Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer1212 View Post
Well the numbers I got for school diversity is from my school yearbook from this year so I think they would be right. Are your numbers from the 2000 Census because I believe it has gotton more diverse since then.
No, it was 2006. But mainly, the point is about the virtues (or not) of "diversity"...and what it really means and how applied, defined, and patterns and etc.

I am in a "racially diverse' school. And there are almost NO problems associated in terms of violence, etc. BUT...difference groups tend to segregate themselves naturally. Black kids usually eat lunch together, hispanics, and whites the same. There is no hate nor racism involved in it...just people doing as people will do. Why does that simple fact which, really, everyone knows is true, make a certain ilk get hysterical, and something that needs to be changed by federal mandate?

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-09-2008 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 10:22 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,973 times
I live in a neighborhood with middle-class diversity and it is fine. The only problem is the odd household with undisciplined kids causing vandalism on our streets and the same property looking like a trash bin. Now that is the economic and social underclass and I suspect that is where the problem comes from, not diversity per se, but groups who were lower class in education, social behavior, and economics in their home country and the move did nothing to change them. As for the homegrown types it stems from again generations of undereducated, poorly raised, undisciplined offspring from single-parent families drifting in the wind so to speak. Trying to get away from this is nothing to be guilty about and, frankly, is not a problem we can solve. It has to come from within its own community leadership. At the same time all diversity doesn't equal this.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 PM

12 posts, read 64,057 times
I have a great place for you in its lack of diversity: Saudi Arabia. Move there, I am sure they would love to assimilate you. Semper Fidelis. --Freedom of speech is protected, so I won't hate on you for being ignorant. Just remember that many of my Marine brethren are of Black and/or Mexican. In fact, there is a joke among Marines that USMC stands for "Uncle Sam's Mexican Cavalry". Does that make you sick to your stomach that many of the people who protect your right to be ignorant are Mexican and Black as well? They are also Filipino just like me. If you got problems with that, move out of my great country called America.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:58 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Back when I was a kid, our family lived in the city of Chicago. This was back in the late '60s, early '70s. Our neighborhood was all white. Slowly, this began to change, then it became a full blown stampede to get out. Back then, this was know as 'white flight'. Everyone on our block was moving out to the suburbs or beyond. Many long-time residents wanted to stay and our local state representative was concerned about the neighborhood changing. His advice was 'get out now'. You won't stop this once it starts. It happened before with neighborhoods to the east of where we lived.

Sadly, this neighborhood where I spent my young childhood is now a ghetto and I wouldn't go in there on a bright sunny day - that's really a shame. I guess that's progress in the name of diversity. I guess this is not the kind of thing you are supposed to talk about in polite society. Everyone know this goes on, but just doesn't acknowledge it. Well, at my age I tend to speak my mind and don't care to be politically correct, since that means denying the reality of the situation.

Since that time I've lived in the Chicago suburbs or rural areas around Chicago where there is little to no diversity and I like it that way. From my perspective, diversity doesn't work. After my experience with that situation at 15 years old, I will stay with my own kind. I'm not looking for diversity and I consider it to be a 4 letter word.

At work we get diversity training and such things rammed down our throats. I'm so sick of this crap. When did all this nonsense start anyway.
Very good post.

It is such a shame to see so many good neighborhoods being taken over by "diversity." Entire towns, in fact. Towns that use to be nice until diversity kicked in.

I agree with the people on here that say that diversity is a mix of ethnic groups, not just black and white.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 AM

68 posts, read 233,599 times
>>>In this country, minority groups are at a huge disadvantage financially (not gonna place blame, or state reasons...that list could take forever).<<<

You've GOT to be KIDDING ME!???!?!!?!?!?? How in the h*LL are minorities financially disadvantaged? No more so than the blue collar or lower middle class WHITE families, I assure you-in fact, LESS SO. It's easier to go to school, get a job (and keep it) as well as all sorts of different leg ups for minorities than it is for a white person. Now, if you are referring minorities who are broke compared to whites who are rich, then yeah, there's a big financial difference. But sit there and say they are more challenged financially JUST bc of their race, that's ludicrous. I'd like to have the $$ for all that bling and rims and music blaring and pay my rent, eat at the restaurants I work at (where all this bling arrives) and still have a little time/money to flash some extra cash around and pay for daycare for my children. Oh wait, I'm white. I don't get that kinda help from the government.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times
You can live in an area that is "diverse" along racial lines, a number of socioeconomic groups coexist or with people with vastly differing opinions on social issues, politics, culture etc.

