Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the westernmost city in the Southeastern United States?
Little Rock, Arkansas 15 14.85%
Tulsa, Oklahoma 7 6.93%
Dallas, Texas 24 23.76%
Houston, Texas 18 17.82%
San Antonio, Texas 15 14.85%
El Paso, Texas 13 12.87%
Other (Explain!) 9 8.91%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:10 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

When it comes to what the Southeast is, people need to realize that we're essentially working with one of two definitions:

1. The South that is east of the Mississippi. Pretty cut-and-dry. This definition includes the east bank of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Memphis, Nashville, Jackson, Birmingham, Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Miami

2. The southeastern quadrant of the US. This is the definition that I feel to be the most culturally relevant and applicable, with only a few exceptions, though it's also the most controversial. The things that tie this region together would be the damp, subtropical weather, pine forests that swallow up much of the region, and a list of other characteristics commonly associated with the South. Houston, Little Rock, Shreveport, and the west bank of New Orleans would be the cities absent from the first definition, but are included in this one.

Most of Texas and Oklahoma do not seem to fit in any logical definition of the Southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:34 PM

96 posts, read 133,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Keep going east, because even Houston is South Central Southern.
Well I can't argue with that! Come to think of it Texas is not really part of the southeast. It's just that East Texas seems to have more in common with southern LA, MS, AL, GA, and northern FL which can be confusing to many people including myself because even the dialect in those areas sound the same (except New Orleans and the Gullah dialect in the low country parts of GA and SC coast) they drop the r in their words plus they are all part of the deep south.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
When it comes to what the Southeast is, people need to realize that we're essentially working with one of two definitions:

1. The South that is east of the Mississippi. Pretty cut-and-dry. This definition includes the east bank of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Memphis, Nashville, Jackson, Birmingham, Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Miami

2. The southeastern quadrant of the US. This is the definition that I feel to be the most culturally relevant and applicable, with only a few exceptions, though it's also the most controversial. The things that tie this region together would be the damp, subtropical weather, pine forests that swallow up much of the region, and a list of other characteristics commonly associated with the South. Houston, Little Rock, Shreveport, and the west bank of New Orleans would be the cities absent from the first definition, but are included in this one.

Most of Texas and Oklahoma do not seem to fit in any logical definition of the Southeast.
I tend to utilize the first definition when I think of the Southeast. It's a purely geographical designation for me.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:58 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
=Mutiny77;33670639]I tend to utilize the first definition when I think of the Southeast. It's a purely geographical designation for me.
Well said, Mutiny! Divide the country into four quadrants? Yes, and roughly half of Texas would be in both the southeast and the southwest! But historically and culturally speaking? Then it becomes a whole different consideration....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.