Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
What happens is that creative artists (musicians, designers, writers, fine artists) find cheap, albeit rougher neighborhoods that allow them to ply their craft without material burdens.

A second wave then descends on these neighborhoods, most have a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit and provide services to the first group (Coffee houses, restaurants, cooperative ventures such as copy services, mailing services, food coops)

When the neighborhood starts to look safe and is still relatively affordable. Suburban college kids move in.

Next the Douchebags, notice-me-dammits and scenesters move in from the American Hinterlands. These suburban jackholes living on thier parents dole become urbanized and are known as Hipsters.

Yuppies decide the area is trendy, and start buying property and driving up the rents. While the neighborhood is now clean, the many of the original creative types cannot afford to live there anymore, move out and the neighborhood loses its soul.

wow! This explains it so well. It really does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I think it's ridiculous to despise hipsters and yuppies that were once hipsters. Obviously a lot of hipsters become yuppies, because most of them are educated and intelligent and aspire for higher-class jobs. "Hipster/yuppie" are terms for jealous whiners to describe people who are privileged and (usually) successful, cause little to no crime, clean up after themselves, and improve every area they enter.

I'll take a hipster or yuppie in my city over a junkie, hoodrat, or uneducated slacker anyday. Don't like them? Then enjoy living in backwater slums or mediocre towns for the unsuccessful.
So the whole world is jealous whiners? Because everyone uses the terms hipster and yuppie. I know plenty of educated people who do not want to be grouped in with either group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 01:12 PM

630 posts, read 994,180 times
Portland and Seattle!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,081 times
Quote:
What happens is that creative artists (musicians, designers, writers, fine artists) find cheap, albeit rougher neighborhoods that allow them to ply their craft without material burdens.

A second wave then descends on these neighborhoods, most have a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit and provide services to the first group (Coffee houses, restaurants, cooperative ventures such as copy services, mailing services, food coops)

When the neighborhood starts to look safe and is still relatively affordable. Suburban college kids move in.

Next the Douchebags, notice-me-dammits and scenesters move in from the American Hinterlands. These suburban jackholes living on thier parents dole become urbanized and are known as Hipsters.

Yuppies decide the area is trendy, and start buying property and driving up the rents. While the neighborhood is now clean, the many of the original creative types cannot afford to live there anymore, move out and the neighborhood loses its soul.
This describes Silver Lake in Los Angeles to a T. Silver Lake 20 years ago was a lower-middle class Latino barrio, now that the hipsters have move in became almost 1/3 White in 2013.

Hipsters revitalize communities that used to be abandoned. It doesn't make sense why they get so much flack from people.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
This describes Silver Lake in Los Angeles to a T. Silver Lake 20 years ago was a lower-middle class Latino barrio, now that the hipsters have move in became almost 1/3 White in 2013.

Hipsters revitalize communities that used to be abandoned. It doesn't make sense why they get so much flack from people.

maybe because most of them don't have jobs as adults, behave superior, and are elitist snobs who make down to earth liberals look bad?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post

did you read what I wrote...

"Next the Douchebags, notice-me-dammits and scenesters move in from the American Hinterlands. These suburban jackholes living on thier parents dole become urbanized and are known as Hipsters."

Old 02-11-2013, 04:25 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I think it's ridiculous to despise hipsters and yuppies that were once hipsters. Obviously a lot of hipsters become yuppies, because most of them are educated and intelligent and aspire for higher-class jobs. "Hipster/yuppie" are terms for jealous whiners to describe people who are privileged and (usually) successful, cause little to no crime, clean up after themselves, and improve every area they enter.

I'll take a hipster or yuppie in my city over a junkie, hoodrat, or uneducated slacker anyday. Don't like them? Then enjoy living in backwater slums or mediocre towns for the unsuccessful.
Nice job reducing the world to a binary where everyone's a rich white person or some kind of deranged criminal Pretty much embodies the self-centered arrogance that gets threads like this started.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
did you read what I wrote...

"Next the Douchebags, notice-me-dammits and scenesters move in from the American Hinterlands. These suburban jackholes living on thier parents dole become urbanized and are known as Hipsters."
Silverlake is teetering on that edge. The thing that is interesting about LA is that most neighborhoods have become re-vitalized without getting too "bougie" for their own good. Santa Monica may be the only one that has and that is a stretch (I apologize if I already posted something similar to this in the thread).

My building may be getting to that point itself - the person with a parking spot next to me has one of those hatchback Porches Why on earth you would drive that thing in Hollywood is beyond me, basically asking for a break-in or body damage in the inevitable fender bender.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 AM

486 posts, read 862,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't think anyone would argue with that but you can't call that improvement as the result of yuppies taking over. Especially when it chases out the residents of neighborhoods who have lived there for many years.

My submission that yuppies have "ruined" Portland is due to the fact that they have made it so expensive, we no longer have the variety of economic diversity of people we once had living here.

