different in how they have developed over time, so comparing the two is assanine in my opinion. But for as far as Pittsburgh wants to claim it is, Cleveland a completely different city, has got a lot to be proud of right now and I know people in Pittsburgh are watching. Paying attention and comparing themselves to Cleveland like they always do. Your first post is a good representation of that. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
I'll nominate Orlando.

People assume all we do is go to the theme parks. Well I know several people here who cant stand the tourist district (I love it). Even then it's not all we do. We have real jobs, real homes, and real communities here like any other American city.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM

266 posts, read 402,634 times
I grew up in Miami. People assume all everyone does in Miami is party and...

ah screw it, all they really do is party.

I will put NY out there for its reputation of being a dangerous city when it is actually very safe. Crime rate, especially homicide, is significantly decreasing as well.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
The stereotype of people with southern drawls in New Orleans is false. The yatspeak there sounds like someone from Brooklyn...

Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
So while Pittsburgh can pride itself on its changes in its economy, Cleveland is right there nipping at your heels. Both cities are completely different in how they have developed over time, so comparing the two is assanine in my opinion. But for as far as Pittsburgh wants to claim it is, Cleveland a completely different city, has got a lot to be proud of right now and I know people in Pittsburgh are watching. Paying attention and comparing themselves to Cleveland like they always do. Your first post is a good representation of that. Thank you.
Whatever. I'm not sure why you think a city ranked 13th in economic strength would compare itself to one ranked 169th.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times
Minneapolis comes to my mind. The Minnesota nice is fake. There is actually an icy feeling between people. Minneapolis people arn't right out front with you and you never really know where you stand with them.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Minneapolis comes to my mind. The Minnesota nice is fake. There is actually an icy feeling between people. Minneapolis people arn't right out front with you and you never really know where you stand with them.
That's common knowledge actually, but there's also some truth to "Minnesota Nice" -- it's "nice" in that people wouldn't speak badly about you or bring you down in front of your face (and I realize some people prefer it that way). As somebody who's lived in 5 different large metros, I can say I prefer "Minnesota Nice" over the other more "real", surly, angry people out there who love to bring you down. I miss the niceness......even if it's a front.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 PM

I noticed Pittsburgh is also ahead of San Francisco, Chicago, NYC, LA, Boston, Dallas, etc. etc. etc.....do you think it's stronger than those cities too?

Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I noticed Pittsburgh is also ahead of San Francisco, Chicago, NYC, LA, Boston, Dallas, etc. etc. etc.....do you think it's stronger than those cities too?
The report is not about current economic output, it's looking at highest potential for economic and job growth as a percentage of where the city is currently at.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The report is not about current economic output, it's looking at highest potential for economic and job growth as a percentage of where the city is currently at.
I read the parameters, but still......I wouldn't peg Pittsburgh ahead of the other cities listed in regards to economic prosperity moving forward, but that's not to say I don't think or understand that Pittsburgh is reviving and doing very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.