Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
All you have to do is look at what some of us wear, for example a Minnesotan wearing a Twins cap with a Gophers sweatshirt even though the Gophers arent playing today and its not even baseball season, lol
Its like damn, we get it your from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, Whatever.... all you have to do is wear a baseball cap and some normal clothes on. I never see people on either coast like this.
Oh yeah, one never sees anyone from the Boston or NYC areas wearing Red Sox, Yankees, Giants, Patriots, Celtics, Knicks, Rangers or Bruins athletic gear every moment possible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
I believe the hometowns and the media do that everywhere. Just a little local pride showing. Congrats to this person who made it to the top.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 PM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I make up for the media deficit by listening to a prairie home companion and prince. and husker du and the replacements.

Maybe Minnesota should sponsor some public regional tv shows and see if they can get syndicated elsewhere.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
I thought I looked cute in my Kansas sweater...

Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its like damn, we get it your from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, Whatever.... all you have to do is wear a baseball cap and some normal clothes on. I never see people on either coast like this.

Well had to get that off my chest, i hope im not the only one who notices these things.
Yeah, because when I'm in LA I never see guys wearing Lakers jerseys in the middle of the summer.

I'd rather see people walking around with civic pride by represting the local college or pro team, than some d-bag in a sweatshirt with "HOLLISTER" across the front (or insert any crap pile of junk brand)

Old 11-22-2012, 06:50 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
IMO People from sparsely populated areas have a tendencies to get excited about "one of their own" due to the fact that there is a possibility that they may have a personal connection with that person.

"My sisters next door neighbor is her daughters teacher"

Old 11-22-2012, 07:09 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
IMO People from sparsely populated areas have a tendencies to get excited about "one of their own" due to the fact that there is a possibility that they may have a personal connection with that person.

"My sisters next door neighbor is her daughters teacher"
Your observation is probably correct, but it has nothing to do with the midwest only. There are plenty of sparsely populated areas that aren't in the midwest...eastern OR/WA, parts of CA away from the coast, a huge chunk of TX, western MA or NH, VT, ME, etc. The midwest doesn't have the market cornered in "rural"...

Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Your observation is probably correct, but it has nothing to do with the midwest only. There are plenty of sparsely populated areas that aren't in the midwest...eastern OR/WA, parts of CA away from the coast, a huge chunk of TX, western MA or NH, VT, ME, etc. The midwest doesn't have the market cornered in "rural"...
In anthropology they have a term called "Cultural Universals' meaning people who differ geographically and chronologically can share similar cultural practices and norms.
IMO there are also "Regional Universals" things that people share from different regions of the US

..But if you have ever lived in a small town anywhere you can understand why good reporters learn that they have to "make up news" in order to fill the time slot or news paper. There's not enough two headed calfs being born anymore.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
In Albuquerque, people are elated about our public profile being raised by Breaking Bad, a show that depicts our city as a meth infested viper's den.

It is a good show, though.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:58 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
This is silly. I know countless people from NYC that get excited when somebody that grew up in their borough gets famous or is mentioned on TV. It's not just a small town thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.