Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:10 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Do people really think that Yuppies and Hipsters are the same thing or similar? Lol.

I would think people would be more concerned with murderes and child molestors instead of complaining about yuppies.
I agree..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
How is it any different from cities and neighborhoods that have been ruined by Section 8 and low income families moving into what was previously nice and well-established? Put on the big boy/big girl pants and get over it.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
What everyone is talking about here is the lack of a solid middle class post suburbanization. What's left of the middle class is mostly in suburbia, and so few city neighborhoods have a good mix of incomes. Prices skyrocket because there aren't a lot of good, safe urban areas, so as cities regain population, it comes with higher prices due to reinvestment.

I understand why yuppification (is that a word) sucks, because I recently took a trip to DC and spent some time in Dupont Circle. However, not all yuppies are the same; some are respectful and just want a good safe place to live; others are rude and self-focused. I'm not sure what the solution is, except to see an increase in denser urban areas and more blue color jobs accessible to more people. It's a terribly polarizing situation.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:00 PM

432 posts, read 610,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
How is it any different from cities and neighborhoods that have been ruined by Section 8 and low income families moving into what was previously nice and well-established? Put on the big boy/big girl pants and get over it.
That happens? Ahahaha

Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Are there any cities who's overall character/vibe/personality, or nightlife atmosphere, etc. have been ruined by an influx of too many yuppies/snobby hipster types?

I've heard this suggested about both New York City and Washington DC.
Austin and Dallas, for sure.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:54 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
they seem about as prejudice as their political opposites, so i
don't see the progress of it all, except for their exclusive
group. isn't that how it has always been short of a few decades?
enough time for that day and age to fade into recent memory
or absense thereof?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Austin and Dallas, for sure.
Haven't really heard about the yuppies getting to Texas yet, can any of you Texans elaborate?

Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Haven't really heard about the yuppies getting to Texas yet, can any of you Texans elaborate?
Yuppies area everywhere........ seriously.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
That happens? Ahahaha
Yes, it does. Get out and see the world a bit rather than sitting in snarky judgement.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,324 times
Quote:
This is spot on. I would just specify that it's dense concentrations of Section 8 that ruin good neighborhoods. Show me great neighborhoods with Section 8 vs. bad ones that have the same and I'm sure anyone will begin to notice a pattern. In fact, I know of a neighborhood back in Columbus didn't start to receive investments for improvements, public or private, until the dense Section 8 housing was knocked down and voila: the numbers of shootings and stabbings going on in the area dropped overnight: literally. Then comes the city with revitalization dollars and a couple of entrepreneurs opening up bar-restaurants in a place no one would have thought to venture to at night beforehand.

I agree with the laughable use of "yuppie" and "hipster" as though they were interchangeable. There is a huge difference: hipster bars as a rule are great while yuppie bars are emphatically not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.