Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:29 PM

144 posts, read 552,280 times

Advertisements

I have spent my life equally split between Kansas City (every summer in Denver)/and a tiny farming town of 2000 in SW MO. I am pretty much a city girl at heart and if you had asked me 10 years ago, I would have told you I would never live in a small town once I graduated high school. But you know, life is funny. My husband and I go back to visit that tiny town (where he was BORN and raised, with about 6 generations of his family), and I love that little town. Who knew. We are only 25 so we haven't been gone that long.

My husband joked that he might get transferred to a town about 15 miles from our hometown, thinking I would have a heart attack, and I actually didn't care. It's nice to be in a town where everybody knows you, and looks out for you. I never would have thought I would even consider it. We were there last weekend (for a HS football games nonetheless-cheering on some family) and it was just very peaceful.

Then again, I also love the traffic, chaos, noise, entertainment options, loft apartments with concrete floors, etc that you find in a large city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 10:29 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,184 times
I live in a mid-sized city right now(500,000 +population) but I want a smaller town sometime in the near future- maybe a town from 20,000-50,000.

but if I do end up moving to a city it will more than likely be a small one- 100,000-200,000 people

but I wouldnt mind a descent paying job in a small town in TX where the locals go and eat at McDonalds every morning everyday.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:24 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,110 times
BIG CITY!
ive lived in chicago my since i was born,
if i move which i will soon it will be either another part of Chicago, Or NYC i think city has alot of entertainment but with that comes polution, crime overcrowding
sometimes everyone and their mother just has to be on the bus or train doing the same thing going to north ave beach, free day at shed aquarium fireworks on july 3rd
taste of chicago, all that but hey i wouldnt trade it for the world

Old 09-19-2008, 09:07 PM

175 posts, read 439,102 times
For the question of small town- it usually means where where and where!

Also, Don't take people's opinions too seriously. Some people do great in small towns and really love and others don't.

Just because what someone says about a small doesn't mean the same things in general will apply to you. It may be the best move for you.

Unfortunately, as a young adult, it wasn't for me.

I love small towns- the atmosphere and beauty. However, that's about it in the one I'm living in.
I think the majority of small towns have good caring people.

A smaller college town might suit the young adults like me. But other than that, some small towns can be just a negative. Probably because the lack of things to do. OUr nearest non-super walmart is almost an hour a way.

Like the one i'm in- Everyone tends to be a little on the down side- not extremely mean or rude- just a ongoing mild depression. probably because we are isolated up in the mountains out west .

I think a lot of high elevation rocky mountain towns were really made for vacation or part time living- not full time living unless you have many and I mean a lot of family owned business, farming, or your really good with the people in the higher level position at the resort. Or if you own your own business and are good with meeting friends.

I want small towns to do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.