Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,382,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
As defined by the United States Census Bureau,[1] the Southern region of the United States includes sixteen states. As of 2010, an estimated 114,555,744 people, or thirty-seven percent of all U.S. residents, lived in the South, the nation's most populous region.[20] The Census Bureau defined three smaller units, or divisions:
Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think this makes the most sense .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,437,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
As defined by the United States Census Bureau,[1] the Southern region of the United States includes sixteen states. As of 2010, an estimated 114,555,744 people, or thirty-seven percent of all U.S. residents, lived in the South, the nation's most populous region.[20] The Census Bureau defined three smaller units, or divisions:
Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think this makes the most sense .
Sans Delaware/Maryland, these subregions of the South are by far the most accurate in grouping the geographical and cultural affinity within the larger region of the South.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM

581 posts, read 961,871 times
Oh good lord...

First, Delaware is essentially northern. Its northern half is more culturally aligned with SE PA and NJ than with MD, and to be quite honest no one cares about Lower Slower Delaware - which also tends not to consider itself southern for the most part.

Maryland without a doubt has the most in common with Virginia.
Whether or not that places it in the South I don't even care anymore.

How I generally see these things:

The South Atlantic States: Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina.
The East South Central States: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee.
The West South Central States: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas.
Mid-Atlantic States: Maryland, Virginia, Delaware¹, West Virginia².

¹Delaware is arguably more like PA or NJ than MD.
²WV fits in due to to Southwestern VA and Western MD being very similar to most of WV. However, it does not share the Chesapeake/Delmarva culture.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 PM

799 posts, read 1,418,808 times
Tezcatlipoca thats probably the best description of the south I think that I have ever seen on CD.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,382,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Sans Delaware/Maryland, these subregions of the South are by far the most accurate in grouping the geographical and cultural affinity within the larger region of the South.
Sans limited common intelligence of some; Delaware for the most part and Most Definitely the State of Maryland are part of the South despite the arrogance of a few with discriminating attitudes towards the state.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
OMG. The eternal debate about Delaware and Maryland.

I was born and bred in the South - Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Texas. I've also lived in Maryland (twice, actually) and though I love the state and think it's beautiful, it didn't feel at all like the American South to me. Living in Maryland, I also visited Delaware, which definitely felt like the American Northeast to me.

Maryland and Delaware may be geographically in the southern quadrant of the US, but that's the only thing southern about them.

Great states, though - and I don't regret a moment I've spent in either of them. I was always glad, though, to get "home" to Dixie! Love me some Dixieland!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,160,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Sans limited common intelligence of some; Delaware for the most part and Most Definitely the State of Maryland are part of the South despite the arrogance of a few with discriminating attitudes towards the state.
What in the hell is your deal, kid? You have the audacity to insult everyones intelligence for making statements that clearly is majority opinion. You have no evidence to support your pissy, child like assertions that Maryland is southern...you just make these statements randomly. I'm going to go ahead and give you a piece of advice.....No one takes you or your arguments seriously. You make contradictory statements riddled with argumentative fallacies to support your stupid assertion that Maryland is "dixie." It isn't.

Further....have you ever considered that maybe you are the one that is wrong...or at least ignorant of the truth in this regard? I'm to the point now that I just think you've never been to the South and Maryland is the most southern place (geographically) you've set foot. You at one point mentioned that you live in Canada...so I think my guess is probably accurate.

Regardless of how you want to spin this....you beloved Maryland is a beautiful state with a lot of great ammenties...but it isn't a Southern. It isn't southern historically, and it sure as hell isn't southern culturally.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM

97 posts, read 201,480 times
Florida is a culture of its' own and the Northernmost point in Delaware is geographically only about 7 miles south of Seaside Heights, New Jersey, where "Jersey Shore" was filmed.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,511,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybie Alyssa View Post
Florida is a culture of its' own and the Northernmost point in Delaware is geographically only about 7 miles south of Seaside Heights, New Jersey, where "Jersey Shore" was filmed.
We are not "Southerners"!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
We are not "Southerners"!
Yes you are. I can barely give you Miami. But now you want to say all of Florida isn't Southern? That's false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.