Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:02 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times

Advertisements

I'm a yuppie. Sorry for ruining everyone's lives.

Should I commit suicide now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:56 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
I for one prefer the easy availability of crack and prostitutes on my street corners than food trucks and starbucks stores..
Well, that would certainly explain a lot regarding the current state of affairs in this country.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:44 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post

Well, most of the people on here would probably label me a hipster, so I suppose we could kill each other.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:47 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Denver....they have driven prices sky high relative to the average wages. This place would be awesome if all of the hipster douchebags and pot heads left.
That sounds like something my dad would have posted LMAO. Bravo bravo. I laughed that was pretty good.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:

Being a yuppie is better than trust fund kids everyone hates them except when you have them for friends and they pay for everything yayyy lol

Old 04-16-2015, 09:04 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
If you OWN property in a neighborhood then yuppies are a BLESSING.

BUT

If you rent then they're awful b/c that's when the rents rise and you're broke behind gets pushed out!

I know plenty of working class black folk in Harlem(NYC) who bought their condo's for $150k back in the 1990's and now their condo's are worth $850k+. Lucky lucky lucky...

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-16-2015 at 09:15 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Well, most of the people on here would probably label me a hipster, so I suppose we could kill each other.
We could kill each other with nice soft expensive rope made out of a material that no one has ever heard of

I used to hate hipsters. Until I realized the last 3 girls I've dated were hipsters. Yeah.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Being a yuppie is better than trust fund kids everyone hates them except when you have them for friends and they pay for everything yayyy lol
I get why people hate yuppies. But I legit have worked hard for everything I have. However, I'm still a cheap ass and enjoy PBR every once in a whi.....sh*t. I'm a hipster

Old 04-17-2015, 02:49 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
We could kill each other with nice soft expensive rope made out of a material that no one has ever heard of

I used to hate hipsters. Until I realized the last 3 girls I've dated were hipsters. Yeah.......

I get why people hate yuppies. But I legit have worked hard for everything I have. However, I'm still a cheap ass and enjoy PBR every once in a whi.....sh*t. I'm a hipster
How ironic that yuppies and hipsters sought education and work for there needs. Then some cry they are bad, and neighborhoods, like a scourge on society? LOL

Yet back in the Hippy error Looooong ago? It was quite the opposite. They were the generation that rebelled to the point. Working and higher education was for someone else? Of they failed to use it after it kept them out of Vietnam? Of course the got older and conformed more to be part of society in a good way.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 AM

93 posts, read 101,236 times
Default Boston - Especially South Boston

By this do you mean gentrification?
I'm sure this is just cause its my capital city.
Boston used to have a very tough reputation. And entertainment, movies, news etc usually shows this.

In reality, south boston used to be home to blue collar people, union workers putting up buildings in the city is now filled with accountants.

The cities great but gentrification is pushing people out to where rent is cheap...and whats left? Yuppies.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
How ironic that yuppies and hipsters sought education and work for there needs. Then some cry they are bad, and neighborhoods, like a scourge on society? LOL

Yet back in the Hippy error Looooong ago? It was quite the opposite. They were the generation that rebelled to the point. Working and higher education was for someone else? Of they failed to use it after it kept them out of Vietnam? Of course the got older and conformed more to be part of society in a good way.
I mean I get why people don't like either yuppies OR hipsters. A lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of both groups have a sense of entitlement and pretentiousness that makes it hard to be around. However, you don't find that only among hipsters OR yuppies. Hell, some of the most snobby people I know are blue-collar folk who tell everyone that only they know what struggle and hard work is. Which is funny, because I worked in construction and McDonalds as a teenager. Not every yuppie or hipster is created the same.

There's something to be said about gentrification. However, cities change over time. We are at a stage in American history where the poor are slowly being pushed out to the exurbs as the inner cities become expensive, since they tend to be closer to job centers. The apartment I'm living in 10 years ago only cost $425/month because it was in a dodgy area of town. However, now that Koreatown isn't some ghetto, gang-ridden hellhole, it's now $750.

I personally see it as motivation. But then again, I don't have a family so my priorities are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.