Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:11 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,646 times

Advertisements

I prefer trees and wildlife to people and concrete any day, so small towns for me. Small doesn't necessarily mean stagnant though. A small artsy craftsy town within an hour or two of a city would be about perfect for me, which is why I'm looking up in the Puget Sound area for my next move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 06:34 AM

348 posts, read 1,021,182 times
Small town hands down. I can't understand anyone wanting to live in a big city..that would be a nightmare to me!
I love a small town, lots of open land, you know everyone, you feel welcome everywhere you go, your kids are less likely to get in trouble because they will be seen and caught and brought to justice, lol, less crime...For me, I love everything about a small town. I do like to live near (at least within a half hour) of a bigger "city" that has everything, but not that close to a large city (like Atlanta)...we're an hour outside of Atlanta and still too close imo. I have no desire or need to ever venture in to Atlanta, although we do occassionally.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:32 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCat View Post
Small doesn't necessarily mean stagnant though. A small artsy craftsy town within an hour or two of a city would be about perfect for me.
Unfortunately in the South, these types of towns are rare. Most small towns here are extremely conservative places filled with old-timers set in their ways. The only possible exceptions I can think of in the state of Arkansas are Eureka Springs, AR, and Hot Springs, AR. Both of which are tourist destinations and quite charming places.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:26 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,258 times
I grew up in Chicago and my husband and I moved to small town WI when we were in our early 30s. I love it. We feel very safe and here and love the friendly people. We still go to Chicago every month and I don't miss the traffic, noise and the crowds. Give me the peace and quiet and easy commutes any time.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:38 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
I prefer smaller towns as long as I can find a job in my career field area! I like smaller towns but usually have to live in a medium sized city or larger to find good paying jobs. Big cities are definitely not for me because I tend to get over-stimulated quite easily.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:13 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Unfortunately in the South, these types of towns are rare. Most small towns here are extremely conservative places filled with old-timers set in their ways. The only possible exceptions I can think of in the state of Arkansas are Eureka Springs, AR, and Hot Springs, AR. Both of which are tourist destinations and quite charming places.
It's funny you mention both of those towns. Everytime I take the quiz at Find Your Spot, even though I specifically ask for only locations in the Pacific Northwest, they keep listing Eureka Springs and Hot Springs, AR as good matches for me.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 15,357 times
My husband and I moved to Columbia TN from Washington DC. Columbia is 45 minutes south of Nashville, so culture is within reach. We looked in East Nashville and decided the prices had gone too high for what you got. We live in a 1905 gorgeous American Four-Square (3200 sq ft) on a cute historic street near the town square. The price was half of what the same house in East Nashville would command. I do miss my Starbucks, but I love the older rural folks I've met, the beautiful countryside, and the antics of local small-town government.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:21 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
I love the city and small town

I like mid-size cities compared to larger cities

I do miss my old town in eastern new mexico-the flat land,the countryside,the dirt roads and the small town feel.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:01 AM

98 posts, read 589,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Us more seasoned ( old ) folks, might find your statement shocking Ie; " I don't have a fixation for big box stores , its just all I have ever been around"
Shame on us ( me ), It never crossed my mind, that out there is a whole generation of people dependent on Walmart. I never really thought about it before, but , I guess it could be. A sad thought , and , I am sorry , you do what you have to do, to survive............its not your fault , its Walmart. They have driven out all the locally owned places, the empty stores and lots , weeds growing thru the cracks in the concrete , tell tale that they are gone and will be no more. This is happening all over America. Its not good when one large retailer takes over , as they have done ( Walmart , the worlds largest retail store chain ), no its not a good thing when , slowly , but surely , they raze their prices , they set prices, they soon issue there own money, provide all the jobs in a small rural area, and , become the " company store" , just like in the old days, and the coal mining towns , the captive clients, as in the city " neighborhoods" .......... no its not a good thing. I wonder if this is what Sam Walton had in mind ?.......maybe so.
Amen, darstar. I never gave that any thought either. I find that really sad. I personally don't like Walmart and they do start moving those low prices up at a slow but steady rate. I sometimes find the same items at Target or Walgreens cheaper. They just have everyone convinced that they have the lowest prices. And in some areas they have driven out so many stores so they are the only place to shop.
They also drive me nuts with the way they cut down on the variety of brands they keep cutting it down. The have cut the frozen treats, Sare Lee, etc to one small area and increased frozen pizza to the entire length of the frozen aisle. Or you buy something then they quit carrying it. Sigh. Where I live there is only Walmart and a much further drive for Meijers or Krogers.
I don't think what's happened with Walmart is what Sam had in mind. It was a very different operation and store when he was alive.
Your company store comparison is right on.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.