Portland has become the personification of a city of "haves and have nots." That is the result of the yuppification of a city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't know about every city but what you described is a good description of Yuppies in Portland. My discomfort with them was I lived right in thier main neighborhood.( The Pearl District of Portland. ) Or I should say they became the majority resident. I felt very much the outsider. Everything became high end expensive stores and businesses. The only everyday businesses to go to that were not high end were, Safeway, Subway, Quizonos, Rite Aid and some banks. Everything else was doggie botiques, doggy hotels, Expensive cafe's, dress shops, and other high end shops. Anything and everything to let it be known that the Yuppie was the target resident, and everyone else was just more tax revenue. Very unwelcoming feeling. Now and then some of these Yuppie residents showed some minor level of friendliness, However many wouldn't give you the time of day. They would walk up and down the streets, with thier eyes focused on thier IPhone. I think the lack of common courtesy, and the focus on themself to the point it is nauseating was my biggest dislike about them. Perhaps if one got to know some of them or they allowed that. Then a different impression might be formed. They just seem very self centered and rather thoughtless. When I would see them in public places, they seemed so much younger than I was at their age. I noticed many seemed younger in behavior than thier actual age. I mean these people are well into thier 20's 30's and even 40's Some seemed rather immature to come right out and say it. I felt a number of them could have used a few years in the military to grow up some.

When I moved away from Portland my contact with that type of resident ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The problem with most "yuppies" that people speak bad of is they don't have taste. They are only consumers of art and they would gladly trade sterility for authenticity. Yuppies eat at chain restaurants that they don't even know are chain restaurants. Yuppies buy "ethnic" cuisine at whole foods b/c they don't want to have to get cash out at a real ethnic store. But what is someone who likes to move around to do? People who move around bring new customs and trends to new cities so that is also a good thing, but there are those who stay there 30-40 years and feel like they need to "hold it down." I've yet to find a city I'd want to "settle down" in as I gladly pay the premium in not getting rent control or making money on an investment for the experience of a new city.

His post was worded a bit arrogantly, but overall it is true, it is what creates the hate for people doing well in NYC and LA for instance. Both cities = successful people with media exposure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
I'd personally say they haven't necessarily "ruined" a place like Baltimore but they really don't know their place and don't seem to respect the communities, their culture, or the history. The only way they "ruin" Philadelphia in my opinion is the way they try to speak for everybody, the way they write for local publications as the majority, the way they act entitled to neighborhoods and like they're more entitled than the groups who made it a community in the first place, the way they make us look bad when it comes to our fan-base in sports, and lastly the way they feel entitled to plan the entire city and to affect any section they want to. Of course, don't even get me started on that Occupy crap.

I don't think they could ever really ruin New York. It's too big and far too populated for that to happen in my opinion. Same with Chicago. Cleveland and Detroit I could definitely see happening.
Grew up in a Chicago blue collar and middle class neighborhood which also had many immigrants.
Wouldn't change it for the world. It is great when a distressed area can turn around but some
areas in Chicago which I'll term as "yuppified" stripped the character and charm of the neighborhoods.
Local ethnic, mom and pop shops, bars and restaurants were not frequented by the yuppies who
were not explorers & felt more comfortable with some of the posts above i.e, Starbucks, Whole Foods,
doggy boutiques....get the mentality. The neighborhood demographic was narrowed to a specific
age range. Lack of diversity which would include younger and older generations talking to each other
and helping each other went by by.
Many who moved in these areas came from the suburbs or from other parts of the country & claimed
their domain and opinions on how things should be in their new city.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Grew up in a Chicago blue collar and middle class neighborhood which also had many immigrants.
Wouldn't change it for the world. It is great when a distressed area can turn around but some
areas in Chicago which I'll term as "yuppified" stripped the character and charm of the neighborhoods.
Local ethnic, mom and pop shops, bars and restaurants were not frequented by the yuppies who
were not explorers & felt more comfortable with some of the posts above i.e, Starbucks, Whole Foods,
doggy boutiques....get the mentality. The neighborhood demographic was narrowed to a specific
age range. Lack of diversity which would include younger and older generations talking to each other
and helping each other went by by.
Many who moved in these areas came from the suburbs or from other parts of the country & claimed
their domain and opinions on how things should be in their new city.
This and all the other quotes that were made in this post are exactly on target. I also grew up in Chicago neighborhoods of this type. My dad was a blue collar worker and our Chicago neighborhood was as blue collar as you could get. We had what peope say they want today, walkable neighborhoods with public transportation and local ma and pa shops but it wasn't considered "cool" or "trendy" and we didn't to pay a steep price from them. Nor were they high end like Whole Foods or Fancy restaraunts or expensive little shops but were usually owned by first generation European immigrants.

While one does not have to use the word "ruined" by yuppies there are words that can certainly be used to show the changes not only of our neighborhoods but the general trend in which this country is going. That trend to me is that the rich are getting richer and the middle class is slowly getting strangled and pushed out of their niche and more and more into lower standards of living.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:57 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
In answer to the question I really have no idea...maybe the north side of Chicago? (my dad would say so).

Yuppie is sort of an interesting term. Back in the late 1970s it was a younger, early career demographic....not a super-affluent demographic, actually a bit on the counterculture/hipster side. These were the first wave of gentrifiers and house restorers in some cities...hence the appelation "urban" (vs early career folks who would settle in sububria)

Now I think it has a sort of upscale, elite connotation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.