Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 PM

152 posts, read 878,165 times

Advertisements

I was curious if any states have any similarities with the New England states. This could be cultural, economic, social, geographic, political, etc.

I am thinking perhaps the Pacific Northwest (Washington and Oregon.) What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 01:29 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,265 times
Probably New York, considering it's the only state that touches New England. It has the same history, geography, vibe (upstate), etc.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:59 PM

152 posts, read 878,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Probably New York, considering it's the only state that touches New England. It has the same history, geography, vibe (upstate), etc.
I was thinking of areas that are perhaps a little farther away. I do agree with you though. I realize no place will have the same history as New England.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:14 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,875,988 times
Upstate NY and parts of PA would be the closest. There really aren't any other places that resemble New England; it's a very unique place. In a good way.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:44 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,065 times

I am thinking perhaps the Pacific Northwest (Washington and Oregon.) What do you think?[/quote]

Those two areas would be my choice areas - New England and Pacific NW; however, I don't think they resemble each except for the lush foliage.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:55 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
My part of NJ is reminiscent of New England - topology, wealth, weather, education.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:06 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,594,835 times
I took a road trip from the interior of Maine to the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. To me it was all so similar, I never knew when I was leaving one state and entering another one. There are places along the Chesapeake Bay that are almost identical to the shorefront of Maine, etc. And the towns in the mountains along the way were all very similar.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM

151 posts, read 739,599 times
The northern parts of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota will give a New England feeling.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:51 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
I was thinking of areas that are perhaps a little farther away. I do agree with you though. I realize no place will have the same history as New England.
Who cares? New England doesn't have much of a fantastic history until you get to the Revolution anyways. To be sure, much of the history of the upper east coast is nothing anyone should find pride in.

With that in mind, who cares? New England's just peas and beans compared to South America. The ironic thing is that so many here and on message boards like these try to play this "Oh diversity is wonderful, diversity this, diversity that" card at every opportunity, and yet New England's small towns are the most whitebread areas with the most whitebread culture born from the single most whitebread, cultureless and Protestant-based history anywhere in this nation.

Aside from that? They're small towns. I hardly see what makes them special and god knows I've been to thousands. Nowhere else is anything reeking of WASPy goodness treated with such reverence than these small towns in New England.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:52 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times
There's a question floating around the CT forum about which town is most like Stars Hollow (the quirky mythical town from Gilmore Girls). I know of a few towns like that that are no where near New England. Dahlonega, GA for example. The people, the stores, and the general "feel" are the same... the only thing missing is that the central town square doesn't have a gazebo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.