My current home is in Kansas City and I've found it is not all that diverse except along some racial lines. Basically these people are among the most ignorant, paranoid superficial and pretentious that I've had the misfortune to live among. Most of these people think and act alike and cannot handle or will not tolerate someone that does not think along the same "party" line as they. If you can shoehorn yourself into being classified as a mainstream Democrat or Republican you will probably be fine here. But if you are an independent thinker and rugged individualist then you will not be welcome here.

Thus, if you are looking for a lack of diversity among a "diverse" looking population then try the Kansas City area.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:58 AM

68 posts, read 233,599 times
and I've finally read them all.
I celebrate CULTURAL diversity, not racial. If your culture has you speaking in an ignorant, hateful, loud-mouthed manner, I'm likely not going to associate with you. If your culture deems it necessary for you to attack me (verbally) and make ASSumptions that I must treat you differently bc the government says I have to or bc you think I (or my culture/race) owes you, then I'm not going to associate with you.
If your culture is such that it goes against everything I believe in as a WOMAN and as an AMERICAN, then I'm liable not to associate with you. I am not going to allow you (without me telling you about your newfound freedom) to walk behind your man, allow him to beat you or allow him to dictate your actions bc of your culture, bc most of those ideals infringe upon your RIGHT as a human being in our country. Culture be damned.
If your culture is such that you find it necessary to continually treat people with disrespect and you offer ****-poor communication skills and can't seem to speak the English language, although you've grown up here (Americans, I am speaking of here, not immigrants) then I'm liable not only to be offended by your mere presence but I'm also not going to want to be around you.
So, if you are diverse BUT educated-either from a book, the tv, the internet, your mom, dad, aunt, uncle, higher education-I don't care-if you act/sound, treat yourself and others in a manner that is educated and respectful, I will likely want to be around you and treat you in the same manner.

I like different cultures and beliefs (barring one that is disrespectful to women or men, I suppose-though I've never seen one like that) but I do not like the ****-poor attitudes of some cultures that bleed into their race so much that everyone's stereotype is correct and factual.

And with that, I am moving to an area that is predominantly white yet has other cultures/races thrown in... yet for the most part, they are hispanic, native American and Asian. If the ghetto even comes near me, I'm moving. Period. Call it what you will.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

there is no reason to argue with ****in vanilla suburbanites......
I think this might be the same kind of racial/cultural tension the op wanted to flee from.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 PM

23 posts, read 72,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I think that true diversity is a great thing. True diversity is when you literally get people from all over the world, a little bit of everyone, where no one minority group dominates over the others. The high school I went to was extremely diverse-- the school was probably about 75% white, but the other 25% had a huge array of ethnicities and nationalities: Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Indians, Russians, Ukrainians, Middle Easterners, plus African Americans and a few Hispanics. That's what I mean when I think of diversity. Unfortunately, when left-wing ideologues say "diversity," what they really mean is "black and Hispanic." A neighborhood could be a 100% Hispanic neighborhood, and they would label it as "diverse." That's b.s. in my opinion. Neighborhoods that are 95-100% Hispanic/ Mexican (and in the Phoenix area, there are boatloads of them) are not diverse-- they are mono-ethnic, just of a different group.
I really agree with this. When you have enough true diversity, you actually sort of forget about race. I guess parts of NYC would come to mind.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
In my opinion crime and all that accompany have more to do with socioeconomics and values than race.

In my neighborhood, we have all types of races within doors of each other.

We all get along great because we all value the same thing; good schools, peace and quiet, friendly, respectful neighbors, and no crime. We don't blare our stereos at each other, respect the neighborhood, the city, and most importantly, each other.

We appreciate what we have and don't take it for granted.
Basically........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.