Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 PM

367 posts, read 941,758 times

Advertisements

I am from South FL, and feel it is not urban enough, yet this is the most urban metro area FL has. What are the best urban metro areas in the country? When I say best, I mean with lots of museums, cultural/educational activities, events in general, safety, good jobs and cost of living. I'd like to hear your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,101,033 times
Ever hear of New York City.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,321,301 times
I would say as in metros OVERALL, imo these are the best/most interesting metros:

1. LA Metro
2. Bay Area
3. NYC Metro
4. DC Metro
5. Chicago Metro

With NYC and Chicago I don't find their suburbs to be that great but that's because the actual cities are fantastic. But if you are looking for overall metro I think LA and SF are the best.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:38 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Los Angeles
NYC

Bay or Chicago as number 3

Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 PM

90 posts, read 208,220 times
NYC metro and LA metro.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
My favorite metro areas are:

NYC
DC
Chicago
Boston
San Francisco
Philadelphia

These have the best combination of amenities, activities, jobs and economy IMO. I will say that I'm still warming up to LA.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,836,665 times
Wichita
Sioux Falls
Green Bay
Bangor
Flint
Reno
Fresno

so trendy and urban they will knock your socks off

Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,705,086 times
Most urban Metro areas will be:

New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington D.C.
Philadelphia
The Bay Area
Boston

...after that it starts to get blurry.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,131,436 times
Cleveland and Detroit are pretty urban, though much of the urban core is deteriorating.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
I am from South FL, and feel it is not urban enough, yet this is the most urban metro area FL has. What are the best urban metro areas in the country? When I say best, I mean with lots of museums, cultural/educational activities, events in general, safety, good jobs and cost of living. I'd like to hear your opinions.
As a South Florida native myself I get your dilemma. I moved to Washington, DC and loved it, having lived there nearly 10 years. It's a nice middle ground without the 24/7 madness of NYC, which I do love to visit but find overwhelming vertically as well as sensory. The cost of living is up there, but so are salaries typically as most seem to live quite comfortably in DC with a thriving dining/nightlife scene and busy retail sector. The Northwest section of the city is my favorite with vibrant neighborhoods such as Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle and Logan Circle. The SE side near Capitol Hill is also desirable with neighborhoods such as Eastern Market and the inner ring neighborhoods around the Capitol itself (7th Street or lower). Culturally DC ranks nearly on par with NYC in my opinion with every facet of similarity other than Broadway obviously. Most of the museums are free and exhibits change often. There are a multitude of concerts and live performances at some great venues like the Verizon Center, Kennedy Center and the outdoor venues at Wolftrap and the Carter Barron Amphitheater. It's an hour and a half from the Shenandoah/Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia as well as surprisingly very good Virginia wineries (about an hour away) and a couple of hours to the Maryland beaches. NW DC is quite safe for an urban area with not only DC Police protection/patrol but also Secret Service Uniformed, US Park Service Police and Federal Protective Services Police patrolling 24/7 with jurisdiction. The Dupont Circle area in particular (because of all of the embassies) is rife with uniformed patrols. I never felt unsafe walking at night in the area and never had any bad experiences personally (or anyone I knew for that matter). The job market is the best in the country in terms of the "big cities", sitting around 5% currently. A common misconception is that all work is government related, as there is a diverse jobs market befitting such a large population area...even in DC itself. I would highly recommend checking it out and visiting as a local versus a tourist. Walk the neighborhoods and get a feel over a weekend. It's a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.