Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:42 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times

Advertisements

Yeah, local govt's spend less on law enforcement and welfare/in turn your taxes are lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 12:39 PM

572 posts, read 1,994,747 times
I enjoy diversity but what I don't want is someone disturbing my space. In other words, someone likes rap, okay, but do not play it so loud as to disturb me or take the party inside when it's late and when you leave respect the neighborhood. A lot of people, black, white and in between do not respect people around them and this is part of what causes the problems.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
I guess it's time to move to Daly City or somewhere else on the West Coast.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:05 AM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Default it's all relative to.......

what you want. I think the original post should have clarified that the lack of diversity means less crime(good luck finding no crime), minimal racial tension(even all whatever communities get some kind of "tension"), a good education and so on. I think people seem to think that certain groups of people only want that and that is not true racially/ethnically. There are communities that are mostly people of color, that are nice and the people value all of those things in this country, but we let the media and other things shape our view, which tends to be narrow and not outside of the box.

As a Black person that grew up in a mostly White community outside of a major Upstate NY city, while it was a nice community, generally speaking, I still at times had issues with race. It wasn't like I was bad kid or something, but it still happens. So, you can run, but you can't hide from reality. It might be one thing where you are at now, but there's always something to deal with wherever you go.

I find it interesting about the flight thing, because Blacks and other people of color are moving even further out to suburbs now. So, what happens then? Are people going to move back into cities? When you consider what is going on with Gas, foreclosures and cities now trying to revitalize urban neighborhoods, people might not have any choice but to live together and work things out.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:40 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,459 times
Edited for being tired of reading my own opinions.

Last edited by the_pines; 06-26-2008 at 10:59 AM..

Old 06-26-2008, 01:33 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsfdg View Post
i Hope More People In Your Mindset Move "out Of The City" Too, Because I'm Sick Of Ignorant People Making Sweeping Generalizations Of Races Then Claiming To Be Sick Of Racial Prejudice.

thank you. couldn't have said it better myself..

Last edited by john_starks; 06-26-2008 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-26-2008, 01:47 PM

37 posts, read 115,429 times
I think it really varies... not all 'diversity' is the same. But whether you think it's good or bad in general, it's totally normal and understandable for a person to want to live in a mono cultural place. That *is* human nature. A lot of racism is simply based on cultural differences... for instance, around 1900, racism against blacks in northern US cities was significantly declining. The reason for this was that the blacks there were integrating into the mainstream culture and society, and performing well - lacking in social ills that some ethnic groups had (like the Irish for instance). But then, mass migrations of Southern blacks to the north changed things, and racism became a big thing again -- and it happened for a reason. The new arrivals had many of the social ills that the rest of society did not want. Even the established blacks in the northern cities spoke very negatively about the new coming blacks (even printed in black newspapers at the time).

Personally I don't like living around much diversity, in a cultural sense. I don't like living around cultures of violence, criminality, hate, single parent households, and ignorance. If I think a location is nice and mono cultural, I don't mind/care if there is a large mix of 'races' or not... to me it's all about culture. Having a certain skin color or ethic background doesn't mean they can't still be a part of a culture that you want. It's just that when the ethnic 'diversity' ("diversity" in the modern American academia liberal sense) grows, in the USA that usually ends up meaning multi cultural, multi lingual, high crime, anti-intellectual, terrible performance in schools, poor, etc etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Yeah, local govt's spend less on law enforcement and welfare/in turn your taxes are lower.
Plus they have a much more skilled/educated tax base to draw from.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 PM

57 posts, read 204,709 times
It's just that when the ethnic 'diversity' ("diversity" in the modern American academia liberal sense) grows, in the USA that usually ends up meaning multi cultural, multi lingual, high crime, anti-intellectual, terrible performance in schools, poor, etc etc..

Welcome to Arizona - diversity capital of the US... gangbangers and illegals step to the head of the line. Biggest dump of a state east of MEXalifornia and west of MEXas!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:01 PM

343 posts, read 932,310 times
Diversity is something that should be celebrated and encouraged. Please don't assume that racial heterogeneity is cause of crime. That simply makes you seem as if you are predisposed to negative views of those not like you. I hope you reassess your considerations and decide it is perhaps best to not deport them all.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:05 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deportallofthem View Post
Where did you move? When I moved out of the city, I specifically looked somewhere with people who I had much in common with. I was sick of Mexicans killing Blacks, hate crimes, and racial prejudice.. etc. I needed some sanity in my life. Charles on this forum said, "Common culture = common values = safety.
So called diversity = chaos and crime. Not a suitable envrionment for children or teenagers. "

I must say that I kind of agree with him.
It's funny you should say this. I agree with you in theory. I did not want to live someplace that had a lot of transplants from major northeastern cities either directly or by way of Florida (halfbacks). I'm trying to get away from those people.

Common values = common taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.